Best Horror Movies

Started by Jake_82, November 24, 2003, 09:03:28 PM

Gamblour.

Dude if Elm Street three is the one with the kid who has that hearing aid, then this is the movie that left a very scarring image in my mind. I won't ruin it for anyone, but goddamn, that scene in the metal works with the pins and such. AMAZING!
WWPTAD?

modage

no, unfortunately the hearing aid was in the absolute worst installment,  Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Figure 8

Quote from: matt35mmA theater here is having midnight showings of Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, Shawn of the Dead, and Army of Darkness.  I may go to a few of those.  I think Evil Dead 2 and Dead Alive would be the top two to see on the big screen for me.
Yeah, here a theater is showing Shaun of the Dead and Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight on Halloween.

modage

The Shining (1980)
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

WHATS IT ABOUT? Stanley Kubrick adaptation of the Stephen King novel.

IS IT SCARY? Yes.  Even as iconic as the movie has become, (I can't watch it without thinking about "No beer and no TV make Homer something something."), you can't deny the creepiness of some of the images or how effective Jack Nicholson is as a lunatic.    

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? Everything.  Which is why it's pretty commonly regarded as one of the greatest horror films of all time.  

SCARIEST MOMENT: It would be easy to say anything in the last 20 minutes but for me it's a tossup between the cutaway to the bartender Lloyd when you think Jack's talking to himself and when Jack meets Delbert Grady and over the course of a few minutes he goes from friendly and oblivious to telling Jack to murder his family.  

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because it's Kubrick, which means that watching it for the 100th time could still bring out something new.  For me it was noticing that Jack Nicholson supposedly playing 'normal' at the beginning of the film still seems psychotic all the way through!    

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This is a horror film?  The trailer was pretty misleading.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Fernando

Quote from: modageWHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because it's Kubrick...

Quote from: PubrickINVALIDATED

RegularKarate

wait... are those horror movie skulls or just halloween themed movie skulls (stars)?  

I mean... if Shining only gets 9, what gets 10?  If you say anything other than the exorcist, I'll be surprised.

cine

ohh is this that movie the funny trailer was about???

Gamblour.

Yeah, my only question is the skulls. In terms of "horrormovieness" it deserves 9, because it lacks that cheese that a horror movie might have, classically. But in terms of horror or just movies, it's a ten.
WWPTAD?

modage

basically since i'm only ranking my favorites to begin with, everything in this thread is The Best of The Best as far as I'm concerned.  so, within the top 10% of horror films, I'm just ranking how great each of these are compared to each other.  i thought rather than just giving everything high marks, which would get boring, i'm trying to differentiate amongst all my recommendations.  

my initial instinct was to give the Shining a 10 but after i watched it i felt there had to be a little more room upward and decided that a 10 was out there somewhere and i'll know it when i watch it.

socketlevel

Quote from: RegularKaratewait... are those horror movie skulls or just halloween themed movie skulls (stars)?  

I mean... if Shining only gets 9, what gets 10?  If you say anything other than the exorcist, I'll be surprised.

touche,

the only other contenders i can think of right now would be rosemary's baby, halloween, or the original Dawn of the Dead.

Speaking of halloween, the best October 31st double bill i ever took in was a 7 o'clock screening of the shining followed by a 3d presentation of Friday the 13th part 3.  it was classic masterpiece horror followed by fun screen popping shlock (yet in 3d, on a side not i was really impressed with the D.O.P.'s work in this film.  it's stunning at times, but maybe that's just the 3dness)

the royale cinema shows friday the 13th 3d once every couple years on halloween in toronto.  whoever is up this side of the border should check it out if they get the chance.  it's not the red/blue glasses either, they suck...

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

modage

Alien (1978)
"You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? A perfect organism. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."

WHATS IT ABOUT? In what could SO EASILY have been a B movie, Ridley Scott makes every conceivable right move turning this monster movie into a timeless masterpiece.

IS IT SCARY? Yes.  The design of the Alien creature as well as the facehugger cut so deep into our fears that they still have the power to disturb.    

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? Too much to mention, but I'll single out Sigourney Weaver for being so fantastic as Ripley.  Though the role of female horror hero would soon grow tired and ridiculous, Weaver plays Ripley perfectly.  Without coming off too weak or macho she makes her completely believable.  

SCARIEST MOMENT: The last few minutes when you realize Ripley is not alone.  

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? It's amazing to see how well this film holds up almost 30 years after its release.  Besides the computer equipment there is almost nothing to date the movie.  The only reason not to believe this could've been released today is that they don't make movies this good anymore.    

Brazoliange

Omaha has Evil Dead 2, Beetlejuice, and The Nightmare Before Christmas coming up.

(yet no RHPS  :yabbse-angry: )
Long live the New Flesh

Alethia

last house on the left....its goofy as all hell sometimes but when the shit really goes down it is HORRIFYING....that's all i will say, check it out yourselves...

modage

Rosemary's Baby (1968)
"What have you done to him? You maniacs!"

WHATS IT ABOUT? Roman Polanski's first American film is a classic tale of paranoia (and possible Satan-worshipping.)

IS IT SCARY? Not at first. But as the film moves along, the more paranoid Rosemary becomes, the more tension builds to a climax which does get pretty freaky.      

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? The haunting lullaby theme, how a haircut makes Mia Farrow look even more vulnerable, and how Polanski manages to weave a myriad of subtexts into the best movie William Castle ever made.  

SCARIEST MOMENT: When Rosemary locks herself into her apartment alone, but moments later 2 figures skip past a doorway behind her.

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because the AFI ranked it as one of the 10 most thrilling movie's ever made.  And because it's fun to think that in 1968 newcomer Polanski made a better movie than Hitchcock could've with this material.