The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Started by wilder, April 05, 2018, 04:43:10 PM

wilder

An advertising executive jumps back and forth in time between 21st century London and 17th century La Mancha, where Don Quixote mistakes him for Sancho Panza.

Directed by Terry Gilliam
Starring Adam Driver, Olga Kurylenko, Stellan Skarsgård, Jonathan Pryce, Jordi Mollà, and Sergi López
Release Date - April 10, 2019

polkablues

Looks great, but I'm not counting out the possibility that every hard drive containing a copy of the finished film will just spontaneously combust or something before it actually releases.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

By the way, he's in legal fight about the movie so he can't release it.
Ascension.

wilberfan

After all these years--ONE night.  Jesus.  Down is up, and up is down.  Better mark April 10th on the ol' calendar, I guess.  ("Life of Brian" is coming back for one night, too, I believe...)

wilberfan

A shame how quickly and relatively quietly this film came and went after all the time and effort that Gilliam put into it.   An even bigger shame is how bad it was...

SaunchSmilax

Definitely a shame how quietly it came and went because Terry deserved better after such a long journey to the screen.

But I absolutely adored it! Might just be my new favorite of his. Incredibly thoughtful and reflective. An allegory for Gilliam's own struggles with production and the impact – both positive and negative – a film can have on the people involved in its making.

One of Driver's more nuanced roles (which is really saying something) and Pryce turns in a performance for the ages. Can't wait to rewatch and let those beautiful oranges and blues of the Spanish countryside wash over me.
"All I ever wanted was a cool '78 'Vette and a house in the country."

WorldForgot

I dug it, too, but I haven't even seen The Fisher King! Watching this I felt like I needed to know Gilliam's entire personality, or erm, like I really WANT to, because it shines through in slicez that recall Brazil, even Time Bandits and Python with its giants. Need to revisit once I've gone through his films chronologically. I mean, the film uses Memory and the ghost of film productions as its main device.