Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Started by MacGuffin, February 01, 2004, 11:48:07 AM

El Duderino

holy crap....it is a Burton movie...but i'm interested to see what Brad Silberling will do with it.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

molly

I remember watching movies like this one (well, at least, i think it looks that way) when i was a child, and i still remember how seriously i was taking them, biting nails, sitting on the edge of the couch,... and the music in movies like that....I can't really describe that feeling, i hope you remember it too.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: ®edlumWow, that poster is really cool.

Yeeeeeeeeah :-D
Si

Just Withnail

Why doesn't it suprise me that they use music from Edward Scissorhands in that TV Spot?  :P  

Looks really great. Looks like it's got a teeny bit Addams Family mixed up in there as well. Carry was born for that part.

Ghostboy

It looks good, but does nothing to relieve me of my fears that the diabolical Orloff has been Carrey-iffied. He's note perfect, except for those little asides he gives, particularly towards the end. When he leans towards the children and tells them not to go to the tower in that ominous voice, that's that is needed - but of course they have him turn around and give a self-referential snicker. Oh well...I suppose that might just be stuff shot for the sake of marketing, that won't end up in the finished movie.

Yeah right.

Still, this is another movie we can add to the list of 'Movies That Are Better Than They Would Have Been If Barry Sonnefeld Directed Them.' Also included on this list are 'Ali' and 'The Ladykillers.'

LostEraser

I think Jim Carrey looks fantastic in that trailor. I think Count Olaf is the perfect role for him. I'm reading the books right now and the character is hilarious and it will be a perfect vehicle for him since he keeps turning up in different disguises trying to streal the childrens fortune as the film goes on. That will provide a lot of variety for him.

Jim Carrey has come a long way and people need to stop worrying over him "Carrey-iffying" a role. I wonder if this film is going to help Academy members rememeber his role in Eternal Sunshine since it will be released during oscar season and everything. That'd be great.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

coffeebeetle

QuoteJim Carrey has come a long way

Meaning he's improved?  With Sunshine of the Spotless, yes...I'm kinda hesitant to see this simply because it looks as though he's returning to his old whacky self, which I grew tired of after "The Mask."
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fishbulb

This actually does look pretty fun. I've never read the Harry Potter books, and even seeing the movies now, it doesn't seem like anything I would have ever been into even as a kid. But this kind of movie- it seems like something I would have liked a lot. I always liked TIME BANDITS as a kid- ---- SPOILER FOR TIME BANDITS_---especially the ending scene where the parents blow up (heh). And the scene in the trailer with the kids wandering around the smoking remains of their house kind of has the same feel to me. ---- END SPOILER --- Carrey in his different guises looks funny too. VERY Tim Burtonish, but if you're gonna rip somebody off making a fantasy movie, why not do it from the best.

Ghostboy

This is good, but it ain't no Prisoner Of Azkaban (as far as dark films based on popular childrens' book series go). Meaning: themodernage, don't get your hopes up.

***Admin (not GB) Warning: Cameo Spoilers***

The beginning is ABSOLUTELY brilliant. The first thirty minutes are wonderful. The problem is that, by that point, all the material in the first book has been covered, and it becomes obvious very quickly how the rest of the film will proceed: very episodically (each episode covering one of the three books covered in the film), with about the same drama and outcome in each episode.

It's great to look at, though, and Jim Carrey is a lot of fun (especially as Olaf). Although he's not the Olaf I pictured reading the books, he's really meancing, even though he's also really funny. However, the cast is WAY too big. They should have kept Billy Connelly, Jude Law (whose face is never seen), Meryl Streep and Timothy Spall and gone with unknowns for everyone else. Luis Guzman is in a couple of scenes, but he has not a single line of dialogue. Jennifer Coolidge and Jane Adams and Cedric The Entertainer fare pretty much the same.  And Dustin Hoffman shows up for precisely three shots.

Bethie

Daniel Handler aka Lemony Snicket wrote a holiday story for USA Weekend.  Click me. It was a fun read. I'm assuming this is how his other stories go?
who likes movies anyway

SHAFTR

I was disappointed by this film.  It wasn't awful, but it wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped.  The set design was very good and I was extremely impressed by the acting of the oldest girl.  The problem of this film stems from it's bad storytelling and misplaced acting.  Jim Carrey, one of my favorite actors, is often brilliant in this, and often awful at the same time.  It seems like the director just let him improv and didn't have the ability to harness Carrey's energy.  Carrey's Olaf reminds me of the Grinch Part II.    
The CGI, much like the film, is also very hit and miss.  Some of it looks great while other times it looks awful.

Overall, I'd give this film *** out of 5 stars with the set design, oldest girl and Jim Carrey's occasional brilliance being the highlights.

EDIT: I also really enjoyed Billy Connoly in his role.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Alethia

the oldest girl is really hot and i'm older than her.....if only i wasn't a geek who posted on message boards....