Mr. Pink

Started by (kelvin), November 13, 2003, 01:44:24 PM

(kelvin)

I don't know if this has come up yet here, but I'll ask anyway:

This is really intriguing me. At the end of Reservoir Dogs, does Mr. Pink get away with the suitcase? I always thought he did. But a friend of mine told me that Mr. Pink is caught by the cops in the script, and apparently you could even hear it at the end of the film (when using earphones, he said).

So what?

i've always thought that the best thing to do about those movie situations is to leave 'em as they are and do not ask questions.  just like the briefcase in pulp fiction. or the frogs in magnolia.  they all had their reasons for doing it that way.

have a very nice day!
context, context, context.

xerxes

Quote from: chuckhimselfoi've always thought that the best thing to do about those movie situations is to leave 'em as they are and do not ask questions.  just like the briefcase in pulp fiction. or the frogs in magnolia.  they all had their reasons for doing it that way.

have a very nice day!

what a cop out

SoNowThen

yes, Pink is caught outside by the cops.

they're yelling orders at him, and he screams "okay, just don't shoot".

but hey, he's the only one to survive, so that in itself is an accomplishment.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Finn

Mr. Pink is pretty cool, but I prefer Mr. White or Brown
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

what the FUCK is a cop out?!    :?

is it a policeman on his day off?  (applause)
context, context, context.

(kelvin)

Quote from: SoNowThenyes, Pink is caught outside by the cops.

they're yelling orders at him, and he screams "okay, just don't shoot".

but hey, he's the only one to survive, so that in itself is an accomplishment.

My life will never be the same again...

What is Tarantino's point? Why let Mr. Pink be arrested if hardly anyone notices it?

SoNowThen

Everyone's kinda gotta get caught or killed...

rules of the genre
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

(kelvin)

Quote from: SoNowThenEveryone's kinda gotta get caught or killed...

rules of the genre

Those may apply to Kubrick's The Killing, but not to Reservoir Dogs, I'd say. Whatever, the myth is destroyed. I mean, I really sort of liked Mr. Pink. He just seemed too smart to get caught. Whatever.

Weak2ndAct

Yeah, but at least he put up a fight.  You can hear him yell "I'm fuckin' shot!  Don't shoot!"  

That's how come it took so long for the cops to move in.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Maybe Mr. Pink's apprehending was in the script and QT didn't have the budget actors or patience to film it. But it was still important to him so he kept in that little piece that only the observers of aural subtlety usually note.

MacGuffin

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionMaybe Mr. Pink's apprehending was in the script and QT didn't have the budget actors or patience to film it. But it was still important to him so he kept in that little piece that only the observers of aural subtlety usually note.

Nope. It always meant to be Off Screen:

We hear outside a CAR START.  Then the SOUND of a BULLHORN
      yells out:

POLICE FORCE (OS)
                Freeze! Get out of the car and lie
                face down on the ground!

MR. PINK (OS)
                Don't shoot!

We now hear SIRENS, the SOUNDS of more CARS DRIVING UP,
      MEN RUNNING to the warehouse.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

coffeebeetle

Quote from: chriskelvin
Quote from: SoNowThenEveryone's kinda gotta get caught or killed...

rules of the genre

Those may apply to Kubrick's The Killing, but not to Reservoir Dogs, I'd say. Whatever, the myth is destroyed. I mean, I really sort of liked Mr. Pink. He just seemed too smart to get caught. Whatever.

Hey man, look at it this way: if you didn't hear it or see it, it didn't happen.  Feel better now? I know I do.  :)
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

i just watched this movie today for the first time in probably 5 years.  when i went to college, it was one of a handful of VHS that were stolen from my collection, and since i got the special edition DVD last year i watched the extras but hadnt ever gotten around to watching it.  i didnt remember how violent this movie was.  i remember hearing about the violence back when it came out but i used to watch these types of movies more often then and didnt bother me.  now, it was so blood-soaked it was interesting, but not pleasant.  i dont remember the acting/direction to be a little amateurish either, but it stuck out a little more this time that it was a 'first movie on a shoestring budget' type-deal.  not that it was bad, but it wasnt something that i would neccesarily want to ever watch.  which is funny because in high school i must've seen it dozens and dozens of times, but with 5 years or so between us now it seems like a different movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.