David Lowery

Started by Robyn, January 26, 2013, 06:00:07 PM

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

Ghostboy

Very curious (mildly nervous) about what the fans of the original movie will think when they discover that this new one has absolutely no connection to it other than the title and the character name implicit in that.

Alexandro

modage

Quote from: Ghostboy on September 20, 2014, 10:31:04 AM
Very curious (mildly nervous) about what the fans of the original movie will think when they discover that this new one has absolutely no connection to it other than the title and the character name implicit in that.

I think they'll be okay. Just go easy on the CGI!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: modage on September 20, 2014, 11:13:14 AM
Just go easy on the CGI!

The CGI has turned out to be more necessary than I thought, but it'll still be relatively minimal, all things considered. There's only one company I'd trust to pull it off to my standards, and they're onboard to do it, so....fingers crossed.

Kal

So cool, can't wait to hear more and see it!!

ElPandaRoyal

Forget about the fans of the original and do your thing. Of course it's easy for me to say it, but that's what I really believe in. Fans are very important and they will watch the movie anyway, but you're making it for yourself. Just my two cents.

Also, yeah, as long as you don't CGI the hell out of it, you'll be OK.
Si

Alexandro

also (and I'm sure you know better than me on this), are there really many fans of that film? like a fanbase?? It was always kind of a bastard child in the Disney cannon, always the last film to get out on video, and generally not too respected. That's my perception. So that's good I think, because that's enough reason to do your own thing.

polkablues

Also ignore all the people telling you to lay off the CGI. As long as the CGI is artful and good, do as much as you want.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

I will only watch if the dragon is real and Pete is CGI.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ghostboy on September 20, 2014, 10:31:04 AM

Lemme guess, Daenerys returns to claim her lost dragon "son" and exacts revenge on Pete.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: polkablues on September 21, 2014, 12:27:50 PM
Also ignore all the people telling you to lay off the CGI. As long as the CGI is artful and good, do as much as you want.
Except me. Don't ignore me. I know what I'm talking about.  :yabbse-grin:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

Quote from: Ghostboy on September 20, 2014, 11:51:21 AM
There's only one company I'd trust to pull it off to my standards, and they're onboard to do it, so....fingers crossed.

fingers snahhhpped. who are you snapping for?

jenkins

^is that, is that a secret, who you want to do the visual effects? hmm. i'll float my guess and wait for announcement day

this post is to share a positive story. last night during conversations with friends, a discussion about matthew robbins led to a conversation about universal and disney which led to maleficent which led to me sharing the news that the director of ain't them bodies saints is now working with disney to create a fantasy movie, which i described, and i said there've been trips to new zealand mentioned

it was a funny(ish) moment then, because the room became silent. everyone was thinking about the life of david lowery for a moment. like i already said, pure jealousy here. in the context of the conversation, everyone was feeling jealous of lowery, tbh. and one friend quietly whispered "that's crazy" while looking at the ground and thinking about pete's dragon

how could i possibly be worried about how you're going to use computer effects, when i and many others may never be able to use them ourselves. it's flat-out the big-ticket ride and i'm excited for you