Kinji Fukasaku

Started by analogzombie, August 10, 2004, 11:07:00 PM

analogzombie

It seems Homevision is going nuts with Fukasaku films over the next couple months. With the stateside release of Graveyard of Honor and The Yakuza Papers, could a US dvd of Battle Royale be far behind?

The Yakuza Papers box set available 10/19

Graveyard of Honor & Street Mobster available 9/7

out now
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

rustinglass

I love batlle royale! only the first one.
tarantino dedicated kill bill to his memory, but this dedication is only in the japanese cut.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

mutinyco

He has the best last name. If you look at it phonetically.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: mutinycoHe has the best last name. If you look at it phonetically.
I don't get it. :(
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: ranemaka13
Quote from: mutinycoHe has the best last name. If you look at it phonetically.
I don't get it. :(

His last name sounds cool.
Si

analogzombie

I just watched 'Shogun's Samurai: the Yagyu Conspiracy' with Sonny Chiba and Toshiro Mifune which Fukusaku directed in 1978.

It was great. This film features Sonny Chiba as Yagyu Jubei, the legendary samurai who is also featured in Samurai Showdown and tons of other places..

analogzombie

the Yakuza Papers Box Set has been pushed back to the end of december. Apparrently for packing issues.

analogzombie

FUKASAKU CRAZY!!

The Yakuza Papers Box Set is set for a Dec. 14 release

Fall Guy and Sympathy for the Underdog are confirmed for HVe's release on 2/1/05.

Fall Guy:
Winner of five awards from the Japanese Academy, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Actress, internationally acclaimed director Kinji Fukasaku's The Fall Guy is a moving love story and a heartfelt valentine to the movies. Morio Kazama stars as Ginshiro, a vain and selfish actor whose stardom is threatened by rising star Tachibana (Daijiro Harada).In a desperate bid to burnish his image, Ginshiro compels a devoted member of his entourage, Yasu (Mitsuro Hirata), to marry Ginshiro's pregnant mistress, Konatsu (Keiko Matsuzaka). To support his new wife, the devoted Yasu becomes a stunt man, performing increasingly dangerous stunts. Konatsu is torn between Yasu and Ginshiro, who compels his loyal disciple to perform a death-defying stunt that could save the film and Ginshiro's career.

Sympathy for the Underdog:
From Kinji Fukasaku (Battles Without Honor & Humanity) comes this pivotal early crime drama in the celebrated career of the director who changed the face of Japanese action cinema. Stylish and hard-boiled, Sympathy for the Underdog stars Koji Tsuruta, one of Japan's seminal figures in the Yakuza genre, as Gunji, an aging Yakuza who is released from prison after ten years. Gunji lives by a code of honor that has no place among Tokyo's modern corporate gangs. He gets a new lease on life by reforming his former gang and taking over the whiskey trade on the island of Okinawa. But he is forced to make a final, fateful, bloody stand against the mainland gang that sent him to prison.

analogzombie

The Yakuza Papers box set is finally out and it's awesome. I had originally planned to watch one film per day until I finished out the series but I got so enthralled by the complex serpentine plot and great characters that I finished it in one sitting on sunday.

Weak2ndAct

I got this too, albeit a little fucked up thanks to UPS and Amazon's brillant packing.  Grrr....

I'm very excited, will post thoughts soon.

analogzombie

word has it that HVe will release Kinji Fukasaku's 1972 film "Under the Flag of the Rising Sun" sometime in spring 2005:

(from allmovieguide)
The quest of a war-widow for the truth about her husband's death during World War II serves as the backbone for this film, which portrays the Japanese militarism of that time and the attitudes which gave rise to it. Though the government labelled her husband as a deserter, his widow does not believe it, and every day she makes a trip to the war reparations office until she finally tracks down four men who knew her husband in his last days. They tell a harrowing story of the breakdown of humanity at the close of the war.

analogzombie

A mixed bag for the cover art of the 2/1/05 HVe Fukasaku releaes:

Chrisdarko

Man this Week I watched If you were young: Rage Battle royale and The Last 4 yakuza papers Fukasaku is great I really liked all of them.

I have a question on the bonus disc of the yakuza papers his biographer talked about the book that he had written. Does any one know the title and if there is an english translation? Thanks

analogzombie

Quote from: Chrisdarko

I have a question on the bonus disc of the yakuza papers his biographer talked about the book that he had written. Does any one know the title and if there is an english translation? Thanks

I'm not sure which book it is, but there is a list of books about Fukasaku and Battel Royale here:
http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/merchandise/br2/books.html

Chrisdarko

Thanks.

HAve You seen BR2 yet? ifso Is it any good?