What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I imagined this would be rough, being firsthand accounts both by the author and interviews with survivors of the Gulags... But it is absolutely brutal.  If your'e fascinated by the era and want to learn about the sheer hopelessness of forced labor camps, by all means, check out this book.  
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

children with angels

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the March 2004 issue of The Believer?

I need to check some page number references for an article I'm writing. Specifically, I'm trying to find out the page numbers for the article 'Notes on Art So Bad It's Good', by Douglas Wolk. I realise it's an extremely long shot, but if anyone's able to help a brother out, I'd be eternally grateful!
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Just came out. Any fans? Let's book club.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," BolaƱo says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Sleepless

A quick search yielded no thread dedicated to comic books, so I figured this is as good a place as any... I'm not a huge comic book guy but every couple of years or so I get back into them again. Last time I did, I read the entire Tintin collection. But wondered if anyone had heard about the massive DC reboot? On August 31, they are releasing brand new #1's of 52 different titles, in what appears to effectively be a mass reboot on dozens of different titles.

I'm wanting to at least take a look at Aquaman and a few of those Batman titles; think it could be pretty cool. Anyone know any more on any of this? I don't know whether it's worth trying to pre-order some place to at least see which ones I'd be interested in, or whether it's likely most stores would be pretty well stocked so I can browse and choose.

Anyway.... discuss away...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Sleepless on August 02, 2011, 12:08:09 PM
A quick search yielded no thread dedicated to comic books

You lazy bastard.

I'm not a huge comic book guy but every couple of years or so I get back into them again. Last time I did, I read the entire Tintin collection. But wondered if anyone had heard about the massive DC reboot? On August 31, they are releasing brand new #1's of 52 different titles, in what appears to effectively be a mass reboot on dozens of different titles.

I'm wanting to at least take a look at Aquaman and a few of those Batman titles; think it could be pretty cool. Anyone know any more on any of this? I don't know whether it's worth trying to pre-order some place to at least see which ones I'd be interested in, or whether it's likely most stores would be pretty well stocked so I can browse and choose.

Anyway.... discuss away...

They'll probably be awful, this isn't really the first time something like this has happened.  And "why does it happen?", you may be wondering.  Because ongoing serials with no end in sight just keep expanding the mythos until it gets so unwieldy that not even the virginest fanboy can fathom what's happening.  I'm not really that stoked about the reboots because DC staples are all cuddly, child-safe shit heaps.

If you want to catch up on Aquaman and Batman, you should also catch up on Tiger Beat so you can stay hip to the pacing and plot depth.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Sleepless

I knew there was one! I swear I looked but couldn't find it! So what's the deal here, you seem to know what's going on. Are they actually rebooting all these titles back to issue 1, or are the existing titles continuing, these are just going to run parallel? It seems to be a case of the former, but I wonder if that won't necessarily stop them from bringing in older characters with all their baggage which new reboot readers won't be familiar with. An example of why this is concerning is the whole two Arthur Curry nonsense from when they tried to change up Aquaman a couple of years ago. I'm not too worried about them being too kiddie-safe, because I never really read superhero comic books growing up a whole lot, so I'm partly interested in this reboot for the sake of some square one onwards stories I can pass on to my son. He's still young enough now that he'd just rip the pages to shreds, but some years down the road it would be cool to pass of a stack of comics to him to discover.

Either way, I can't believe that what seems to be such a massive event concerning several prolific characters hasn't had much publicity. It's hardly like I live with my head under a rock, yet today was the first I'd heard of this. DC needs to get some better PR and marketing people.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Ravi

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Sleepless on August 02, 2011, 03:08:30 PM
I knew there was one! I swear I looked but couldn't find it! So what's the deal here, you seem to know what's going on. Are they actually rebooting all these titles back to issue 1, or are the existing titles continuing, these are just going to run parallel? It seems to be a case of the former, but I wonder if that won't necessarily stop them from bringing in older characters with all their baggage which new reboot readers won't be familiar with. An example of why this is concerning is the whole two Arthur Curry nonsense from when they tried to change up Aquaman a couple of years ago. I'm not too worried about them being too kiddie-safe, because I never really read superhero comic books growing up a whole lot, so I'm partly interested in this reboot for the sake of some square one onwards stories I can pass on to my son. He's still young enough now that he'd just rip the pages to shreds, but some years down the road it would be cool to pass of a stack of comics to him to discover.

Either way, I can't believe that what seems to be such a massive event concerning several prolific characters hasn't had much publicity. It's hardly like I live with my head under a rock, yet today was the first I'd heard of this. DC needs to get some better PR and marketing people.

All I know, is that they're re-imagining all the origins and everything so that new readers can get in at ground zero and longtime readers can be given the middle finger for sticking with the series for so long try out something new!

I'm not sure of the parallel nature, and fanboys will be fanboys, I'm sure they'll continue to eat it up.  I'm sure they'll continue to print the old ones, too.  But I'm not absolutely positive.

Also

Quote from: Ravi on August 02, 2011, 03:19:28 PM
Writing Movies For Profit

A coworker was raving about this, should I just pick it up?  Based on his description, it's an absolutely hilarious, edifying and quick read.

polkablues

Quote from: Sleepless on August 02, 2011, 12:08:09 PM
But wondered if anyone had heard about the massive DC reboot? On August 31, they are releasing brand new #1's of 52 different titles, in what appears to effectively be a mass reboot on dozens of different titles.

My house, my rules, my coffee

Neil

just started inherent vice.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Ravi

Quote from: walrus, the on August 02, 2011, 03:46:13 PM
Quote from: Ravi on August 02, 2011, 03:19:28 PM
Writing Movies For Profit

A coworker was raving about this, should I just pick it up?  Based on his description, it's an absolutely hilarious, edifying and quick read.

Yes, its very funny and has a lot of good, practical advice about the process and politics of screenwriting. They make it clear that this is not a book about how to write your personal art film. It is about writing commercial films.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

ooooh, I want to read that! I'm just fininshing this:

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Quote from: socketlevel on August 15, 2011, 11:03:09 AM
Hey Mac how is this? worth the pick up?

It's very good. It's like a Spike, Mike, Slackers and Dykes of horror. It respects classic horror movies while telling how modern horror films pushed the envelope to make the genre not just about old, dark houses. Makes you wanna go back and rewatch films you've seen before and find others you haven't, or never even heard of.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks