Film Recommendations

Started by SHAFTR, February 11, 2003, 10:36:28 PM

SHAFTR

I am severly lacking in viewing films that are pre 1990.  Please, please give me a few suggestions of films to go and see.  Mainly classics (US or Foreign).

Thanks

EDIT:  Changed Post to Pre.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

bonanzataz

First redirect on the xixax boards. Not even sure if this warrants it, but what the hell...

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=234

EDIT: Scratch redirect. Just a helping hand as some movies are listed there.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gold Trumpet

polkablues

"Amelie", "Waking the Dead", "Fight Club", "Pulp Fiction", "Rushmore", "The Limey", "Three Kings"... I could go on like this for a while.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SHAFTR

ya...i am dumb

I meant pre-1990
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

RegularKarate

oh... Pre- 90

have you seen Shaft?

BonBon85

I'll state the obvious movies & directors:
Apocalypse Now
Bergman
Blade Runner
Blood Simple
Brazil
Cinema Paradiso
Fellini
Hitchcock
Kubrick
Kurosawa
Salvador
Taxi Driver
The Deer Hunter
The Graduate
Truffaut
Woody Allen

b/a

Pre 1990:
Come and See (Elem Klimov)
Repulsion
Weekend
Last Year at Marienbad
Two-Lane Blacktop
Carnival of Souls (the original)
Onibaba
The Trial (Orson Welles)
Wild Strawberries
"Film is truth 24 times a second"-JLG

Recce

Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Mean Streets, Full Metal Jacket, The Shinning, Scarface, Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Dog Day Afternoon. Obviously, there's a lot more I can't think of right off the top of my head.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

phil marlowe

I followed GT's advice today and saw "Dark City", and i loved it.

From the IMDb:

"Sets from the film Dark City (1998), including rooftops, buildings and others exteriors sets, were used in this film. The rooftops that Trinity runs across at the beginning of the film are the same ones that John Murdoch runs across in Dark City."

The similarities in the movies is pretty striking witch is odd when they were made allmost simultaneous. Does anyone know the connections between these two movies?

MunchyMcGee

Down By Law, 8 1/2, Raging Bull, Mystery Train, Rashomon, The Muppet Movie, The Running Man, and Deathrace 2000.

Some good movies, some shitty movies, but films nonetheless.  I could go on forever.
You can't take a dump on me.  It's alright if you want to pee.  Cause I like the smell and I like the taste, wouldn't want it to go to waste.

Newtron

Quote from: Phil MarloweDoes anyone know the connections between these two movies?

Both made in Sydney, Australia. Both excellent.

ReelHotGames

Some pre-90 movies worth a salt are...

Nashville
North by Northwest
To Catch A Thief
Some Like It Hot
The Desperate Hours (Bogart version not Mickey Rourke)
The Philadelphia Story
Dog Day Afternoon
Klute
Slueth
Murder by Death
The Goodbye Girl
On the Waterfront
Blow Out
High Anxiety
M*A*S*H

to name a few
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Pedro

Franic Ford Coppola's The Conversation

©brad

Just watched Primary Colors for the first time the other night and thought it was excellent. Fantasic perfomances, esp. Kathy Bates, extremely well written, big Mike Nichols fan.