Peterloo

Started by wilder, July 24, 2018, 12:07:10 PM

wilder

Portrays one of the bloodiest episodes in British history, the infamous Peterloo Massacre of 1819, where government-backed cavalry charged into a peaceful crowd of 80,000 that gathered in Manchester, England to demand democratic reform.

Written and Directed by Mike Leigh
Starring Rory Kinnear, Maxine Peake, Neil Bell, Philip Jackson, Vincent Franklin, Karl Johnson, and Tim McInnerny
Release Date - April 5, 2018

Alethia

Trailer doesn't feel very Mike Leigh..... Still looks good though! All of his other period pieces are fantastic, so I'm hopeful.

Something Spanish

held me in rapt attention for over 2 1/2 hours, rare for a procedural history lesson type movie. an epic Mike Leigh joint, loved it, yet see how folks more familiar with the subject would find it a bit preachy or explanatory. the authenticity of the costumes, actors, extras, dialogue is worth time and money alone. love Leigh, this one stands high in his catalogue. building up to the main event was immersive, by showtime you've become a reformer yourself rallying against those greedy parliamentary bastards.

was on the fence about seeing it on the big screen considering it'll be part of Prime in no time, so glad I did, an epic like this truly deserves to be seen in a movie theater. the sheer size of the cast is astonishing in its own right. see it on the big screen if you can.

Sleepless

I won't be seeing it on a big screen, but thanks for sharing your reaction to it. So many reviews have called it a bore, so its nice to know that isn't universal.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

samsong

criminally underappreciated, and another typically great work from mr. leigh.   i admittedly put it off for a while because of how lukewarm the reception has been.  should've had faith in my boy mike. 

Sleepless

Forgot to mention when I watched this a few months back, but yeah, this is great. You should watch it.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.