Knight of Cups

Started by MacGuffin, May 28, 2011, 03:26:02 PM

Ghostboy

Quote from: Ravi on September 19, 2011, 01:22:57 PM
Quote from: matt35mm on September 19, 2011, 10:42:52 AM
You can see from some of the pictures that this film is being shot on the ALEXA camera. So Malick has gone digital.

The film he did with Olga Kurylenko was shot on the Red.

Yeah, but hardly any - it was still mostly good ol' 35mm.

Ravi

Quote from: Ghostboy on September 19, 2011, 02:53:17 PM
The film he did with Olga Kurylenko was shot on the Red.

Yeah, but hardly any - it was still mostly good ol' 35mm.
[/quote]

Didn't know that. If any movie is an advertisement for 35mm, its Tree of Life.

I assume Malick is experimenting with different cameras to see what kind of images they produce. The Alexa is a lower resolution camera than 35mm or the Red, so I wonder why he's trying that camera out.

BTW, is it too late to finagle my way onto the crew of this movie? :ponder:

RegularKarate

They were walking all over the place.  There's so much annoying Youtube footage of people spotting Bale and freaking out... then you'd see Malick was shooting the freak-outs too.

Interesting.  I'll bet we never see the footage.

pete

Quote from: Sleepless on September 19, 2011, 11:15:26 AM
I find it hilarious that Bale is so calm and easygoing since this seems to be quite a chaotic and on-the-fly shoot. Given the media's representation of him I wouldn't have thought he'd go for something like that. Whatever this is for, I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

Anyone else think Bale looks like a 90s Tom Cruise in this?

bale did a herzog movie; he's down for stuff.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

O.

Here's something for you gents to genitally froth at. A video of Malick directing Bale:

http://www.twitvid.com/TSXER

THANK ME LATER, S'ALL GOOD. ENJOY IT.
superb

Pubrick

Quote from: O on September 20, 2011, 04:44:47 AM
Here's something for you gents to genitally froth at. A video of Malick directing Bale:

http://www.twitvid.com/TSXER

THANK ME LATER, S'ALL GOOD. ENJOY IT.

do you mean exactly the same video posted on the previous page that everyone has been commenting on nonstop for the last few days?

O my..
under the paving stones.

O.

look man i don't have time to READ things, i'm here for glory
superb

Sleepless

Exactly. That's almost as bad as having to hit a link to another website. Who has the time for that?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

Quote from: O on September 20, 2011, 11:39:22 AM
look man i don't have time to READ things, i'm here for glory

Go for the glory, Huck.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

AFM: FilmNation Unveils Back To Back Terrence Malick Films 'Lawless' And 'Knight Of Cups,' With Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale And Cate Blanchett
via Deadline

(Los Angeles, CA) November 2, 2011 – FilmNation Entertainment is continuing their relationship with acclaimed director Terrence Malick (The Tree of Life, The Thin Red Line) and handling international sales and distribution on his next two films. LAWLESS will star Ryan Gosling (Drive, The Ides of March) and boasts a supporting cast that includes Academy Award Winners Christian Bale (The Dark Knight, The Flowers of War), Cate Blanchett (The Hobbit, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) plus Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network) and Haley Bennett (Marley & Me, The Haunting of Molly Hartley).

The second film, KNIGHT OF CUPS, will star Christian Bale with a supporting cast including Cate Blanchett and Isabel Lucas (Immortals, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen). Both films are currently in pre-production and will shoot back-to-back in 2012. Sarah Green (Untitled Terrence Malick Project, The Tree of Life, The New World, Take Shelter, Mud) and Nicolas Gonda (Untitled Terrence Malick Project, The Tree of Life, The New World) will serve as the producers on both films with FilmNation Entertainment handling international sales during this week's AFM.

Glen Basner, CEO of FilmNation Entertainment commented: "FilmNation couldn't be happier to continue to act as Terrence's international sales agency. Terrence is a brilliant filmmaker and an enormous draw for talent and filmmakers alike. We look forward to robust sales at AFM on both of these films."

"Glen Basner and the entire FilmNation team continue to be excellent partners. We are thrilled to be working with them again to bring these extraordinary projects to audiences around the world", commented producers Sarah Green and Nicolas Gonda.

CAA will represent domestic rights to both films.

FilmNation Entertainment has secured sales for all territories on Malick's next currently untitled film starring Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Javier Bardem and Rachel Weisz. The following territories and respective distributors have been confirmed: Studio Canal UK in the United Kingdom; Roadshow Films in Australia/New Zealand; VVS Films in Canada, Ster Kinekor in South Africa; West in CIS; Metropolitan Film in France, Rai in Italy; Vertigo Films in Spain; Studio Canal Germany in Germany; Odeon in Greece/Cyprus; Sam Films in Iceland; A-Film in Benelux; LEV Cinemas in Israel; Italia Film International in Middle East; Lusomundo Audiovisuais in Portugal; Nordisk Film in Scandinavia; Elite Film in Switzerland; Kalinos Filmcilik in Turkey; Eastern European Acquisition Pool in Bulgaria, Czech/Slovak, Hungary, Poland and Romania; Cinemania Group is Ex-Yugoslavia; Sun Distribution Group in Latin America; HGC in China; PT Amero in Indonesia; Studio Solution Group in Taiwan and IPA in Thailand.

In addition, FilmNation Entertainment is handling international sales for the following titles at AFM: The Comedian starring Robert De Niro and Kristen Wiig and to be directed by Sean Penn; untitled Snow White project with Lily Collins and Julia Roberts; Jeff Nichols' Mud starring Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon; Oren Peli's untitled project; Zhang Yimou's epic The Flowers of War; Steven Soderbergh's Magic Mike starring Channing Tatum and Alex Pettyfer; Wettest County starring Shia LaBeouf; Gambit starring Colin Firth and Cameron Diaz; Looper starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt; Crush starring Lucas Till; Under the Skin with Scarlett Johannson; and Midnight's Children.

Source

Sleepless

It's so weird that whenever I see this thread under "unread posts" I roll my eyes and think "Another one?"
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Just Withnail

WAIT. WAIT WAIT WAIT.

At the ever accelerating rate these movies keep coming, Malick seems to be spiraling towards some zero-point. They're so close now, these two even stick together, with Bale and Blanchett. Maybe he's heading towards a never-ending movie, that circle in the middle.

MacGuffin

Natalie Portman Sets First Post-Oscar Roles, Back To Back Terrence Malick Films
Source: Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Natalie Portman has committed to her first two movie roles since winning the Best Actress Oscar for Black Swan and taking maternity leave. Portman is joining the casts of the Terrence Malick films Knight Of The Cups, and Lawless. Portman will join Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett and Isabel Lucas in Knight of the Cups, which shoots this summer. She will follow by starring with Ryan Gosling, Bale, Blanchett, Rooney Mara and Haley Bennett in Lawless, the film Malick shoots in the fall. It will be Portman's first time working with Malick, whose The Tree of Life won the Palme d'Or at Cannes and is nominated for Best Picture and Best Director Oscars.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

malkovich

I'm waiting for Malick to cast someone I'm just mehh about but I'm not quite sure that'll happen...

MacGuffin

Official Logline For Terrence Malick's 'Lawless' Reveals Tale Of "Sexual Obsession And Betrayal"
Source: Playlist

It looks like a layer from Terrence Malick's otherwise mysterious "Lawless" has been peeled back. The film, one of two the director will shoot this year, has been working under a veil of secrecy thus far, but it looks like that pre-production work last fall at the Austin City Limits music festival was a good practice round for the upcoming film. And a new logline for the film reveals another interesting thematic turn for the helmer.

Production company FilmNation has a logline for the film that describes the plot as following "two intersecting love triangles. It is a story of sexual obsession and betrayal set against the music scene in Austin, Texas." And well, that's all we have for now, but it's the biggest detail yet about the film that is set to star a great cast including Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Natalie Portman, Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara and Haley Bennett. And Malick fans might want to snap up some passes for this year's Austin City Limits fest, as we're guessing the director will be back.

Before the end of last year, Mara revealed that the film wouldn't be shooting until September ("Knight Of Cups" is slated to shoot first this summer). Given that we now know the film will be playing out against the backdrop of the music scene in Austin, we wouldn't be surprised if the production schedules add some additional time to hit the festival again when it runs from October 12-14.

Either way, it's an interesting revelation about the film which finds Malick moving yet again in another bold new direction. The official word on "Knight Of Cups" is that it will be a "separate narrative" from "Lawless" but given the casting crossover between both films (Bale, Blancett and Portman feature in both films, which seems like at least one love triangle), we wonder...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks