Favourite commentaries

Started by phil marlowe, January 29, 2003, 12:57:07 PM

phil marlowe

As i am fairly new to the medium of DVD i have only heard few witch was for Boogie Nights, American Beauty, The Talented Mr. Ripley and Dancer in the Dark. The first three were very good but the von Trier one had a bit of that annoing inside stuff, which is not to be understood.

I'm just curious about witch ones are really great, and which ones are to be avoided.

Cecil

sex lies, limey, in the company of men, maniac... just to name a few

Rudie Obias

i like the CHASING AMY, BOOGIE NIGHTS and TAPE commentary tracks.  also any kevin smith commentary tracks cuz he's just too funny.

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

MacGuffin

Cameron Crowe and his mom on the "Almost Famous: Bootleg Edition" and Crowe, Ione Skye and John Cusack on "Say Anything..." (commentary starts 30 min. before they start the movie)
Roger Ebert on "Citizen Kane" and "Dark City"
Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn on "Swingers" and "Made"
Any of the "Fight Club" tracks
Soderberg and Scott Frank on "Out Of Sight"
Tarantino on "True Romance"
Atom Egoyan and Russell Banks on "Sweet Hereafter"
Coppola and Walter Murch on "The Conversation" and Coppola on all three "Godfather" films
Cast and crew on any of the "Evil Dead" films
Spinal Tap (in character) on "This Is Spinal Tap"
The Wachowski Bros. and sex consultant Susie Bright on "Bound"

Avoid: "The Matrix" - boring FX talk and Carrie Anne Moss stays silent for most of the film
"Jerry Maguire" - Only interesting when Crowe talks
Any Rob Reiner tracks - looooong pauses
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

I enjoyed the Superman Commentary.

It's like listening to your sweet old grandpa tell stories about his favorite job.

BonBon85

I've heard two different ones for Clerks. It teaches you a lot about filmmaking on a budget. The one with the whole cast and crew is funny too. Before I heard it I hadn't known that yes, Jason Mewes is just like his character(he passes out and wakes up every half an hour to make some slurred remarks).

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffin

Is this only on the Criterion or is it on the one MGM put out as well?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Xixax

I really enjoyed Richard Kelly's Donnie Darko commentary.

It was full of great things of interest to wannabe filmmakers regarding how he set up certain shots and techniques he used. More importantly, it explained the movie in greater detail. After the commentary, the movie becomes much, much clearer.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Duck Sauce

most soderburgh ones are good.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: MacGuffin

Is this only on the Criterion or is it on the one MGM put out as well?

The MGM release only has this commentary track; made for this release specifically.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

life_boy

Great Commentaries
American Beauty with Sam Mendes and Alan Ball
Boogie Nights with Paul Thomas Anderson
Dark City with Roger Ebert (incredible!)
The Godfather Trilogy with Francis Ford Coppola
Hard Eight with Paul Thomas Anderson
Wall Street with Oliver Stone

Hilarious Commentaries
Blood Simple with Kenneth Loring
Out of Sight with Steven Soderbergh and Scott Frank

Disappointing Commentaries
Best in Show with Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy
Blow with Ted Demme and George Jung
Contact with Jodie Foster and the one with Robert Zemeckis and Steve Starkey
Jerry Maguire with the Cast and Cameron Crowe

sphinx

Quote from: life_boyContact with Jodie Foster

there was this one genius moment in the contact commentary where jodie foster starts talking about ghostbusters.  really, it's worth renting the movie just to see that part of the commentary.

BonBon85

In the disappointing category I'd like to add all of Tim Burton's. You watch them and he'll go for about twenty minutes without saying anything so you get into watching the movie without it and suddenly he'll say "he has a silent movie quality" and ruin a moment you're really into. I guess he's just shy.

Tommy Both

Quote from: rudieobi like the TAPE commentary

did TAPE have a commentary?!
didn't know that... guess I'm gonna buy it then..!

Derek

The Goonies carries a video commenary of richard donner and the kids watching the movie as they talk. It's pretty hilarious, Corey Feldman is at his self-centric best, and Sean Astin mysteriously leaves halfway through the movie. Probably due to Corey Feldman.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.