Edgar Wright

Started by MacGuffin, February 22, 2012, 05:41:18 PM

MacGuffin

Disney Taps Edgar Wright To Helm Johnny Depp In 'The Night Stalker' Feature Redo
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Disney is setting Edgar Wright to direct The Night Stalker, the remake of the ABC telepic and series that the studio is developing as a potential star vehicle for Johnny Depp to play intrepid tabloid reporter Carl Kolchak. Depp and his Infinitum Nihil partner Christi Dembrowski will produce.

Wright, best known for directing Shaun of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, comes aboard before the studio has set a writer, and he will oversee and shape the project with Depp and Dembrowski from the ground floor. As Deadline revealed, the film took root at the studio last summer, borne out of Depp and Dembrowski's fond memories of the original 70s movie and series that starred Darren McGavin. He covered crime for a tabloid and his cases always led to supernatural perpetrators that included zombies, vampires, werewolves and aliens. Of course, neither his editor nor anyone else would believe him or allow him to run what seemed like outrageous stories. But Kolchak would put himself in grave danger each episode. David Kennedy will be exec producer of the film.

The subject matter will be tailored to fit Disney's family film mandate and likely a PG-13 rating, but the idea of Wright's hyper-reality style and Depp's gift for constructing quirky characters sounds like a good match to me. Wright is also attached to direct Ant-Man for Marvel Studios and Disney.

The Night Stalker was one of two films that Depp and Dembrowski set at the studio. The other was a drama about the Midnight Ride made by Paul Revere to warn Colonial militia of the impending British invasion that made him a seminal figure in the American Revolutionary War. Jon Brown and Infinitum Nihil's Margaret French-Isaac will be executive producers.

Depp next saddles up for Disney with Armie Hammer in the Gore Verbinski-directed The Lone Ranger. Wright's repped by CAA, Anonymous Content's Michael Sugar and UK-based Independent Talent.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Please be better than the Frank Spotnitz TV show. Also, please don't cast Johnny Depp.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

Working Title And Edgar Wright Plan September Start For 'The World's End'

EXCLUSIVE: Working Title and Edgar Wright have set a September start date for The World's End, the last in a trilogy of comedies that started with Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz. Wright, who'll direct, wrote the script with Simon Pegg. Once again, Pegg stars with Nick Frost. Universal Pictures hasn't yet green lit the film, but is expected to after the modestly budgeted pair of comedies grossed $108 million worldwide between them. The plan is for The World's End to reach theaters in spring, 2013.

The logline: 20 years after attempting an epic pub crawl, five childhood friends reunite when one of them becomes hell bent on trying the drinking marathon again. They are convinced to stage an encore by mate Gary King, a 40-year old man trapped at the cigarette end of his teens, who drags his reluctant pals to their home town and once again attempts to reach the fabled pub, The World's End. As they attempt to reconcile the past and present, they realize the real struggle is for the future, not just theirs but humankind's. Reaching The World's End is the least of their worries.

The film is produced by Working Title partners Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner, and Nira Park of Big Talk Productions. Wright, who last directed Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, is separately adapting the series The Night Stalker for Disney as a star vehicle for Johnny Depp. Wright's repped by CAA, Independent Talent Group and Anonymous Content.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Edgar Wright To Direct Paramount's 'Collider,' Mark Protosevich To Write

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures is mobilizing a sci-fi film called Collider, and it is a collision of several of the top guys in the genre. Edgar Wright will direct the film, and he is co-writing the script with I Am Legend's Mark Protosevich. Wright is producing with his longtime Big Talk Productions partner Nira Park and JJ Abrams through his Bad Robot banner.

Like with all Bad Robot fare, a log line was tough to get. The deal comes after Protosevich scripted the Oldboy remake that Spike Lee will direct with Josh Brolin (Protosevich is co-producer), and he also got story credit on Thor and scripted the video game transfer Mass Effect for Legendary.

Wright, meanwhile, next directs The World's End with his cohorts Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, and he certainly perked up Marvel's Comic-Con Hall H panel when he revealed some rough test-shot footage from Ant-Man, one of the next Marvel live-action films in the offing which Wright will direct. Protosevich and Wright are repped by CAA, and Wright is managed by Anonymous Content.

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

374 topics:

1 a coworker and i chatted about ant-man and he pretty much convinced me, through his calm no-frills attitude, that edgar wright isn't necessarily the best director for a summer movie and ant-man's future is fine and dandy. overall appreciate this positive attitude

2 various directors list their favorite sci-fi movies. all kinds of fun names, but i heard about it via wright so here's that:
Edgar Wright's top ten
2001: A Space Odyssey
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Alien
The Thing (1982)
Brazil
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Her
Silent Running
Westworld
Phase IV (1974)
http://www.timeout.com/london/film/the-100-best-sci-fi-movies-film-and-tv-a-f

3 Edgar Wright Putting Baby Driver Back In Gear
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41598

MacGuffin

Comic-Con: Edgar Wright Still In Insect Mode On Sony's 'Grasshopper Jungle'
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is setting Edgar Wright to direct Grasshopper Jungle, the acclaimed Andrew Smith YA novel that is being adapted by Beautiful Girls scribe Scott Rosenberg. Rosenberg is producing with Amazing Spider-Man's Matt Tolmach and they will be joined by Nira Park, who is at the center of all Wright's films. Wright, you'll remember, recently squashed his participation in Ant-Man, the Marvel Studios film that has Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas still starring, because he and Marvel clashed over visions for the wannabe franchise. Wright is staying in insect mode, but moved onto a project that suits his sci-fi sensibility and teams him with Rosenberg, as distinctive a dialogue writer as Wright is a visual director of popcorn films.

Wright's importance here at Comic-Con wasn't lost on me yesterday as I walked among the throng and noticed that right between the two men holding the bright yellow signs reminding us we should repent and are going to hell, a guy held an equally bold sign on a wooden stake that read "Edgar Wright Was Right." Whether that was for him sticking to his guns on his version of Ant-Man or something else, the filmmaker is beloved here. I've seen him speak in years past at Marvel panels as the difficult visual effects that will shrink Ant-Man were being harnessed, and last year he was here vamping The World's End, the alien-attacks-pub-crawlers film that was the third in the Cornetto Trilogy he made with Nick Frost and Simon Pegg.

Grasshopper Jungle, which is best described as Stand By Me meets Attack The Block, seems right in Wright's wheelhouse. It's a coming-of-age story that focuses on an Iowa teen trying to come to grips with his own raging hormones and sexual feelings as he and his cohorts cause a deadly genetically engineered plague that unleashes an army of 6-foot-tall praying mantises. Those bugs live the life these guys wish for, acting on an insatiable appetite for fighting, food, and fornicating.

Wright will next direct Baby Driver for Working Title Films, a script he wrote that's described to me as a collision of crime, action, music and sound. He's also reading a movie version of the classic Darren McGavin series The Night Stalker. The filmmaker's emergence on Grasshopper Jungle is a funny story. Tolmach is a big fan and he befriended Wright on Facebook. When Tolmach saw that Wright was urged to look at Grasshopper Jungle because it was such an Edgar Wright film, Tolmach wrote and said he agreed, and that he controlled the book after Tolmach and execs Michael De Luca and Elizabeth Cantillon bought it earlier this year. Wright invited him to send a copy. That led directly to this deal, showing that not all social media is an utter waste of time. Wright is repped by CAA, Anonymous Content and Independent Talent.

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

Edgar Wright is attached to direct an adaptation of Set My Heart to Five, an upcoming novel about a robot learning to love.

According to a synopsis, the story is "set in an all-too human 2054" and follows Jared, an android that works as a dentist, as he undergoes an emotional awakening that is sparked by an introduction to '80s and '90s movies. He then embarks on a quest to convince humans that he and his kind should be permitted to feel. It's a quest that leads to an unforgettable adventure across the West Coast of America, determined to meet to programmer that created him and write a film script that will change the world.

Author Simon Stephenson is set to adapt from his own manuscript.

jenkins

it's a love letter to their entire career. it's a long career so it's a long doc. it mentions the Tati and Burton disappointments and hypes Carax

WorldForgot

QuoteEdgar Wright’s psychological thriller about a young girl, passionate in fashion design, who is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters her idol, a dazzling wannabe singer. But 1960s London is not what it appears, and time seems to fall apart with shady consequences…

Dang, no matter how it ends up hitting (Baby Driver iz fun fluff, somehow I find Spaced + Hot Fuzz to have more substance, although they are really meta-texts on entertainment, Scott Pilgrim iz unmatched as Grand Pop-Art) -- I suspect this plot will be ripe for analyzing along the linez of Mark Fisher's hauntology + lost futurez.

jenkins

he's a commercial filmmaker with a deep passion for filmmaking and although he's like time and again the least fun filmmaker to talk about i hope this turns into a rewarding experience

PinkTeeth

Old movie marquees are so hot right now
New Name, Same Typos.

Alma

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1397238328072851459

This looks fun, v. Suspiria/Repulsion inspired. Will be cool to see Terence Stamp, Rita Tushingham and Diana Rigg (RIP) in a 60s set film, he always has great casting choices.

pynchonikon

As much as I like Edgar Wright, I don't feel he's the right guy to pull such stuff off, the trailer seems like walking the line between self-seriousness and intentional cheesy. I guess the script he co-write with Krysty Wilson-Cairns (she was apparently in the writing team of Penny Dreadful's final season) will have more of her input than his.

WorldForgot

If it fallz flat, we still have The Neon Demon >:D

jenkins

he's an emotional filmmaker. I know it's wild to say but the meaning isn't on the surface