Ghostbusters 3

Started by Sleepless, September 04, 2008, 09:14:05 PM

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: 'Ghostbusters 3' Script Is In, Ivan Reitman Confirms He WILL Direct
Source: MTV

A few weeks ago, "Ghostbusters" writer and star Harold Ramis revealed that the long-awaited third movie in the series is planned for a 2011 release. This news broke only a short time after "Avatar" star Sigourney Weaver speculated that Bill Murray's character Pete Venkman might appear in the movie as a slimer ghost, and that Oscar, her character's son from the second movie, would be a full-fledged Ghostbuster.

Ivan Reitman, director and producer of the first two movies, stopped to chat with MTV's Josh Horowitz last night on the National Board of Review red carpet in New York City. He shied away from addressing Weaver's spoiler-y speculation, but he did have some things to say about the general state of development for "Ghostbusters III."

Reitman said that the script from "Year One" writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky is in and that a second draft is currently in the works. He also confirmed that he will indeed be returning to direct the coming sequel, as had been previously speculated.

"They have delivered a draft," Reitman said of the script's progress. "We are working our way through another draft... good work is being done and all of us have our fingers crossed."

What he wouldn't do was address exactly what that "good work" entailed. Asked about Weaver's recent comments, Reitman laughed and kept things light.

"I'm not going to comment on what's in the script and on what Sigourney may or may not have said," he told us. "She's been so busy on 'Avatar,' I've not been able to find her. There's some very cool things in the new draft, let's just put it that way."

Reitman was all business again when the talk turned back to the schedule. "I hope to start shooting in this next year," he said, giving weight to Ramis' recent comments about a planned 2011 release.

Then the bomb dropped. Asked if he would be returning to direct "Ghostbusters III," Reitman answered with a simple and unequivocal "Yes." It's good to see the old gang all getting back together, isn't it?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Vulture Exclusive: Columbia Wants a Younger Director for Ghostbusters III, But Ivan Reitman's Contract Says Otherwise
Source: NYMag

Columbia's plan to reboot Ghostbusters is being haunted by a Mike Ovitz–orchestrated deal made in the early eighties on behalf of the series' original director-producer, Ivan Reitman. The studio's strategy is to revitalize the franchise for next year by having the original 'busters train a dramatically younger crew in Ghostbusters III, while a correspondingly younger director handles things behind the camera. However, Reitman's old contract — made at the height of his and Ovitz's powers — still gives him exceptional creative control over the series, including director approval. "Those deals were made in the eighties," explains one insider. "So his rights in this circumstance have a great deal of teeth." Therefore, while it's true that Reitman can't force Columbia to make Ghostbusters III with him, he can make it nearly impossible for the studio to make the film without him.

In fact, a source tells us that Reitman and all three original principals (Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, and Harold Ramis ... sorry, Ernie Hudson!) have a deal that says that if any of the four of them don't like any element of a new Ghostbusters, they can singlehandedly veto and kill the project; it has to be unanimously approved before going forward. (Considering that both Aykroyd and Ramis have been consulting on the story, Murray is likely the only unknown quantity on the actors' side.) However, the key difference is that Columbia would love for these actors to be onboard to pass the torch and cross the streams. Not so with Reitman.

Reitman was just 42 years old when he directed the first Ghostbusters sequel in 1989, and at the time had the most lucrative track record in comedy filmmaking: Twins and Ghostbusters II grossed some $300 million that same year. But now, at 63, Reitman (whose last movie was the bomb My Super Ex-Girlfriend) is precisely what the studio isn't looking for: While the second draft of the script for Ghostbusters III — penned by The Office writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky — won't be handed in until May, insiders say that by introducing a group of twentysomething 'busters, Columbia's brass hopes to do with the franchise what it's doing with Spider-Man by hiring on (500) Days of Summer director Marc Webb.

But the studio can't fully realize that plan unless Reitman bails. Sony hoped the problem would be solved for them if Reitman were too busy on another project, which they thought just happened: Vulture has learned that Paramount green-lighted a new comedy to be directed by Reitman called Friends With Benefits (originally titled Fuckbuddies). Co-financed by the director's Montecito Picture Company, FWB will star Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman in what's described as "an inverse Harry Met Sally," a sex comedy wherein two friends in a purely physical relationship begin to develop true romantic feelings for one another. Pressed for details, a source close to the project laughed and said, "It's pretty much what you'd expect from a spec script that was originally entitled Fuckbuddies."

(In its defense, Fuckbuddies is the offspring of Liz Meriwether, youngest member of the "Fempire" — the chick screenwriting cabal that also includes Dana Fox (What Happens in Vegas), Diablo Cody (Juno), and Lorene Scafaria (Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist). The script also made 2008's Hollywood Black List of great-but-unproduced screenplays.)

However, Sony's hopes that FWB would lead to Reitman making a graceful exit from Ghostbusters III will likely be dashed. Insiders familiar with Reitman's plans say he thinks the two comedies are not mutually exclusive, and still plans to direct both, raising serious questions about whether Sony will want to proceed with Ghostbusters III at all. However, losing Ghostbusters would make a tough 2011 even tougher, as the studio has no other franchise blockbuster scheduled.

Either way, the studio might want to revisit the words of Reitman himself from a 1989 Los Angeles Times interview, in which he downplayed the merits of ever doing another Ghostbusters again: "Ghostbusters II wasn't as much fun to make as the first one," Reitman explained. "In comedy, the element of surprise is everything. And I think once that element of surprise is gone, once people know there's going to be ghosts, there's going to be big ghosts, and they're expecting something big at the end, a lot of the tools that are at your disposal are gone."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Ghostbusters 3': A sequel that will happen over Bill Murray's dead body?
Source: Los Angeles Times

You could argue that Hollywood's sequel mania really began in earnest in 1989, when the box-office grosses started piling up for both "Ghostbusters 2" and "Lethal Weapon 2," proving that there was no good reason -- from the business end of the equation -- why you had to come up with an original idea for a blockbuster movie when you could just milk something that had already worked. "Lethal Weapon" went on to a long and happy sequel life.

But Sony has never been able to mount another installment in the "Ghostbusters" franchise -- though you can't say it hasn't been for lack of trying. It feels as if every time I turn around, I read a story about how sequel efforts are moving ahead with another round of screenwriters at work, trying to figure out how to spin something off from the landmark 1984 comedy that ushered in an entire era of "Men in Black"-style comic special effects films.

If there's always one fly in the ointment, it's Bill Murray. Even though pretty much everyone else involved with the project seems to have a vested interest in making a "Ghostbusters 3," Murray, who is nothing if not an iconoclastic free spirit, keeps saying -- no way, Jose.

That doesn't mean that Sony couldn't just write him out of the movie, although some recent stories have argued that Murray, along with his fellow original stars, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, have veto power over any new project moving ahead.

But everyone seems to want his blessing. But bless his heart, Murray seems to feel the same way about sequels that I do: that with rare exception (and yes, Geoff Boucher, I'm willing to admit that "The Dark Knight" is a worthy exception), studio sequels are almost always more dutiful than inspired. In New York, promoting his new film, "Get Low," Murray laid it on the line. Asked if "Ghostbusters 3" was ever going to happen, he replied:

"No, it's ridiculous. That's an absolutely -- that's just a horrible rumor. It's like illegitimate children in Antarctica, it's ridiculous.... Mind you, we only made two, and the first one was still the better one, so another one wouldn't seem to be any better. The studio wants to make it because they can re-create the franchise and put new Ghostbusters in it. That's what it's about."

If you're laying odds, I'd say the odds of Murray giving his blessing to a new "Ghostbusters" sequel are about as good as the odds of Sandra Bullock getting back together with Jesse James.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Dan Aykroyd is writing Ghostbusters 3 (and swears it'll be good)
Source: SfyFy

Despite some very public misgivings from Bill Murray on the prospects of a getting the Ghostbusters back together, Dan Aykroyd is busily rewriting the script and promises not only that the sequel will be good, but that it'll pass the torch to a new generation.

Back in August, the notoriously press-shy Murray gave a rare interview to GQ, in which he said that he didn't have high hopes for the writers (Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg, who wrote the prehistoric flopedy Year One) hired to script Ghostbusters 3: "Well, I never went to see Year One, but people who did, including other Ghostbusters, said it was one of the worst things they had ever seen in their lives. So that dream just vaporized. That was gone."

Aykroyd remains far more optimistic than his counterpart. "I think he was concerned that the writing on Ghostbusters 3 by these guys would not be up to standard, but I can tell you firsthand, I'm working on the script now and those two—Stupnitsky and Eisenberg, [writer-producers on The Office]—wrote Bill the comic role of a lifetime, and the new Ghostbusters and the old are all well represented in it ... we have a strong first draft that Harold [Ramis] and I will take back, and I'm very excited about working on it."

And the one-time Blues Brother isn't in denial about the fact that he and his fellow supernatural exterminators are no longer the spry, middle-aged men they were when they shot the first Ghostbusters back in the early '80s.

"Now [in Ghostbusters 3] my character's eyesight is shot, I got a bad knee, a bad hip—I can't drive that Caddy anymore or lift that Proton Accelerator anymore, it's too heavy. We need young legs, new minds—new Ghostbusters; so I'm in essence passing the torch to the new regime, and you know what? That's totally okay with me."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Derek

what is that photo from?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pubrick

Quote from: Derek on October 17, 2010, 09:28:30 PM
what is that photo from?

he was at the Scream awards (whatever that means) collecting the award for best horror film for zombieland. felt like dressing up.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

so is it meant to be semi-cruel, spike tv stunt a la bttf/fox, or an actual sign he may be giving his consent?

he's 60 i think. they didn't run too much as ghostbusters. i don't know why the original guys won't do it. make fun of the age thing and (don't) run with it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

tpfkabi

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73083

Exclusive: Ivan Reitman on Ghostbusters 3
Source: Jenna Busch January 7, 2011

"When do we get to see 'Ghostbusters 3'?" You know it's the first thing you'd ask director Ivan Reitman. ComingSoon.net got a chance to sit down with the man who brought us Slimer to chat about his new film No Strings Attached. Sure, we talked about the film, (check back for our interview soon) but there was no way we were leaving the room without getting the scoop on whether we'd see the proton packs again. There has been plenty of news, from who's read the script and who hated it to whether Venkman's son would be taking over the business. Here's what Reitman has to say.

ComingSoon.net: So, you know we have to ask you what's going on with "Ghostbusters 3," right?
Ivan Reitman: [laughs] We have a really good script, but Bill (Murray) has to read it. He hasn't read it. There has been all kinds of chatter online about him reading it and not liking it. He has not read a thing. He's never read anything. And I just sent it to him. So we'll see. God knows how long that will take. But we'll see.

CS: There have been a ton of stories online. Lots of back and forth...
Reitman: There is almost nothing that is accurate online about that film. Will you write that for me?

CS: I will!
Reitman: There is nothing... I mean, all these stories... there has been a ton of stuff about casting, about who's in... none of it is true.

CS: The whole Sigourney Weaver thing about her son taking over and Bill Murray coming back as a ghost...
Reitman: Oh, no, yeah... I mean, Sigourney Weaver has a role in this movie. All the original characters have parts. As well as a whole bunch of new characters... it's got a really good story, this one. Maybe the best of the whole series. I hope we get to do it.

Read more: Exclusive: Ivan Reitman on Ghostbusters 3 - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73083#ixzz1AlSSlLCs
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

'Ghostbusters 3': Dan Aykroyd Spills Details on Plot
"We will be doing the movie and hopefully with" Bill Murray, the actor says.
Source: THR

It looks like the Ghostbusters will be back in action.

After months of speculation, Dan Aykroyd, one of the original stars, hinted Thursday on The Dennis Miller Show that the film could start shooting in the spring.

He added that Bill Murray has not yet committed to the project, but he and the creatives behind the film are hoping Murray signs on to reprise his role from the first two films.

"Yes, we will be doing the movie and hopefully with Mr. Murray," he said, as reported by ComingSoon.net. "That is our hope. We have an excellent script."

In March, Ivan Reitman expressed that same sentiment to The Hollywood Reporter, saying: "There's a very good script that the other cast members have read and liked. We're just waiting for Bill Murray to read it."

But on Thursday, Aykroyd argued that the movie could go forward without Murray should he decide not to return.

"What we have to remember is that Ghostbusters is bigger than any one component, although Billy was absolutely the lead and contributive to it in a massive way, as was the director and Harold [Ramis], myself and Sigourney [Weaver]," he said. "The concept is much larger than any individual role and the promise of Ghostbusters 3 is that we get to hand the equipment and the franchise down to new blood."

The story line, according to Aykroyd, will center around the original Ghostbusters' inability to effectively bust ghosts anymore, so they set out to find new recruits.

"My character, Ray, is now blind in one eye and can't drive the Cadillac," he says, "He's got a bad knee and can't carry the packs. ... Egon [Ramis' character] is too large to get into the harness. We need young blood and that's the promise. We're gonna hand it to a new generation."

It's unclear whether the fourth Ghostbuster, Ernie Hudson, would be part of the cast. In April, the actor said he had not been approached by anyone in the project.

"I haven't seen anybody with any money, but I hear it's happening, and I've been reading all the press stuff, and the fans have been telling me that it's on," he told TMZ.

Meanwhile, Aykroyd did say Thursday that there has been no casting decisions made, but one of his recommendations would be Criminal Minds actor Matthew Gray Gubler.

"There's going to be a casting," he added.":We're going to see everyone that wants to do it. We're going to need ... three guys and a young woman."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

lol. Bill Murray's been trolling Aykroyd for years. Gets funnier every decade.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

'Ghostbusters 3': Bill Murray Out, Dan Aykroyd Says Film's Future Uncertain
With one co-star refusing to participate, long-awaited sequel in question.
Source: THR

Ghostbusters 3 will remain just an elusive specter, for now.

After a number of false starts, re-assurances and rumors, Ghostbusters creator, co-writer and co-star Dan Aykroyd has told London's Telegraph newspaper that a long-awaited third film in the famed sci-fi comedy franchise is on the backburner.

"At this point it's in suspended animation. The studio, the director Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis feel there must be a way to do it, but Bill Murray will not do the movie. He doesn't want to be involved," Aykroyd explained. "He's got six kids, houses all over America. He golfs in these tournaments where they pay him to turn up and have a laugh. He's into this life and living it. I know we'd have a lot of fun [but] I can't be mad at him. He's a friend first, a colleague second. We have a deep personal relationship that transcends business and he doesn't want to know."

Earlier in the month, Akroyd hinted in an interview with Empire Magazine that Murray, who played Dr. Peter Venkman in the first two films, was not eager to be involved, but had not shred the script, as had been rumored on the web.

"Bill Murray is not capable of such behavior. This is simply something that would not be in his nature." he said. "Bill has too much positive estimation of my writing skills to shred the work."

In late 2010, Aykroyd said that the script offered Murray "a comic role of a lifetime."

Speaking of the script, Aykroyd told the Telegraph that anything they film would have to be respectful of the franchise's past.

"We're not going to do a movie that exploits the franchise," he said. "The script has to be perfect. I'm the cheerleader, but I'm only one voice in the matter."

In August, Aykroyd told The Hollywood Reporter that the film was written, and it could work without Murray.

"What we have to remember is that Ghostbusters is bigger than any one component, although Billy was absolutely the lead and contributive to it in a massive way, as was the director and Harold [Ramis], myself and Sigourney [Weaver]," he said. "The concept is much larger than any individual role and the promise of Ghostbusters 3 is that we get to hand the equipment and the franchise down to new blood."

The new franchise members, he said, would require the casting of three young men and one woman.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Paul Feig confirms he's on board for 'Ghostbusters' with 'hilarious women'
by Esther Zuckerman | EW

Paul Feig is the man to call. Feig confirmed on Twitter that he is indeed working on a new Ghostbusters movie starring women, and is bringing his The Heat collaborator Katie Dippold along with him.

It's official. I'm making a new Ghostbusters & writing it with @katiedippold & yes, it will star hilarious women. That's who I'm gonna call.

— Paul Feig (@paulfeig) October 8, 2014

The Hollywood Reporter reported that Dippold was going to co-write the project with Feig earlier today. In August various outlets reported that Feig was in talks to direct the movie. Variety reported then that his film would not be a sequel, but rather a reboot with female Ghostbusters.

Now it's time to let casting speculation begin. The combination of Feig and Dippold raises hopes that Melissa McCarthy will be involved. After all, Feig re-teamed with McCarthy for The Heat after she shined in Bridesmaids, which he also directed. McCarthy is also on the list of women Bill Murray floated when asked about the reboot at the Toronto International Film Festival. The Toronto Star reported that Murray's ideal Ghostbusters would be McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Linda Cardellini, and Emma Stone.

Feig's announcement give hope for the future of the franchise, which has long been in question. After Harold Ramis died in February, Ivan Reitman backed out of directing the third Ghostbusters film.

Skeleton FilmWorks

so, bloodydisgusting has a detailed summary/breakdown of what they believe is the original script.

jenkins

i thought Spy was going to prepare me for Ghostbusters, i now wonder if i'll like Spy more than Ghostbusters. but also trailers are dangerous and what is this, i watch trailers now? it must be because i'm excited about Ghostbusters