David Lowery

Started by Robyn, January 26, 2013, 06:00:07 PM

Drenk

Thomas Pynchon didn't invent anything.
Ascension.

Something Spanish

Bitchuation‏
@Bitchuation
"Dear David Lowery: I read Scott Frank's first draft of GODLESS in 2003, long before you met him at Sundance. ALL the characters (and their names) were in that initial version."

Bitched out by the Bitchuation, who seemingly misunderstood David's thoughtful post.

RegularKarate

Double Dose of Lowery news today:

'The Old Man & The Gun' Director David Lowery, A24 Team On Fantasy Epic 'Green Knight'

Cary Fukunaga & David Lowery To Collaborate On A TV Series Based On Joe Dante's Sci-Fi Film 'Explorers'

I feel like I remember having a conversation with David about Explorers once. Maybe it was something he posted here or on his blog though.

jenkins

he's definitely a cultural figure now. he's being embraced. best wishes to him, I mean things are going well

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

Quote from: Sleepless on December 07, 2018, 11:33:27 AM
Letterboxd David Lowery Q&A

Discussing Never Goin' Back and beyond

QuoteAnd that film placed at SXSW and a couple of other places, and then she rewrote the script and recast it and when we made A Ghost Story and sold it to A24, we took proceeds from that and just put it right into her movie and used that to pay for her film. So she made the same film twice and the second time it worked, it was exactly the movie she wanted to make.
And now she has a career as a director and she's about to make a Ryan Reynolds movie. It is a sequel to Home Alone. The working title that was announced under is Stoned Alone.

jenkins

Quote from: Sleepless on December 07, 2018, 11:33:27 AM
Letterboxd David Lowery Q&A

the first line is a good line i rediscovered while looking again for the second line, which i've found myself repeating to myself since i first read it

QuoteBut A Ghost Story was the more important one for me to make, that's certainly true, and maybe there's something to be found in the fact that when you feel so compelled to do something it is because the subject matter at hand is more universal than you might understand in the moment.

QuoteYou go for what feels familiar and often what feels familiar is yourself.

csage97

Quote from: Drenk on August 02, 2017, 02:45:03 PM
Thomas Pynchon didn't invent anything.

At first I wondered WTF you were on about, and I was ready to grab my pitchfork ... until I applied some logic and read the previous comment. Strange Angel looks really interesting. I think I'd rather read the book before watching the series, though. Just in time, actually, as I've been looking for something different to read.

Ravi

https://deadline.com/2019/03/dev-patel-green-knight-movie-a24-director-david-lowery-1202569052/

Dev Patel In Talks To Star In 'Green Knight' Adaptation From A24 & Director David Lowery

Oscar nominee Dev Patel is in talks to star in A24's Green Knight, a fantasy epic retelling of the medieval tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. The company has reteamed with A Ghost Story helmer David Lowery, who will direct this latest adaptation as well as produce alongside Toby Halbrooks and James M. Johnston via their Sailor Bear production banner.

Tim Headington and Theresa Steele Page of Ley Line Entertainment are also producing the project.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is one of the most famous tales in early English literature. As the story goes, chivalrous and loyal Sir Gawain, a knight of King Arthur's Round Table, accepts the challenge of beheading the Green Knight and must wait a year and a day to receive a blow in return. In the end, it was a test of his loyalty to the king.

BRON Studio's Aaron L. Gilbert and Creative Wealth Media's Jason Cloth will serve as executive producers. A24, Ley Line, BRON Creative are financing the pic.

Patel, who received an Oscar nomination for his performance in the 2016 film, Lion, can currently be seen on the big screen in Michael Winterbottom's indie film The Wedding Guest. Up next, the Slumdog Millionaire star can be seen as the lead in Hotel Mumbai and as David Copperfield the upcoming biopic, The Personal History of David Copperfield.

He's repped by WME, Curtis Brown Group, and Magnolia Entertainment.

Shughes

Is the script for Ain't Them Bodies Saints out there at all? I'd love to read it, and/or the script/treatment that became A Ghost Story.

I miss GB's blog - I can't think of reading anything else that gave such personal insight into the process of a filmmaker, especially ATBS and Pete's Dragon. Reading those entries scratched the same itch as watching That Moment doc on the Magnolia DVD.

jenkins

if you're in la it's in the academy library which is free open to the public and where i read it

Shughes

I'm in the UK (Scotland) so that won't be an option unfortunately. I'm glad it's out there and accessible to some though. Thanks for the info.

Sleepless

How to Create a Home Theater Just Like 'The Green Knight' Director David Lowery's

Ghostboy, anytime you want to have us over for a screening, just say the word.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Ravi

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jude-law-play-captain-hook-disneys-live-action-peter-pan-wendy-1302363

Jude Law to Play Captain Hook in Disney's Live-Action 'Peter Pan & Wendy'
JULY 07, 2020 5:56PM by Borys Kit, Aaron Couch

It will be a pirate's life for Jude Law. The actor is in talks to play the villainous Captain Hook in Disney's live-action retelling of Peter Pan, based on Disney's 1953 animated movie.

David Lowery, who directed Pete's Dragon for the studio, is on board to helm Peter Pan & Wendy and co-wrote the script with Toby Halbrooks.

Peter Pan & Wendy will not the first live-action look at the characters introduced by writer J.M. Barrie in the early 20th century. Steven Spielberg's 1991 film Hook starred Robin Williams as a an adult Peter, and co-starred Dustin Hoffman as Captain Hook. Universal and Columbia's 2003 movie Peter Pan featured Jason Isaacs as the villainous pirate, while most recently, Warner Bros. released Pan, the 2015 origin story starring Hugh Jackman that faltered at the box office.

Law was recently in the Disney fold via his role in Captain Marvel, last year's tentpole from the Marvel Studios arm. He has also been playing Albus Dumbledore in the Fantastic Beasts movies from Warner Bros.

Disney has largely found box office success remaking its animated films in recent years, and in 2019 alone put out Dumbo, Aladdin, and The Lion King, with the latter two each earning more than $1 billion globally.

Law is repped by CAA.