Antichrist

Started by MacGuffin, September 26, 2006, 01:55:33 PM

Stefen

So this got an 'anti-award' at Cannes. Has that ever happened before?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

ah art cinema circus.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

"Antichrist" will remain uncut in Britain

LONDON (Hollywood Reporter) - Sure it has sex, violence and female self-mutilation, but Danish bad-boy director Lars von Trier's "Antichrist" is OK with the British Board of Film Classification.

The censor has allowed British distributor Artificial Eye to release the movie uncut with an "18" certificate, which denies admission to those aged 17 and younger.

The company bought the U.K. rights during the Cannes Film Festival last month, when it generated controversy with a series of bracing scenes in which a grieving couple bloodily brutalizes each other at their country cabin. Charlotte Gainsbourg, who co-starred with Willem Dafoe, was named best actress at the festival.

"The film does not contain material which breaches the law or poses a significant harm risk to adults," BBFC director David Cooke said. "The sexual imagery, while strong, is relatively brief, and the board has since 1990 passed a number of works containing such images."

Cooke said the BBFC's decision "reflects the principle -- strongly endorsed in a number of public consultations -- that adults should be free to decide for themselves what to watch or what not to watch, provided it is neither illegal nor harmful."

Although the film includes a scene of genital mutilation, the BBFC Board "knows of no research evidence which suggests that the viewing of this scene would raise a significant risk of harm to adult viewers or to society or which would otherwise justify intervention."

Said Curzon Artificial Eye CEO Philip Knatchbull: "There is no doubt that 'Antichrist' is a controversial film, but it's our duty as a distributor to present the works of talented directors such as Lars von Trier in their original form exactly as the director intended. We fully support the BBFC's decision to allow people to make up their own minds about this film."

IFC has rights for the U.S. where the film does not yet have a classification.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Sweet.

I'm really nervous to see this though.  Genital mutilation makes me sad.

MacGuffin

'Antichrist' gets pre-Halloween date
IFC to release pic on Oct. 23 in L.A. and N.Y.
Source: Variety

IFC is giving Lars von Trier's "Antichrist" a pre-Halloween release in Los Angeles and New York, with the film to go out Oct. 23.

IFC, the biggest buyer at this year's Cannes Film Festival, snapped up the psychological erotic-horror title during the fest. Pic, which has sexually explicit content, stars Charlotte Gainsbourg and Willem Dafoe. Meta Louise Foldager produced and Peter Aalbaek Jensen and Peter Garde exec produced.

The Cannes jury presented Gainsbourg with its actress award.

IFC will widen the theatrical release after the platform launch. The company, which usually releases theatrical titles simultaneously on video-on-demand, has set a VOD date of Oct. 21 for "Antichrist."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Matt, where will you be in the US on this release date?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

'Antichrist' Game Director: 'Absolutely Not Available In Wal-Mart!'
Source: MTV

Yesterday, news was floating around the web about a possible game based on "Antichrist," a new movie from Lars Von Trier which has received a boatload of controversy. The film, which revolves around a couple staying in a cabin in the woods, is filled with extremely sexual and violent imagery, ranging from the graphic death of a child to close-ups of vaginal insertion and genital mutilation. It's not, shall we say, for the kids.

Today I had a chance to speak with Morten Iversen, the Game Director behind "Eden," the title based on "Antichrist." Iverson is not new to the video game world. He worked at Io Interactive as the writer of the "Hitman" series for six years before forming his own company. When that company went under he joined up with Zentropa, Von Trier's production company.

"Von Trier has been extremely fond of video games for ages, and has been an avid player of 'Alone in the Dark,'" explained Iverson. "He's been circulating the idea internally...that making games would be a good idea."

But is "Antichrist" really the one to start with? Iverson admits that it's a challenge.

"[The movie] goes against all the conventions of how you make games and what you can do in games. Dead kids, nudity, graphic violence. It will be a very controversial game, and it'll be a game that doesn't really compare with anything else."

Clearly there are going to be issues with such themes with certain retailers, but Iverson takes those in stride. "We don't expect Wal-Mart to roll in crates of this and put it on their shelves. Absolutely not available at Wal-Mart!"

"Eden" is actually planned as a download-only game, which Iverson hopes to get on services like Xbox Live and Steam. In style, he describes it as a "nightmarish version of Myst."

There are some very unique gameplay concepts at work, though. When you queue up the game, players will have to upload a profile, describing what their biggest phobias are. For example, are you afraid of spiders, loud noises or the dark? Based on that profile, certain themes will be loaded into the game to challenge you on those phobias.

But what about interational ratings boards? Recent releases of "Fallout 3″ and "Grand Theft Auto 4″ have had to be edited in order to see shelves in certain territories. Is Zentropa willing to make changes to the project?

"Yes, of course. Just like the movie, they made two versions so they can get released in countries like Italy and the US, [countries] that view things differently than we do in Denmark." The game's release will be edited, as well, depending on the region.

Despite all the controversy (to which Iverson replies with a warrior-like battle cry: ""Bring it on! Controversy!"), the game's release is still a ways off, planned for sometime next year. Currently the team at Zentropa is just four people and the game has just finished the design phase. Next it's a matter of staffing up and getting the title playable. Iverson seems pumped at the prospect.

"I admire Lars von Trier's work immensely, and look forward to developing this game based on his work and hopefully with his creative input. He's an extremely creative, condescending, misogynist genius with a shipload of phobias rattling him every day, so we're like kindred spirits."

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Quote from: SiliasRuby on June 25, 2009, 02:58:23 AM

Probably somewhere around Georgia.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: matt35mm on June 26, 2009, 08:07:30 AM

sounds like you won't be watching it. just like me...... :yabbse-undecided:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

"Antichrist" director says outrage "suits me fine"

LONDON (Reuters) - For Danish film director Lars von Trier, the outrage that greeted "Antichrist" at the Cannes festival in May was music to his ears.

Starring Charlotte Gainsbourg and Willem Dafoe as a couple who struggle to cope with the loss of their young son, the psychological horror story drew gasps, groans, jeers and just a few cheers when it was screened at the annual cinema showcase.

Explicit scenes of love-making, graphic violence and sexual self-mutilation, not to mention a talking fox, made Antichrist one of the most talked-about films at the festival for years.

Von Trier was angrily asked to justify his film at a press conference and early reviews generally agreed that the film was misogynistic, deliberately provocative and turgid.

But typically for a director who has polarized opinion throughout his career, not everyone hated it. The Telegraph gave the dark story of death and self-loathing a top rating.

"I feel very good about it," von Trier told Reuters, when asked about the negative reaction to his film.

"If you'd asked me before how should a film reception be, it should be something like that," he said in a telephone interview ahead of the film's theatrical release in Britain on July 24. It has been given an 18 rating and will be shown in its entirety.

"It suits me fine that people get out of the cinema with some kind of an emotion. That's very good."

Von Trier, often referred to as the "enfant terrible" of contemporary cinema, has avoided reading reviews, although he suggested he was not impervious to what people said.

"I don't think I've read one review," he said. "I think the film is like a kid, you know, it has to live its own life. Of course, I would like a phone call now and then."

HITS AND MISSES

Whether the controversy surrounding Antichrist will boost its box office prospects remains to be seen.

"I am really an idiot when it comes to what helps a film commercially," said von Trier. "Every time I'm sure I made a hit then I made a complete disaster."

The director is probably best known for "Breaking the Waves" and Cannes winner "Dancer in the Dark," while "Dogville" and "Manderlay," filmed on a bare sound stages, also created a stir.

But von Trier called Antichrist the most important movie of his career, possibly because it was his way of coping with a lengthy bout of depression.

"It was mostly the practical thing -- if you do a film then you are really involved in it and it's difficult to be depressed at the same time."

The director repeated his statement in Cannes that he did not have an audience in mind when he made films.

"I work for myself as an audience, and if I like it then I hope that some other people will be able to use it somehow," said von Trier, who has also called himself "the best film director in the world."

He said he did not know what movie he would make next, adding: "I'm waiting to hear from God, really."

Despite converting to Catholicism in the 1990s, reportedly after his mother told him on her deathbed that the person he thought was his father was not, he said he had no faith.

"I would say that I am a poor Christian, I'm not a believer. It was this idea very early in my life that life on earth, nature or man could not be a creation of a merciful God."

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on June 26, 2009, 03:27:46 PM
Quote from: matt35mm on June 26, 2009, 08:07:30 AM

sounds like you won't be watching it. just like me...... :yabbse-undecided:

This'll be coming out this Friday in the UK so I'll brave the experience and report back.

Stefen

GOOD LUCK! You're going to need it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Thanks, dude.  I'm fucking terrified.

Jesus

Quote from: matt35mm on July 21, 2009, 06:31:44 PM
Thanks, dude.  I'm fucking terrified.

You and me both, partner.  :shock:

SiliasRuby

I'm glad Jesus is coming at all the right times these days. If only on movie forums....
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection