What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Alethia

RegularKarate

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Finally got my hands on Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Kal

I'm reading the new Al Franken book called 'Lies and the lying liars who tell them"... very good and funny...

The other day I went to B&N and bought a bunch of movie scripts and 'how to' film books... some of them really interesting

the scripts... magnolia, boogie nights, the matrix, pulp fiction, and a couple of foreign films.... i have some more but cant remember right now cause i'm in argentina

Gold Trumpet

"The Best American Essays of 2003: The Best American Series" and specifically, I am reading right now Susan Sontag's essay Looking at War. Good stuff.

©brad

i just finished this;

the novel, that is, and i loved it. i had mixed (overal negative) reactions towards the film itself, but after reading the novel i'd like to take a second look at it.

it brings up an interesting thing about how u change, and more specicially, how ur tastes change over time. i saw this film maybe, well, whenver it was out in the theaters-- over a year ago? and at the time i thought it was overstylized trite w/ muddled motives. now i'm interested in revisiting it to see if i feel the same way. it could just be that avary's adaptation doesn't compare to the novel. i dunno.

woody allen was quoted as to hating 2001 when it came out, only years later to embrace the film as a masterpiece. so i guess the question is-- what films/books did u used to hate but have come to enjoy or even really luv over time?

Pwaybloe

One of my favorite novels... although when I heard it was going to be filmed, I knew it would be difficult.  I think you and others who have read the book know what I mean.  Very ambiguous.

Avary did a good job, but I understood those who saw the movie wouldn't like it nearly as much as fans of the book.

Sigur Rós

godardian

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet"The Best American Essays of 2003: The Best American Series" and specifically, I am reading right now Susan Sontag's essay Looking at War. Good stuff.

Have you ever read her essay, "A Century of Cinema"? One of America's finest essayists, particularly on cultural issues.

Me:

...particularly for Haynes's introductory essay, which I can't wait to read. I wish he'd do more non-script writing, as he's always erudite and interesting.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gsus4

no
lo
go

e
see
ry
der
ray
g
eng
bul
z

ch
ommmmmmmm
skiiiiiiiii

yumyumyuymyumyumyuymuymymyumy
(played 3X0013)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Gsus4 (maverick)no
lo
go

e
see
ry
der
ray
g
eng
bul
z

ch
ommmmmmmm
skiiiiiiiii

yumyumyuymyumyumyuymuymymyumy

Mmm...Noam Chomsky.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Oh my gosh....I love that book!!  If you need any proof that Bruce Campbell rules, look no farther than this book.  The guy is hilarious  :)

RegularKarate

I liked the first half better than the second, but it was enjoyable.

What I really liked about it was that you can tell that he actually wrote it and didn't hire someone to write it for him under his name.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GloriaOh my gosh....I love that book!!  If you need any proof that Bruce Campbell rules, look no farther than this book.  The guy is hilarious  :)

I'm into Chapter 3, and it is very funny so far.

Unfortunately, my copy is not autographed.  :yabbse-wink:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks