David Lowery

Started by Robyn, January 26, 2013, 06:00:07 PM

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

We don't know that yet! We don't know WHAT it's done to him, and we won't know until the next time he posts!

polkablues

Shit, I probably jinxed it.

tpfkabi

The sci-fi film with a living legend - who?
If I read it in the thread I have already forgotten.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

matt35mm

He wrote: "... a period crime movie starring a living legend and a sci-fi film from the producer of Under The Skin."

The living legend is Robert Redford. The project is THE OLD MAN AND THE GUN.

polkablues

Reading Ghostboy's production blog, I keep being struck by how insanely long a 70-day shoot seems. In the time they've been in production so far, Last Rescue would have been filmed twice with extra days off, and they're still a week away from the halfway point! Part of me loves the idea of having the luxury of money to shoot a movie with, the other part of me is terrified of the idea of having that much time to fuck things up with. And I know with deep certainty that even with those 70 days, he's still going to have a laundry list of shots and scenes he wishes he could have spent more time on. Good lord, I'm ending so many sentences with prepositions.

cliffs notes: this blog is fvcking amazing

wilder

Some gold from Lowery's blog:

QuoteThe highlight of today was introducing Robert Redford to the gaggle of kids he'd be performing with - all non-actors, all under the age of ten or eleven. One particular nine-year-old sized him up with very put-upon swagger and then, moments later, noticed his boots were untied and volunteered to lace them up for him. This wasn't necessarily a kindly offer - there was a bit of one-up-manship to it, a "need someone to fix your shoelaces for, bud?" sort of move. Moments later, a handful of kids had gathered around to see who could best knot this bemused movie star's laces. If I can only hang onto one memory from this movie, this would rank pretty high on the list of candidates.

jenkins

lol the lowery touch on redford so good

polkablues

That makes me wonder. Does a nine-year-old today comprehend what a Robert Redford is? Does that mean anything to those kids, or is he just another old dude they do scenes with in between watching PewDiePie play Five Nights at Freddie's 3 on Youtube?

Alexandro

when I was 9 I didn't.

modage

Quote from: polkablues on March 26, 2015, 05:01:59 PM
That makes me wonder. Does a nine-year-old today comprehend what a Robert Redford is? Does that mean anything to those kids, or is he just another old dude they do scenes with in between watching PewDiePie play Five Nights at Freddie's 3 on Youtube?
He's Hail Hydra from Captain America 2.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Quote from: modage on March 27, 2015, 02:04:46 PM
Quote from: polkablues on March 26, 2015, 05:01:59 PM
He's Hail Hydra from Captain America 2.

Incidentally, that's also the only way nine-year-olds know who Garry Shandling is.

Ghostboy

I did not know who he was until INDECENT PROPOSAL came out, which was when I was 12, and I remember my mom being disappointed that he was in something so smutty.

polkablues

I remember watching The Sting at a very young age. I remember loving Redford and Newman's repartee, and I remember not being able to follow the plot AT ALL. Then Sneakers came out when I was ten, and my dad took my brother and me to see it in the theater.

But even beyond the actual movies I had seen him in, I was always aware of his legacy, or at least his cultural impact. He was a Movie Star. In some ways he was the archetypal movie star, in a line you could trace from Clark Gable to Cary Grant to James Dean to him. I don't know that the typical child of today has that relationship with the concept of the movie star anymore.

I'm not trying to say that's inherently a good or bad thing -- I'm not telling the kids to get off my lawn quite yet -- I just find it interesting to think about. The media landscape between when we were kids and now has changed by orders of magnitude.