What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

godardian

Gamblor, I've long considered that book essential reading, ever since it was first published a couple years ago. Problem is, I haven't got to read it yet. :-( At least now it's out in paperback, no?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gloria

I'm currently tinkering through 'Salem's Lot.  I'm over halfway through it and so far it is just so/so.

Gamblour.

Quote from: godardianGamblor, I've long considered that book essential reading, ever since it was first published a couple years ago. Problem is, I haven't got to read it yet. :-( At least now it's out in paperback, no?

Yup, it's paperback now. I just happened upon it at Barnes and Noble for about $16. I totally recommend it just for the Coen interview, the Kevin Smith one is good, proves he's actually down-to-earth. Funny how I came to buy the book:

I saw that Sneakers was rereleased on DVD with a directors commentary, I fucking love that movie, but have it already. So, for me, it was 15 bucks for Sneakers or 16 bucks for the book. I chose the book because I felt it would have more educational value, even though the commentary might've been good, it was a tough choice.
WWPTAD?

Sigur Rós

Newtron

Quote from: GloriaI'm currently tinkering through 'Salem's Lot.  I'm over halfway through it and so far it is just so/so.
Give up. It only gets soer.

Just Withnail

I'm nearly halfway through, and even though it's hilarious at times, there a moments where I just want to start something else. But by God, I'll finish this bastad!

Redlum

Don Quioxte! Man, thats a beast of a book, I admire your commitment to it. I'm too scared to pick it up from the shelf.

Just finished the great 'Great Gatsby' and about to start:
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ernie

I've been trouble keeping up with my voluntary reading with school in full bloom yet again. I still haven't finished "Sick Puppy" (by Carl Hiaasen) which I'm pretty sure I mentioned earlier in this thread. I neglected it over the summer cause of two big assignments for an AP class and an Honors class. I try to get a page or two in every once in awhile.

I just finished "Quentin Tarantino Interviews"...probably the fastest reading I've ever done. It was all in the hype of Kill Bill.

I'm about to finish "Scorsese on Scorsese", I'm looking to pick up "Stanley Kubrick Interviews" and "Burton on Burton" sometime soon.

I want to buy "Geek Love" and "Truck" by Katherine Dunn (I think that's her name) ASAP...those sound like fucking great books that I would really enjoy and I really don't want to mess around looking for them at a library. I heard Tim Burton is interested in adapting the former someday...that would be cool. I'm also looking for a book on directing actors. Not directing in general but specifically the work down with the actors. Also, I might look for a new screenwriting book. The last one I picked up is the one Mac's reading which I fucking hated with a passion. I almost set the book down when he was bitching about montages. I hate that guy. Before that I had "The Screewriter's Bible" which had some good stuff on it but it was too McKee-esque for me...lots of formulaic approaches, lots of formats. But it wasn't all bad...I got some good stuff out of it. But I haven't had the best luck with film writing books, I wanna get a really great one. That "character driven approach" one sounds kinda cool, I'll have to look into that.

chinaski40

i have been reading a lot of chuck buckowski and henry miller....but, if anyone has read these two....where do i go from here??  i need a good book to read on the level of these guys....

godardian

Quote from: chinaski40i have been reading a lot of chuck buckowski and henry miller....but, if anyone has read these two....where do i go from here??  i need a good book to read on the level of these guys....

Denis Johnson. The Story of O.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

molly

I tried to read "Tropic of Cancer", but gave up at page 75. Depressing. Couldn't force myself to go any further. You?

chinaski40

i enjoyed "tropic of capricorn" more, but i finished all of 'cancer', thought it was funny actually.  i like his later books and essays; he was sort of a modern day thoreau, or at least tried to be.

chinaski40

godardian,
(sorry, i don't know how to quote...do i just hit quote button and paste what you last said??)
anyway, what is 'The Story of O' about?  I know I've heard of it.

MacGuffin

Quote from: chinaski40(sorry, i don't know how to quote...do i just hit quote button and paste what you last said??)

Click the 'Quote' button , on the right side of the page, of his post. His words will come up automatically.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: chinaski40godardian,
(sorry, i don't know how to quote...do i just hit quote button and paste what you last said??)
anyway, what is 'The Story of O' about?  I know I've heard of it.

Quote automatically quotes.

Story of O is a bit of transgressive literary erotica which, in my opinion, is a lot more powerful on a sexual/metaphorical level than Henry Miller's work. It was published under the pseudonym "Pauline Reage" in France in, I believe, the 1950s. Nobody has ever discovered who the real author is.

You might also try Georges Bataille, also superior to Miller.