Bunuel

Started by Ghostboy, March 25, 2003, 11:14:07 PM

SiliasRuby

Spoilers

I finally saw another Bunuel. It was the "Diary of a Chambermaid" and my God, is it good. Disturbing and uncomfortable in an unusual way I never knew what was coming next. The group of people that hire the chambermaid are pretty discipable people. They always seem to be bastards on purpose. There are so many twists and turns in general and layerwise I found alot that seemed under the surface. There seems to be heavy racism, and adultourous nature between most of the men in the film. Except the neighbor who seems on the up and up, wanting to defend against the chambermaid's innocence. I really enjoyed this but don't worry I will write a review soon that will be damning some film to hell. Not sure what it will be yet though.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Spoilers

There is something hauntingly strange about 'Viridianna' that reminds me how tortuous and cruel life can be sometimes. Its a very creepy and sick film, but shot in the most traditional way possible with really no scenes that make no sense. All of the scenes in context make sense but when put together become horrific. Bunuel is really a truest surrealist in the best sense of the word.

There's a sleeping beauty vibe that I get-only more disturbing-when I saw the uncle lay his niece on the bed and undress her blouse. He always seems to get beautiful women to be in his films...Absolutely beautiful women. The obsession that the uncle has is both tender and un-nerving. So when he offed himself I was glad even though I understood why he did so...

There is an aura of heavy tension that hovers in every frame and it some of the actors in this film, looked like they were picked up off he street. Especially the 'dispossessed' who inhabit the uncle's estate. You can sense what Bunuel was trying to say about hypocrisy in organized catholicism and its understood why (if you know your history on spain) the spanish authorities banned the film until 1977. Its an intoxicating film and quite funny.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

'The Phantom of Liberty' is something out of a dream come true for me. It appears to have everything I've ever wanted out of a film and nothing that really holds back. Various characters coming in and out, strange shit happening every time you think you want to blink. The questions and deeper meaning that it gives you to ask about, is quite wonderful. You are left wanting more surrealistic pleasure. I couldn't get enough.

My Collection

tpfkabi

Finally got around to watching Los Olvidados that I DVR'd back in October from TCM.
Nothing like a 64 yr old movie to make you lose all hope in humanity.
The egg to the lense - not sure how it stayed so clean unless they had some kind of clear plastic on top and seemlessly pulled it down. Maybe egg yolk is just that solid to not leave residue?
Mom sleeping with the child murdering child, the blind man even getting fresh with the little girl. You dark, Bunuel, dark.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alexandro

being a mexican film from the so called "golden age", I saw los olvidados a few times on tv as I was growing up. Seeing it among all the other classic mexican films, it was easy to get lured in expecting a standard "poor people are noble" narrative, only to get punched in the gut halfway through. however, I had the chance of seeing it on the big screen, in 35mm about ten years ago and it left an indelible impression on me, particularly the dream sequence, which I have seen before, but never felt it's power as when I saw in the cinema. It's one of the most disturbing and weird and intense dream sequences ever. Buñuel was equally ruthless with poor and rich alike, and he never had that quality which tends to be overpraised these days of "loving" his characters. he would laugh in the face of such a suggestion.