TRUE ROMANCE / NATURAL BORN KILLERS / FROM DUSK TIL DAWN ?

Started by modage, May 27, 2003, 11:18:21 PM

modage

okay, how about this one?  favorite Tarantino interpretation?  as in, which one of these Tony Scott/Oliver Stone/Robert Rodriguez directed, (Tarantino scripted) movies was your favorite?  (feel free to make this a poll).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Keener

I can't choose. I love all three equally. From Dusk Till Dawn was closest to Tarantino's style in terms of color and dialouge. True Romance was more serious and lacked some of the color (though still GREAT) and Natural Born Killers is its own intentity.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

SHAFTR

I really like From Dusk Till Dawn...
when I watch True Romance...I can't help to think about how different/better it would be had Tarantino directed it.  With From Dusk Till Dawn...there is a little bit of Tarantino style.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Cecil

hard to say. i think i watch nbk more often though.

Duck Sauce

you are all girls...

1True Romance
2Natural Born Killers
3From Dusk Till Dawn (hated)

Keener

Quote from: Duck SauceDusk Till Dawn (hated)

Prepare to die, suckknee.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Cecil

Quote from: Keener
Quote from: Duck SauceDusk Till Dawn (hated)

Prepare to die, suckknee.

i fear there will be similar differences of opinions over kill bill. i believe that pretty much anyone who goes "blah charlie angels rip off" at the trailer just doesnt get it and probably wont like the film. this is the same for dusk till dawn, its total cheeze exploitation cinema. some like it, others dont. (look at taz, he like everyhting cheezy and sucky  :lol: )

Ghostboy

I'm actually really glad QT didn't direct any of these. It's nice to see other people handling his stuff and, in the case of NBK, rewriting it and turning it into something almost 100% different (and quite arguably better) than what Tarantino would have done with it.

So of those, Natural Born Killers would be my favorite, and also the best (I'd go into how brilliant it is, but that's a whole different thread). True Romance is second, and From Dusk Till Dawn is a very definite third.  The whole argument about how it feels like two different movies is certainly true, but I think that's the point. It's fun, for the most part.

How about that behind the scenes doc on NBK? It's almost as awesome as the movie itself.

modage

honestly?

1. FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
2. TRUE ROMANCEE
3. NATURAL BORN KILLERS
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

Man, I love all those films equally. But if I had to...

1)FDTD
2)NBK
3)TR

I get annoyed now when all hell breaks out in FDTD, I just want them to carry along as normal.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: Duck Sauceyou are all girls...

1True Romance
2Natural Born Killers
3From Dusk Till Dawn (hated)

Rock on, Duck...... 8)
Although I would have liked Tarantino to direct True Romance....(despite the fact that for all intents and purposes he wrote the script with himself in it)......
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Void

I loved all three, but for sake of choosing:

1.True Romance
2.Natural Born Killers
3.From Dusk til dawn
So far I have been unable to think of a signature

©brad

nbk was rewritten by two different writers after stone got a hold of it. stone had said that he liked tarantino's original script, but essentially it was a B-movie, and he wanted to do something more.

ShanghaiOrange

On a similar note, I'd like to see Tarantino direct someone else's script, just to see what it would turn out like.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

ono

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeOn a similar note, I'd like to see Tarantino direct someone else's script, just to see what it would turn out like.
Well, he did adapt Rum Punch, y'know.  ;)  And really, it's HARD doing an adaptation of someone else's work.  Writing a screenplay from a book is very similar in theory to directing someone else's screenplay.