Pearl Jam

Started by rustinglass, July 21, 2003, 03:02:55 PM

meatwad

Quote from: Pubrickwhat the FUCj was up with john goodman the other nite? disturbing stuff.

what happened?

tpfkabi

i saw them play Masters of War. i thought they played well and Vedder sounded great. is this song off of the Farenheit 9/11 soundtrack (Letterman mentioned it before they played)?

is this a direct stab at Bush. i mean, i'm all for people liking or disliking political figures and having the right to speak out about it (isn't this what is great about the USA?), but to wish death on them........that's a bit extreme.
but then again, maybe i misunderstood the lyrics.

if someone could link me to the lyrics or give their interpretation i would be thankful.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

big ideas (is having trouble getting one)

lyrics for masters of war, dylan:

Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins

How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
Even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead

i think the death referred to in the last part is a figurative one in this case. if it was directed at bush (obviously), then his death would be the end of his political career, not getting elected.

on the other hand, if it is taken literally along with everything else, in the context of the song it's just a character being justifiably angry. from the liner notes of the original release:

Quote from: Whoever wrote the liner notes on The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan"Masters of War" startles Dylan himself. "I've never really written anything like that before," he recalls. "I don't sing songs which hope people will die, but I couldn't help it in this one. The song is a sort of striking out, a reaction to the last straw, a feeling of what can you do?" The rage (which is as much anguish as it is anger) is a away of catharsis, a way of getting temporary relief from the heavy feeling of impotence that affects many who cannot understand a civilization which juggles it's own means for oblivion and calls that performance an act toward peace.

besides, hoping sumthing never did anything except for the person hoping.

Quote from: meatwad
Quote from: Pubrickwhat the FUCj was up with john goodman the other nite? disturbing stuff.

what happened?
one of the worst interviews ever. they alotted two guests spots just for him, as they do when a reasonably interesting person comes along. but it all went horribly wrong.

my guess is that he's going through sum sort of Jerry Lewis disease treatment, and if he is then it's all good. otherwise.. well, letterman had to cut the interview short and bring Tom Waits (musical guest) to talk for a segment. so at least sum good came out of it.

i'm avoiding explaining what happened, the less said about it the better.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

i didn't know it was a Dylan song, so thanks. it makes much more sense now. my conclusion wasn't from leftfield though. i have read of Vedder stomping on a Bush mask while singing Bushleaguer.

did you have to belittle me by using my username against me?
that's already been done several times. its actually a reference to a famous unreleased Radiohead song.

........and somewhere water trickles under a bridge

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideasdid you have to belittle me by using my username against me?
that's already been done several times. its actually a reference to a famous unreleased Radiohead song.
i know, that was the reference i was making by changing the bracket part.

i considered using a wink icon. now i know to use them with u  :wink:
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Masters of war may be my favorite Dylan song... just because of it's unpredicted, highly emotional anger... odd coming from Dylan and that's what makes it great.

I would like to have seen it performed by PJ... just because I like it when I like Pearl Jam.

tpfkabi

what kind of instrumentation does Dylan's version have?
is it just him and an acoustic?
the only Dylan i have is Hwy 61.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Bethieabout the Reading show... I don't have a way of transportation.  and no one seems to care.

:cry:     :cry:     :cry:  

:(

REALLY sorry to hear that.   :(

Not to rub it in but it was a phenomenal show.  They did a version of Animal which was insane.  It was like 1993 all over again.  And they tore the roof off with Baba O'Riley.  

If I can find a bootleg of the show, I'll let you know.  

Quote from: Pedro the Alpacagross. death cab's boring...

I wasn't too impressed with them.  About 10 seconds into their set, I thought to myself, "Oh, they're that kind of band."  I didn't hate them but they didn't really interest me in the slightest.

mogwai

ALL THE PEARLS!

PEARL JAM have confirmed details of their greatest hits compilation 'REARVIEWMIRROR'.

Released on November 15, the 2CD album spans the band's entire career, with three songs, 'Once', 'Alive' and 'Black' remixed for this collection by longtime collaborator Brendan O'Brien.

The tracklisting runs:

CD1

Once
Alive
Even Flow
Jeremy
State of Love and Trust
Animal
Go
Dissident
Rearviewmirror
Spin the Black Circle
Corduroy
Not for You
I Got ID
Hail Hail
Do the Evolution
Save You

CD2

Black
Breath
Daughter
Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
Immortality
Betterman
Nothingman
Who You Are
Off He Goes
Given to Fly
Wishlist
Last Kiss
Nothing As It Seems
Light Years
I Am Mine
Man of the Hour
Yellow Ledbetter

SiliasRuby

Quote from: mogwai

PEARL JAM have confirmed details of their greatest hits compilation 'REARVIEWMIRROR'.

Released on November 15, the 2CD album spans the band's entire career, with three songs, 'Once', 'Alive' and 'Black' remixed for this collection by longtime collaborator Brendan O'Brien.
Yipeee....It's being released on my birthday.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

mogwai

i'm downloading a pearl jam concert, on the 1st of september (this year) they played at the gorge amphitheatre in washington.

it's of course not for free, it costs $9,99 for each gig over at http://bootlegs.pearljam.com. you get the songs, you get printable cd covers and backgrounds, and a bunch of pics from the show. here's some of the pics i got:

eddie looking buffed up and sporting longer hair again.

stone is growing a beard.

jeff is the only bassist in the world who can sleep and play the bass at the same time.

matt at calmer moments.

mike with his buddy holly tribute.

the setlist for this show is:

Acoustic Set List: I Believe In Miracles (Ramones), Small Town, Off He Goes, Low Light, Man Of The Hour, I Am Mine, Crazy Mary, Black, Hard To Imagine,
Set list: Given To Fly, Last Exit, Save You, Do The Evolution, Alone, Sad, Even Flow, Not For You, Corduroy, Dissident, MFC, Undone, Daughter, In My Tree, State Of Love And Trust, Alive, Porch,
1st encore: Love Boat Captain, Insignificance, Better Man, Rearviewmirror,
2nd encore: I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty), Last Kiss, Crown of Thorns, Blood,
3rd encore: Yellow Ledbetter, Baba O'Riley (The Who)

the venue:

edit: this is just crazy, $9,99 for a concert that lasts a little under three hours? i'm in heaven right now. seriously.

why are pearl jam fans hostile when you tell them you don't like the band?
do you people get this too?
context, context, context.

Bethie

eek !! hehe. I'm all giggly right now. hehe I'm seeing them this Tuesday. yay. I'm getting more excited each day.

thanks for sharing the pics, mogwai.  8)
who likes movies anyway

mogwai

Quote from: cronopiowhy are pearl jam fans hostile when you tell them you don't like the band?
do you people get this too?
i have no problem with people not liking one of your favorite bands. it's when they say the band is overrated or overexposed. because pearl jam isn't a band that's on mtv 24-7. maybe once or twice a week on mtv and some network shows their saturday night live performance from 1994. i hope that answers your question.  :yabbse-wink:

bethie, i hope you'll have a great time at the concert. i will probably buy it as well.

i also bought the vancouver show.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: cronopiowhy are pearl jam fans hostile when you tell them you don't like the band?

because its ignorant to not like pearl jam.