Scarlett Johansson

Started by ono, January 13, 2004, 11:16:22 PM

Chest Rockwell

Somehow I knew it would happen, and somehow I'm not totally against it. Could actually be interesting.

Chest Rockwell

I don't normally like to do this but...

Pubrick

let's not attract more freaks than we already do. there's places for that on the internet, places that have been doing it for longer and are quite extensive in their collection. if anyone wants the pics bad enuff they'll find those sites quite easily. it's lame for us to try to compete so for that reason no more of that please. especially when some pics are posted years after they've been available -- i'm talking about the previous page.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_en_ce/people_johansson

Hasty crowns Johansson as woman of year
By NANCY RABINOWITZ, Associated Press Writer

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Not quite the Oscar, but Scarlett Johansson still was all smiles Thursday about being crowned the Harvard Hasty Pudding woman of the year. And happy to participate in the rambunctious roasting that goes along with the honor.

She participated in a mock SAT exam, and endured a lampooning of her famous unclad Vanity Fair cover pose. But the blonde actress kept mum when asked to make an analogy between director Woody Allen, in whose films she has appeared, and fashion designer Issac Mizrahi, who groped her breast on the red carpet at the Golden Globes last year.

She was gleeful, though, in accepting the award.

"Thank you so much for this fabulous golden pot. It's been such a wonderful day. This is the closest I'll ever get to a Harvard degree for sure," Johansson said. "It's a real honor and I can't wait till later tonight when we party."

Before the roast, Johansson led a parade through Harvard Square, sitting in the back of a silver Bentley convertible, flanked by Harvard students in drag.

Johansson, 22, has appeared in films including "Lost in Translation," "The Girl with a Pearl Earring," "Match Point," and "The Black Dahlia."

Ben Stiller is to be crowned Harvard's Hasty Pudding Man of the Year on Feb. 23.

The awards are given to performers who have made a "lasting and impressive contribution to the world of entertainment" by Hasty Pudding Theatricals, the nation's oldest undergraduate drama troupe.

Last year's honorees were Halle Berry and Richard Gere.

MacGuffin

What makes Scarlett shill?
The fresh-faced actress has recently been seen hawking everything from Disney World to Mt. Rainer coffee. Does she really need the money?
Source: Los Angeles Times

It was Scarlett Johansson's Disney World ad that got us thinking. We've become accustomed to celebrities hawking products--Heather Locklear has amassed a huge body of work in hair dye commercials, Paris Hilton famously pimped Carl's Jr. and William Shatner will sell anything that won't get him sued--but Scarlett?

She's not a has-been! She's not desperate for work or attention! She can't need the money! So why is the actress's pretty mug hanging in drugstores as the face of L'Oreal Paris? Why did she agree to don a Cinderella gown in a campaign for Disney theme parks? Why is she featured in ads for Calvin Klein, Louis Vuitton, Gap and Mt. Rainer coffee? Why design clothes for Reebok? We thought real celebrities only agreed to PSAs or ads shown in foreign locales. Have times changed?

To find out we turned to Noreen Jenney, founder of Celebrity Endorsement Network. For the past 27 years Jenney has helped advertisers like Neutrogena, Frito-Lay and Anheuser-Busch convince celebs like Bianca Jagger, Michael Jordan, Dr. Ruth, and Candice Bergen to sell their products.

Latimes.com: Will all these ads hurt Scarlett Johansson's career? I thought it was taboo for stars to do a ton of endorsements.

NJ: Well, I think it goes in cycles. It used to be stigmatized and used to be that major film stars would only do overseas ads, but with the growth of the Internet there is no such thing anymore as only overseas. Every ad becomes worldwide the minute it hits the Internet. And obviously as bigger stars do commercials more of them will do it. There are still some holdouts that won't do on camera ads, but most of them will do unidentified voiceovers. Companies will pay a fortune for that.

Latimes.com: Is it really worth it for an advertiser to get only a celebrity's voice?

NJ: It is because they generally pick a celebrity with a recognizable voice so they figure people will know who it is. They also use it for internal excitement with the sales staff. They'll go to corporate meeting and say we have so-and-so doing the advertising and the sales staff gets excited and sells twice the volume. You'd be shocked and amazed at what these major advertisers pay for unidentified voice-overs.

Latimes.com: Do stars that are making movies really need this money? How much are we talking about?

NJ: It's not what you'll make on a movie. A $1-million to $2-million commercial name is usually a $15 million movie name, but the advertising money is definitely in the seven figures and sometimes multiples of that. Sometimes an advertiser will do two years for a million, so they only pay half a million each year. There are all different kinds of ways to structure the deals.

Latimes.com: How have celebrity ads changed since you started doing this work?

NJ: The money has gotten much bigger, but that is true in every field. These days people will do endorsements who never would have considered it in the past. Part of that is because the production quality is so high. So maybe a celebrity does a print campaign because Annie Liebovitz is shooting it. Everyone wants to be shot by her so that's an incentive, or maybe a star wants to work with a particular film director and he's directing the commercial.

Latimes.com: Can doing a bunch of advertising hurt your reputation?

NJ: You can be overexposed, and you can do too much, and that starts diluting your value. The public doesn't remember what they saw you doing because you've done so much. The advertiser can get hurt that way more than the celebrity. Unless you are doing something where the product has a huge problem. Sometimes this will happen with infomercials--if you do a vitamin or a diet product and there are lawsuits, that can be a negative--but generally with the upscale endorsements and product lines there is very little negative about that. The celebrities who won't do it say it is selling out, but even those that won't do the on camera are doing the voice over work. You can get high six figures, sometimes for no more than a couple of days in the studio. It's very easy work. There are very few celebrities who won't do voice work.

Latimes.com: So why do you think that Scarlett Johannson is doing so much advertising?

NJ: There is a lot of insecurity in actors and actresses, so there is a strike while the iron is hot theory. Also I think it is very difficult to turn down the kind of money that these companies are offering with the minimal amount of work involved. They do earn a lot on a film, but how long till the next film? Not too many celebrities are lined up with movies for the next 10 years and it's very difficult to walk away from $1 million for a year of exposure, and realistically just a day or two of your time. It is tough to pass on that.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Timberlake Director Re-Teams With Johansson For Heist Flick 'Brilliance'

Scarlett Johansson really made an impression on music video director Samuel Bayer during the making of Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around...Comes Around" mini-movie — so much so that the two will team up again later this year.

"Scarlett is one of the sexiest actresses around," Bayer told MTV News. "And she can just become her characters. Look at what she did during the Corvette scene, which a lot of people won't catch. She was shooting that on a green screen, and right before we were rolling, she was laughing. We start, and she's crying. It was just unbelievable. It's stuff like that which makes you know someone's a star."

So it was a no-brainer for Bayer that when Johansson mentioned her next project was hunting for a director, and she'd like to work with him again, to come aboard. "It's called 'Brilliance' and it's about diamond thieves, and we start shooting this winter," Bayer said. "So many things came together in all the right ways. It really was a case of 'what goes around, comes around.' In a good way."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Can Scarlett Johansson improve Waits' songs?
Source: Los Angeles Times

The debut album from Scarlett Johansson, "Anywhere I Lay My Head," has been given an official track list, which was unveiled at a press event in New York last night. As noted earlier, the album sees the actress-turned-singer tackling 10 Tom Waits songs (and one original, "Song for Jo"), and now has a guest spot from David Bowie, according to Billboard.com, which covered the event.

For those wondering, Johansson has released music before. A while back, we wrote about her turn on the 2006 benefit CD "Unexpected Dreams -- Songs from the Stars," in which she tackled "Summertime."

To try to get a sense of how Waits might sound once given the Scarlett-treatment, here's a clip from "Summertime," as well as a clip of one of the Waits songs she covers, "Green Grass." She gives the George Gershwin-composed "Summertime" a rather graceful approach, and colors her vocals with just a hint of femme fatale slyness.

But will such grace destroy the Waits songs?

Is their very appeal dependent upon Waits' crazy-guy-in-the-woods vocals, much like the Pogues lose their zest without Shane MacGowan's drunk-guy-in-the-pub approach? Since many of the songs Johansson covers are rather sparse in their original form, there is plenty room for interpretation, and I'm actually betting on the actress to hold her own with the Waits catalog.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/extendedplay/2008/02/can-scarlett-jo.html

Skeleton FilmWorks

cinemanarchist

Is it wrong that every time there is a new post in this thread I quickly run to it in hopes that somehow someone got a photo of Benicio railing her in the elevator before the Oscars? That's really all I want from this thread. Someone make my dreams come true.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Chest Rockwell

Four years after it [alledgedly] happened? Nobody would care enough anymore to expose the photos even if they did exist.

That's probably not true but in case it's time to move on, pal!

MacGuffin

Johansson embarrassed by hoopla over Obama e-mails

Scarlett Johansson can laugh about it now, but the actress says she was embarrassed by the media coverage of her so-called "e-mail relationship" with Barack Obama.

"It seemed to me to be like a product of extreme sexism, and I kept thinking to myself, 'God, if this was just, like, Kal Penn or George Clooney or any of the other (Obama) surrogates or supporters ... there wouldn't be (any) question about it. Nobody would even talk about it," she said.

Johansson, a vocal supporter of Obama, told the Web site Politico.com in June that she and the Democratic presidential hopeful had been trading e-mails. Obama later told reporters that Johansson doesn't have his personal e-mail address, and that his assistant forwarded one message from Johansson to which he replied.

"I was merely trying to express my delight at Obama's commitment to his campaign in every aspect and his interest and his support (in) his surrogates and his staff and his fellows, and how wonderful and refreshing that is. And it was manipulated into such an unfortunate media frenzy of kind of a nonstory," the 23-year-old actress said Tuesday in an interview from Los Angeles, where she was promoting her new Woody Allen film "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

The romantic comedy set against the bohemian backdrop of Barcelona, Spain, has its share of buzz over Johansson's much-hyped kiss with Penelope Cruz.

"It's just silly because ... the way people are talking about it you'd think it was ... a Bertolucci movie or something," Johansson said, laughing. "People are saying, `It's Woody Allen's steamiest movie.' I'm thinking, 'Woody Allen's steamiest WHAT?'"

It was the actress' third time working with Allen, who directed her in "Match Point" and "Scoop." She and actor-beau Ryan Reynolds had been snapped by paparazzi on the set of the movie last summer; she confirmed the couple's engagement in early May.

Have they set a date?

"We're just enjoying our time," she said. "We're just recently — very recently — engaged. So, you know, we're just taking it easy. And no big plan yet. But it's a good time and we're just ... enjoying our time to be young and engaged.

"I mean, I'm 23. There's no reason to rush into it. Everything feels very natural and relaxed."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 06, 2008, 12:07:12 AM
She and actor-beau Ryan Reynolds had been snapped by paparazzi on the set of the movie last summer; she confirmed the couple's engagement in early May.

Have they set a date?

"We're just enjoying our time," she said. "We're just recently — very recently — engaged. So, you know, we're just taking it easy. And no big plan yet. But it's a good time and we're just ... enjoying our time to be young and engaged.

"I mean, I'm 23. There's no reason to rush into it. Everything feels very natural and relaxed."

it'll be called off.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pozer on August 09, 2008, 02:33:40 PMit'll be called off.

Scarlett Johansson, Ryan Reynolds marry in Canada

Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds did a little rushing into it after all. The couple married this weekend, according to publicist Meredith O'Sullivan. She did not provide details.

Us Weekly reported on its Web site Sunday that the small wedding took place at a resort outside Vancouver, British Columbia. Guests included Scarlett's mother, Melanie Sloan, and her brother, Adrian Johansson, the magazine said.

The couple announced their engagement in May.

"We're just enjoying our time," the actress said last month. "We're just recently very recently engaged. So, you know, we're just taking it easy. And no big plan yet. But it's a good time and we're just ... enjoying our time to be young and engaged.

Johansson most recently starred in the Woody Allen film "Vicky Cristina Barcelona." Reynolds starred on the TV show "Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place" and the romantic comedy "Definitely, Maybe."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

Stefen

Why would she get married? The only reason people care about her is because she's a hot piece of ass. It's not for her talents, or lack thereof.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

A really horny part of me died today :yabbse-sad:
My assholeness knows no bounds.