Is collecting movies a worthless art? (hoarders need not apply)

Started by Stefen, November 12, 2010, 05:41:55 PM

O.

I don't have enough money to watch all the movies I like, and will buy DVDs only in Blu-Ray if I really like the movie. That new Kubrick DVD collection that came out in May is kind of what I'm referring to, although I don't think I'll buy it [anytime soon] because $100 and some odd dollars is a bit more than I can justify spending on DVDs when I can spend it on more practical, essential things at the moment.

So I'll do what Ebert does. See if Netflix has it on instant, then check Hulu, then if it's old enough, I'll check if it's streamed on public domain sites, then I'll see if I can rent on Amazon. If I can't find it by then I'll pirate it.
superb

Pwaybloe

Quote from: tpfkabi on October 06, 2011, 09:40:24 PM
Quote from: S.R. on October 06, 2011, 05:17:37 PM
I was going to put all my Criterion DVD's on Ebay but found out I could only get $3-$4 for each one. It's not even worth it. Collectors items my ass.
$3-$4? I have never seen even used Criterion at that price. If you have any OOP there are a lot of people (I think?) who would pay a nice sum.

I think he means a NET income of $3-4 (after ebay commissions, shipping, etc.).  Or he is just selling his most prized possessions of Chasing Amy, Armageddon, and The Rock. 

Stefen

Oh, wuteva.

I had some OOP ones and they aren't fetching very much coin on the open market. Silence of the Lambs is only going for like $4

The other ones I was getting rid of are...

Rashomon
Sanjuro
Autumn Sonata
George Washington
(this one I almost don't want to part with, but a BD upgrade is inevitable I suppose)
The Red Shoes
Last Temptation of Christ
39 Steps
Fear and Loathing
Rushmore
Traffic
Solaris
Brazil

Some of my non Criterions were actually fetching a better price. Company of Wolves and Forgotten Silver were worth more than any of the other ones.

DVD collecting was a worthless art.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Ravi

Quote from: S.R. on October 07, 2011, 05:52:46 PM
I had some OOP ones and they aren't fetching very much coin on the open market. Silence of the Lambs is only going for like $4

Who wants a 13-year-old non-anamorphic DVD now that better DVDs and a Blu-Ray have been released?

tpfkabi

Quote from: Ravi on October 09, 2011, 04:05:37 AM

Who wants a 13-year-old non-anamorphic DVD now that better DVDs and a Blu-Ray have been released?

There are Criterion diehards who want every version of every release ever released.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

Quote from: Ravi on October 09, 2011, 04:05:37 AM

One of these chumps.

Quote from: tpfkabi on October 09, 2011, 12:49:32 PM
There are Criterion diehards who want every version of every release ever released.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

72teeth

I like having a special relationship with whatever copy i've had longest...
i gave away all of my 200+ VHS collection as soon as i started buying DVDs, and it'll be the goddamn regret im screamin about on my death bed. Never again, i buy for keeps.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza