Jane Fonda: A Fiery Goddess

Started by SoNowThen, November 25, 2003, 08:58:40 AM

SoNowThen

So I've only seen two Jane movies (well, 2 1/3, if you count Vadim's awful short on the Spirits Of The Dead compilation), but I must say, not only is she a powerful actress, but damn, if I was growing up in the 60's, it would've been my life's goal to marry her.

A true babe in every sense of the word!!

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

She's also an example of how an actror's or actress's politics can ruin their careers.

It's a shame. She was excellent in the China Syndrome.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SoNowThen

Well, yes, Hanoi Jane... hehehe. Yeah, that shit I don't like. But what can you do?

She's on my side now, and giving Ted Turner gray hairs daily. :-D
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

godardian

I think Klute is a fantastic film- my favorite Jane performance.

SoNowThen, I'd think you'd be opposed to Jane Fonda in some visceral way... In her heyday, she would've made our present-day Susan Sarandons et al seem positively mute!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Yep, but like I said, she seems to have seen the light now.

Also, I feel she is 10 times the actress Sarandon could ever be.

And also, she was (in her prime) about 1000 times more attractive.

aclockworkjj

I like this:

it's great for keepin' my ass from jigglin' all around...i recommend it highly.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenYep, but like I said, she seems to have seen the light now.

Also, I feel she is 10 times the actress Sarandon could ever be.

And also, she was (in her prime) about 1000 times more attractive.

Yeah... she and Bowie were like the biggest, most disappointing sellouts of the eighties. I tend not to cry "sellout," but those two... thank god for celluloid and recording studios, or nobody would ever know how interesting they were.

I think Fonda had some concentrated greatness in a few prime roles, then gave up, whereas Sarandon gives consistently good performances even in bad films, and continues to do so.

Anyone else love Klute? It's excellent.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianAnyone else love Klute? It's excellent.
yes, she plays a good whore.

and donald sutherland ain't too shabby neither.
under the paving stones.

Weak2ndAct

Klute's wonderful (though I can't get over, um, what happens to the villain).  I still can't believe in such a short span of time, Pakula made that, All The President's Men, and The Parallax View.  Pretty staggering.

godardian

Quote from: P
Quote from: godardianAnyone else love Klute? It's excellent.
yes, she plays a good whore.

and donald sutherland ain't too shabby neither.

No, not at all. I'm just coming to the discovery that Donald Sutherland once skirted the A-list, what with M*A*S*H*, Klute, and Don't Look Now.

The "tears" scene in Klute is classic, but I also always remember the tiny, brief moment where she's putting cat food into the cat's dish and then nonchalantly licks the spoon before she throws the can away. That's hilarious. I wonder if it was in the script, or she just did it?

Just Withnail

Quote from: godardianDon't Look Now

Really off topic, but I love this movie, we should talk about it.

pookiethecat

why doesn't jane fonda do any more movies?  it's as if she's uncomfortable to age as an actress... her once contemporary, vanessa redgrave still gives awesome performances: girl, interrupted; the pledge, if these walls could talk 2.
i wanna lick 'em.

MacGuffin

Quote from: pookiethecatwhy doesn't jane fonda do any more movies?

I think she kind of retired when she was with Ted Turner. But it looks like she's slowing starting come back and ease into doing films again. She was scheduled to be in Cameron Crowe's "Elizabethtown", but has since dropped out. But as of now, her part in the Jennifer Lopez movie "Monster In Law" as Lopez's mom in law looks to still be a go.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

Jane Fonda won two Oscars in the 70's, for Klute and Coming Home.  She was truly excellent in Coming Home, which was a labor of love that she helped to bring to the screen.  She also did good work in They Shoot Horses Don't They, Julia, Electric Horseman.  Like many, she sold out in the 80's -- going from political activism to making aerobics tapes.  But when she was politically active back in the late 60's and early 70's, she set the gold standard for stirring up the shit, in a way that will never be exceeded.  She makes Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon look like Republicans.  Also, she worked with Jean-Luc Godard in the early 70's, in an avowedly Marxist film.  Nowadays, even politically active celebrities play it somewhat safe, and try not to alienate too many audience members.  Fonda certainly threw caution to the wind in her prime.  Plus, she's a great actress.

An English teacher in my high school once said that American society needs people like Jane Fonda to create controversy and get the masses to confront important issues.  What value is free speech in the U.S. unless it pisses off some people?
Music is your best entertainment value.