Abbas Kiarostami

Started by Xixax, January 12, 2003, 08:47:48 PM

Xixax

A guy I know who is a big movie fan and has excellent taste in film is totally into the work of this Iranian director.

I caught one of his movies on Sundance a few weeks ago ("A Taste Of Cherry"), and I can understand his charm. It was very likeable, although extremely slow paced. And the ending was one of those "open for interpretation" types, which left you kind of wondering what the hell you just saw.

I know this is digging pretty deep in the obscurity stack, but I wonder if anyone else here has an opinion of his work?

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Kiarostami,%20Abbas
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Xixax

I guess that's a resounding "no".  :(
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

(kelvin)

I also saw "A Taste of Cherry" and I was absolutely fascinated by it. It's a great film, very moving and sensible. It shows us that Iran does not only produce brainwashed fedayin and evil ayatollahs, as some people would like us to believe.
That's cinema in its purest form: truth, 24 times per second.

Teen Wolf

Taste of Cherry was interesting, though for me it falls under the category of films that are easy to appreciate, hard to enjoy. Close-Up, on the other hand, which is the only other film I've seen by this director, was amazing. It's basically about a guy who pretends to be a famous movie director. I admit, the plot doesn't sound too promising, but check this movie out nevertheless. The film looks like a documentary, which, I think, allows the filmmakers to take certain liberties with the story, making certain elements more believable. Interesting use of music in the movie as well.

SoNowThen

Taste Of Cherry was nice. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it.

I really liked the scene where he goes back to his apartment. Dunno why, just holding the shot forever on the outside of the building. That was sweet. His new one sounds pretty blah, though.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

meatwad

so i would assume Taste of Cherry would be a good place to start with this director?

mutinyco

I'm going to drive. And drive. And drive. And no matter what time of day it is it's going to look like magic hour. And drive. And drive. And drive...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

AK

Quote from: XIXAX

I know this is digging pretty deep in the obscurity stack, but I wonder if anyone else here has an opinion of his work?

I like his work (and against some ppl who think TEN is the worst movie ever made) i really like it...more because it shows a lot about his reality...or should I say about women reality in his country...

But i still think Mohsen Makhmalbaf is the best from Iranian directors (and also taught really well to his two daughters how to make movies)

Alexandro

i saw test of cherry a few years ago and thought it wa sintersting but i just can't understand why some directors feel the need to bore audiences to death with long takes of a guy driving without moving his face...

the film has some touching moments, and the ending is cool...I've observed that people older than 40 appreciat ethis film better than younger audiences...maybe i'll wait...

i also saw an iranian film which was not directed by him but the was his...The White Balloon...great film, amazing...simple and beautiful...try to catch it...

Cloudy