Peter Jackson

Started by Spike, May 03, 2003, 06:43:52 AM

Spike

What about Peter Jackson?
He's my new favourite director. All of his films are great and fascinating.
Okay, maybe "Bad Taste" and especially "Braindead" are a little bit (?!) sick, but very funny and entertaining.
And "The Frighteners" was great. A perfect mixture of comedy and horror.
Have I to say anything about "The Lord of the Rings"?  :)

Any opinions on Peter Jackson?

Spike
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Keener

I love Jackson's early stuff. Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles and Dead Alive all hold a special place in my heart. I hated The Frighteners and LotR, though.  I gotta see Heavenly Creatures and Forgotten Silver.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Spike

I LOVED "The Frighteners"! Really! And "LotR" is fantastic!
I LOVE all his films! "Heavenly Creatures" is wonderful!

Spike

Ghostboy

Yeah, I still think LOTR is something pretty special. But Dead Alive (Braindead) will always be my favorite.

Sleuth

Dead Alive is a dreamboat
I like to hug dogs

cowboykurtis

i have tried so hard to get into LOTR -- the books were childhood favorites of mine -- elijah wood ruins the movie for me -- the bastard just annoys me soo much. its a shame.
...your excuses are your own...

Redlum

Quote from: cowboykurtisi have tried so hard to get into LOTR -- the books were childhood favorites of mine -- elijah wood ruins the movie for me -- the bastard just annoys me soo much. its a shame.

As much as I love LOTR, I cant help but imagine how great it would have been to discover these movies as a kid.

What I like about Peter Jackson is that he's doing something he's wanted to do since he was young and hes totally committed to it.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Keener

Quote from: redlumWhat I like about Peter Jackson is that he's doing something he's wanted to do since he was young and hes totally committed to it.

Grow a beard ?
Alabama Film Forum

Redlum

He was born with that beard.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Keener

Love the avatar, M.
Alabama Film Forum

©brad

gotta love peter jackson. he's done the impossible in bringing LoTR to the screen. i mean just think about the amount of work that went into this dang thing. you gotta atleast acknowledge and respect that, even if you didn't care for the finished product, although i don't see how you wouldn't. its got everything you want in a movie.

Cecil

Quote from: MNo, Jackson stole Kubrick's beard.

yes, that is correct. after spielberg murdered our beloved kubrick, he sold the beard to jackson

(kelvin)

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: MNo, Jackson stole Kubrick's beard.

yes, that is correct. after spielberg murdered our beloved kubrick, he sold the beard to jackson

:-D  :-D  :-D

Those bastards...

Besides, I have to say that I didn't like LotR very much, though I recognize and respect Jackson's commitment to his project.
For example, the intro of the first movie is not really a good example for great filmmaking. What is the meaning of this awful off-commentary? It is completely superfluous, for it only comments what we are already watching on the screen.
The rest of the film was for me nothing more than naive landscape aestheticism and some Star Wars-like battle scenes against the evil, faceless army of some monsters.

Spike

Jackson did the (imo wonderful) off-commentary for those, who haven't read the books. If you would watch the beginning without the commentary it wouldn't have any sense. Try it!