A Ghost Story

Started by Reel, December 01, 2016, 09:23:54 PM

RegularKarate

Screencrush: 'A Ghost Story' Review: A Totally New Kind of Haunted House Movie

Quotepatient viewers will be rewarded, because all of the slow scenes and long takes are part of Lowery's master plan to rewrite the rules that govern haunted house movies, and even the way we think about life, death, and time itself.

RegularKarate

AV CLUB: Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara reunite for an amazing Sundance Ghost Story (A-)

Quotea sneakily ambitious meditation on life after death, the endurance of romantic connection, and the value we place on the spaces we occupy. If that sounds impossibly vague, it's because there's no easy way to even describe this movie without detrimentally demystifying it.

Birth. Movies. Death. review

QuoteWow.

Just Withnail

I really love thinking about what I think this movie will be. It makes me really happy.

Ravi

I'm trying not to read too many details about the film, but every review I've seen is glowing.

Something Spanish

Damn, those reviews really piqued my interest. Hopefully it won't be a year until we are able to see it.

Reel

Yeah, it's great to confirm there's a semblance of a plot and it's not just some wild experiment. That it is in fact "a Haunted House movie" even though it could potentially skirt any and all expectations we've ever had for one! I mean, this guy has been into ghosts for a really long time.

Questions:

Shot on 35?

Can we get a range of where the budget ended up?

Tictacbk

Wow, these reviews! Congrats, Ghostboy!

When's the xixax screening?

Reel

I have a theory that when two movies share a title, the better film gets to keep the glory of it's name while the other fades into obscurity. I remember this movie being incredibly boring when I saw it as a kid, but that's probably because the effects are so dated and it's mostly a group of old men telling stories around the fireplace. Watching the trailer now, I think it deserves a revisit. I do love that Bill Maher Look-a- like, Craig Wasson.

polkablues

The movie was fine, but the book it's based on is one of the best horror novels ever written.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Quote from: Ghostboy on January 17, 2017, 11:58:25 AM
I guarantee that by the time that 8:30am screening rolls around tickets will be available. Plus they always save some for every screening for the Wait List and Day-Of sales.

You underestimated how popular your movie is. BUT, I got very very lucky in that my friend who had a badge was able to snag THE LAST ticket the day before (she wanted to buy more). She gave it to me. Only a small handful of the waitlist people got in.

The movie is lovely. I'm so glad that a movie like this can be so popular, not only in terms of attendance, but also response. It was interesting to be in a room where so many people were discovering this voice (even if they had seen ATBS and PETE'S DRAGON), while for me it felt like a familiar voice (in a good way). A voice that we on this forum have been able to see develop over the past... 15 years?

I don't want to say too much about it, because I regret that I had read the reviews beforehand, and it's best to let the movie surprise. Can't wait for all of y'all to see it and then we can talk more.

One thing I'll say is that I've recently been thinking about how we've reached the limit of how deep a literal/realistic approach to storytelling in film can go. At least for me as a viewer. There've been a bunch of recent movies that have done a great job of being observant and understated and demonstrating all these things that are true about how people behave and how things happen and so on, but... I find that I can't give that much of a shit about it anymore. Meanwhile, movies that engage with symbolism and theme are striking me as able to probe much deeper into its ideas, because of the distillation of its ideas into images and moments. There is so much more feeling in it. I would never say "cinema is dead" but I agree with Scorsese that "images don't mean anything anymore" in the great majority of contemporary cinema, especially when compared to older cinema. Most filmmakers aren't even trying to create new and striking and meaningful images.

My favorite movies of the past few years are incredibly playful with the filmmaking, even when the themes are serious. There is a joy in it. An engagement with the form, and the possibilities. Even though the word "playful" sounds unserious, it's really the only way to be serious.

THE SEVENTH SEAL is playful. PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE is playful. ERASERHEAD is playful. CITIZEN KANE is playful. POINT BLANK is playful. THE LOVE WITCH is playful. THE RED SHOES is playful. A GHOST STORY is playful.

(Also, it was good to see you, David!)

RegularKarate

Yeah, I just watched the trailer and that's some powerful shit.
I really wasn't sure what to think about the premise. I knew David would make a great movie, but I just had no idea what it would be like. If this trailer is any indication, I'm going to love this.

Anyone know what song that is in the trailer off hand?

jenkins

just gonna wish him the best forever and always, which wishing of mine isn't even what'll cause him to do well. the Lowery Touch is real. good for him, good for us.

[i used shazam duh

+Dark Rooms are Daniel Hart, Casey Trela, Bobak Lotfipour, Rachel Ballard ]

wilder

Looks even more beautiful than I'd imagined. July 7th can't come soon enough.

Edit - the poster

Jeremy Blackman

Wow. I am definitely going to love this.  :bravo: