U2

Started by MacGuffin, September 15, 2004, 07:30:01 AM

MacGuffin

U2 setting off 'Atomic Bomb' on Nov. 23

Irish rock band U2 unveiled Tuesday the title of their next album, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," evoking the violence and rebellion of their early records. The album, recorded in Dublin and the south of France, made headlines in July after recordings from it went missing. The disappearance of rough versions of some tracks from a recording studio in Nice, France, had prompted fears they would appear on the Internet before the official release. But a band spokeswoman said: "They didn't show up anywhere as far as we're aware." The new album will arrive in North American record stores Nov. 23, one day after its release in Europe.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinU2 setting off 'Atomic Bomb' on Nov. 23
i thought that was the title of the record, which would've made it SO ripe for irony if it was a huge flop.  hahaha, it still cracks me up.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: MacGuffinU2 setting off 'Atomic Bomb' on Nov. 23
i thought that was the title of the record, which would've made it SO ripe for irony if it was a huge flop.  hahaha, it still cracks me up.

ah cute.

Anyways......I've been a lifetime U2 fan. They are the only band I have liked with dignity from the age of 12 til now. For me, twice the band The Beatles were ever and each album is in some way a reinvention of who they are. All That You Can't Behind did feel like a complitiation album of their past songs, but still it was a unique album in that it felt like just a collection of tunes instead of a thought out album, providing a chance for Bono yet again to change the structure of his song writing to prolly what is his most simplistic approach. From what I hear, this album will be a continuation of that approach but an examination of the other side of the thought procoess and prolly tough where ATYCLB was about melodies. I'm hopeful for what will come next from them and they really do believe this will be one of their best albums to date. Reports say they are digging into their own pockets unlike before to really step up the promotion to make it special.

mogwai

so, is the new album any good?

tpfkabi

i listened to the first 5 tracks on vh1.com last week and it sounded pretty good. i was pretty tempted to buy it yesterday when i saw it selling for $8.99 at Circuit City.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwaiso, is the new album any good?

I gave it a couple listens in the car, so my attention wasn't entirely focused on it, but I'm diggin' it more with each spin. I was expecting something different based on early reviews, but was plesantly surprised. The songs grow on you as they go on. I would probably liken it to their Pop album. You can really feel how the death of his father affected Bono. The limited edition also includes a great track, Fast Cars.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Yep.  It's a grower, alright.

Gold Trumpet

Big U2 fan here, so I'll give my review:

Prolly there most christian and old style U2 album yet while remaining fresh. People say All That You Can't Leave Behind was them really digging at roots. In ways yes, in ways no. Some songs hymmed old U2 songs, but no U2 album was as concentrated on being just a collection of songs instead of a whole album. Not many songs had the same organic whole as another so the approach could have been seen as going for an early pop album. The group kept saying they were influenced by The Beatle's Rubber Soul for the album. With Atomic, most songs bleed onto the next, from sound to voice and even though an array of subjects are conveyed, they keep themes going in lyrics like searching for a love beyond the romantic kind (christian influence?). And even though many old U2 signatures are used often, this album really feels fused together without making it a greatest hits wannabee. This is its own album and even though U2 has gone back to their roots with this album, it has the freshness of them going for a new approach. I can't remember another U2 album that was as driven for emotion on every track, that was as driven for as much music in each song as this, as much guitar noise as they could even do. Songs like "A Man And A Woman" and "One Step Closer" do slow it down, but in ways, for the type of songs they do represent in usual U2 manner, the degree of emotion still feels intensified. Edge has never felt as confident with guitar as he does here and Bono seems like he has to prove he can still sing with each song. Its highly confident music and I'd even argue one of their best albums yet with maybe only Joshua Tree better. Sure, the style may be classic but one could argue that considering the band does little to even flaunt that style, this may be them choosing content over style for just about an entire album. They have never allowed style to take over with any of their experimentations. Even Pop and Zooropa are grounded in many ways by certain roots. Its just also they never really allowed content to take over in this way for an album either and considering this is really some of their best music, its something worth noting in their long and adventurous career as a new step.

tpfkabi

i see there are three different versions.
which is the best?

Gold Trumpet

Well, just one version of the music.

The three versions are in packaging 1.) just the cd 2.) cd and dvd or 3.) cd, dvd and book. I imagine the third option would be the nicest there.

tpfkabi

i've heard something about one having the bonus track, Fast Cars.

i like U2. i don't know that i need a booklet so much. i just wondered if the DVD was anything special.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasi've heard something about one having the bonus track, Fast Cars.

Quote from: MacGuffinThe limited edition also includes a great track, Fast Cars.

The limited edition comes with a bound book that is like a journal of notes and drawings, and it's really nothing special. But the CD comes in a flimsy cardboard holder instead of a jewel case. So you don't get the lyrics and photos in the booklet that you do with the regular and deluxe editions. The DVD (only with the deluxe and limited editions) has footage of the band in the studio and some behind the scenes stuff of how they came up with the songs. It also has performances of a few songs; different versions from what's on the released album. If you aren't a huge fan, you're better off with just getting the CD only.

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

Definitely the most solid thing they've done since Achtung Baby. I think this is the album a lot of U2 fans have been waiting for since then. ATYCLB was heading in the right direction, but I felt like they were trying too hard to be successful after the disappointment of Pop. I felt a lot of songs on that were overproduced and even pandering (Stuck In A Moment was interminable). But here, they've whipped out the guitar again and ventured back to rock with great results (All Because of You). Both musically and thematically it's like they've come full circle. There are sounds and textures on this album, as well as progressions, that I haven't heard since the early-80s -- no doubt in part to having Steve Lillywhite produce it. Most people think of U2 being bombastic and trying to shout to the back row, but what made their earlier music so great was its introspection and moodiness, and that's what so many connected to. There seemed to be a person to person relation. Bono's trajectory began with his mother's death early in his life, and it informed a lot of his early writing. Now with the passing of his father he's returned to make peace.

I'm pissed I missed the concert under the Brooklyn Bridge.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

i was quite put off by the spanish-countoff but all these reviews make me interested in this again.  i'll probably give this a listen soon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02i was quite put off by the spanish-countoff but all these reviews make me interested in this again.  i'll probably give this a listen soon.

The funny thing is that Vertigo is the most odd song of the whole album. Its the only time where it feels like they are trying to have a "hit single". The rest of the album is quite different.