Bunuel

Started by Ghostboy, March 25, 2003, 11:14:07 PM

Alexandro

I've seen Belle de Jour, and I love it. Catherine Denueve is THE womanof cinema...she's just stunning.

Los Olvidados is great too, and Nazarin, a strong religious critique (well, all of his films are)...

I also saw La Voie Latte, one of his weirdest films, I have it on tape actually, but I have only seen it twice.
There's a mexican very unknown movie called El Gran Calavera, which is pretty much a light comedy on the surface, but is actually one of his devastating mockerys on rich people.

Un chien andalou is by far the craziest short film I've ever seen, it's definetely fun to watch.

I read somewhere that Salvador Dalí once said: "I made Un Chien Andalou with Luis Buñuel...then I got out of cinema, showing the world who the was the genius among us two"...I love Dalí...

Another quote of him: "The best two things that can happen to a person are being spanish, and being called Salvador Dali...luckily, they have both converged on my person"...

what a cool individual

tpfkabi

ok, i wish there was a way i could check them out first without plopping down 40 bucks for the Criterion. i guess i could try the whole Netflix thing, but i imagine any Criterion are probably on a long list?

didn't Dali do the dream sequence in one of Hitchcock's films, Spellbound?
does Bunuel compare any way to that?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

edison

Quote from: bigideasdidn't Dali do the dream sequence in one of Hitchcock's films, Spellbound?

Yes, he did.

cine

Belle de Jour was one of the first foreign films I saw.. and what really compelled me in that film was Peter Clementi, this masochistic man with a mouthful of steel. That image of him and Deneuve was one of the first that introduced me to the foreign cinema, and allowed me to explore other Bunuel films, such as the Discreet Charm, which is so surreal that for me its more of a work of art than a hilarious work of art. But its funny nonetheless. Un Chien Andalou is something I love to watch every so often because its such a masterpiece of surrealistic images juxtaposed for no reason. Yet it feels like there are dozens of reasons. When a film moves you for thinking it means something but means nothing, it's done a lot to you.

MacGuffin

Watched "That Obscure Object Of Desire" tonight, and loved it. Fascinating exploration of the theme of obsession; the 'that what you want, but cannot have'. Conchita is so scathing in her treatment of Mathieu, you can't help but feel for him, but at the same you have to laugh with her at his naivete.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

classical gas

I've been wanting to see "That Obscure Object of Desire", but I haven't got around to it.  I've seen the short film he did with Dali, the name escapes me though, "Un Chien Andalou", or something....I've also seen "Belle de Jour" several times, as well as the "Exterminating Angel", which was amusing.  But all in all, I think (of the limited films I've seen by him) my favorite is "Los Olvidados".  The little boy's dream is great.

Stefen

I haven't seen any of his movies :o( They don't have them to rent anywhere and everytime I get one from netflix its always scratched beyond repair. I think i'll just buy one of his movies. Anyone got any reccomendations?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

classical gas

I would say you should start with "Belle de Jour".  It's a great introduction to his style and it's an amazing film.

cine

classical gas has seen more than me so he's probably got a better idea, but I love the one he didn't mention: "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie"

Stefen

Well i guess I'll go for whichever one is cheaper :o)
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

abuck1220

Quote from: MacGuffinWatched "That Obscure Object Of Desire" tonight, and loved it. Fascinating exploration of the theme of obsession; the 'that what you want, but cannot have'. Conchita is so scathing in her treatment of Mathieu, you can't help but feel for him, but at the same you have to laugh with her at his naivete.

that obscure object of desire is my favorite of his. also loved belle de jour and diary of a chambermaid. i liked discreet charm. also like phantom of liberty.

i'm getting pissed because it's difficult to find his other stuff, since most of its not on dvd. anyone know of any good places to get vhs of his other stuff?

ono

Quote from: abuck1220i'm getting pissed because it's difficult to find his other stuff, since most of its not on dvd. anyone know of any good places to get vhs of his other stuff?
...I'm pretty sure TOOoD and TDCotB are on DVD.  And I know Un Chien Andalou is on VHS.  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/103-1782764-2055850?tag=imdb-adbox&mode=vhs&keyword=6301910311%7CB0000560QI  As for finding it, just search Amazon.  If it's ever been in print, they'll probably have a record of it.

abuck1220

i've seen/owned those. i'm talking more about exterminating angel, los olvidados, etc...looks like i'll have to hope for dvd releases since the vhs for those are $45-70!

classical gas

Quote from: abuck1220i've seen/owned those. i'm talking more about exterminating angel, los olvidados, etc...looks like i'll have to hope for dvd releases since the vhs for those are $45-70!

i got both of those flicks for cheap off of e-bay.  they're not the greatest of quality, but to see such great films for cheap isn't so bad.

cine

Quote from: AlexandroLos Olvidados is great too, and Nazarin, a strong religious critique...

Quote from: classical gasBut all in all, I think (of the limited films I've seen by him) my favorite is "Los Olvidados".

Alright, so when I go to NYC this July, I have the opportunity to see both Los Olvidados and Nazarin at the famous Film Forum. Has anybody else seen two films?