David Gordon Green

Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2003, 10:50:11 AM

socketlevel

i found george washington to be hilarious, and all the real girls as well. both have "comedic elements"
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Manson, Wood to star in slasher pic
Pressman and Green behind 'Splatter Sisters'
Source: Variety

Veteran producer Edward R. Pressman and filmmaker David Gordon Green are teaming to produce Adam Bhala Lough's retro slasher film "Splatter Sisters," with Marilyn Manson and Evan Rachel Wood attached to star.

Film, penned by Lough, is the first in a planned franchise and is a sexploitation-serial-killer-slasher-road-movie circa 1989.

Lough ("Bomb the System") reckons "Splatter Sisters" could create a subgenre, which he calls "Skinemax Cinema," based on the direct-to-cable movies of his childhood.

Green ("Pineapple Express," "Your Highness") said while Lough's film is inspired by the horror classics of the 1980s, it has a fresh spin that raises the bar.

"This is a role Marilyn Manson was born to play, and with Evan Rachel Wood bringing dramatic gravity to the ensemble, I have no doubt this will take the horror genre to a new level," Green said.

"Splatter Sisters" was announced in Cannes. Pressman is at the fest for the world preem of 20th Century Fox's "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps." He is one of the producers of helmer Oliver Stone's sequel.

"Lough's unique talent and energy will make 'Splatter Sisters' a very special and markedly commercial film," Pressman said. "I've always been attracted to smart movies about killers made by directors with a real vision,"

Wood last starred on the bigscreen in Woody Allen's "Whatever Works," which was released in 2009.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Robyn

Oh, I just saw All the Real Girls and loved it. It was so inspiring, couse I've been written on a feature film script for about six months now and I could relate so much to David's vision and what he was trying to do with it. Not that I can tell a story or write as good as him, but yeah ... I don't know. It's hard to write in English, so it will probably just come out in the wrong way. It was just very inspiring in a young filmmaker kinda way. You could tell that he was young and ambitious when he did it.

Robyn

Oh btw, do somebody know where I can find the script for it?

MacGuffin

'Curb' Star J.B. Smoove and Max Records Join David Gordon Green's 'The Sitter'
Source: The Playlist

One of the best performances by a kid we've seen in recent years was the brilliantly-named Max Records in Spike Jonze's outstanding "Where The Wild Things Are" —totally unforced, natural and feral. So, really, we couldn't be happier that Records has landed another role, in a project helmed by a director with a track record in getting excellent performance from children. Records, and relative unknown Kevin Hernandez, who'll be seen in Mel Gibson vehicle "How I Spent My Summer Vacation," if it ever sees the light of day, have joined the already-cast Landry Bender as the three children that Jonah Hill has to look after in David Gordon Green's currently-filming comedy "The Sitter." Hernandez will presumably play Rodrigo, a semi-psychotic, destructive 10-year-old Latino kid, while Records will be Slater, the eldest of the kids, a neurotic 13-year-old (man, he's perfectly cast in the role) and Landry is Blithe, an 8-year-old obsessed with Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian. Ari Graynor ("Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist") was already in the cast, as Hill's girlfriend, and there's another new addition in the shape of J.B. Smoove, the stand-up turned actor best known for his role as Leon Black in "Curb Your Enthusiasm." Smoove will play one of a pair of drug dealers in pursuit of Hill (Joaquin Phoenix was reportedly offered the other, although as far as we're aware, the role hasn't been cast yet). It's all shaping up to be one of the more promising comedies of next year, particularly with Hill having shown new depths in"Cyrus," and with Records coming on board. The film will be released on July 15 next year, as neat counter-programming to the final "Harry Potter" movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Comedy Central Nears Pilot Order For Comedy From Director David Gordon Green
BY NELLIE ANDREEVA | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Comedy Central is finalizing a deal for a pilot order to Black Jack. The single-camera comedy, co-written and to be directed by Pineapple Express helmer David Gordon Green, hails from Rough House, Green's production company with Danny McBride, Jody Hill and Matt Reilly. Black Jack, which Green co-wrote with Michael Starrbury, centers on Black Jack who, after 20 years as the most kick-ass special ops agent the US government has had on its payroll, finally goes too far and suffers being de-commissioned. He's sent home to begin the most treacherous mission he's ever faced -normal life. The order is expected to be cast-contingent, with the pilot going to production if the network finds the right actor for the lead. Green, Starrbury, McBride, Hill and Reilly are exec producing. CAA-repped Green most recently created the upcoming MTV animated series Good Vibes and helmed feature comedy Your Highness starring McBride, Natalie Portman, James Franco and Zooey Deschanel, which opens on April 8. Green also serves as consulting producer/director on McBride's HBO comedy series Eastbound & Down. Black Jack is the latest pilot order by Comedy Central, which recently greenlighted Playing with Guns, starring Danny Masterson and Ethan Suplee, Waiting..., based on the 2005 indie, an untitled comedy from comedian Matt Braunger and writer Brent Forrester and an animated pilot from production company ShadowMachine.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

David Gordon Green to direct Columbia's 'Q'
Matt Tolmach producing bigscreen adaptation of novel
Source: Variety

Columbia Pictures is in final discussions to acquire feature film rights to Evan Mandery's novel "Q" for writer/director David Gordon Green and producer Matt Tolmach.

Story finds a man visited by a future version of himself, who tells him not to marry the love of his life. He agrees and spends the rest of his life trying to undo that fateful choice and find the only woman he ever loved.

Mandery's manager Pouya Shahbazian will produce the pic with Tolmach.

HarperCollins published the novel, which was discovered by Matt Tolmach Prods. execs Robert Kessel and Kate Checci, who will also work on developing the project.

Columbia Pictures exec Andrea Giannetti will oversee "Q" for the studio along with Hannah Minghella.

Tolmach and Green previously collaborated on Sony's comedy Pineapple Express.

Skeleton FilmWorks

analogzombie

Does anyone know when/why/how DGG switched from his drama background to semi-raunchy comedies? It just kind of baffles me.

Don't get me wrong, I know there is comedy in All the Real Girls, I just thought that was mostly Danny McBride's input. I also loved East Bound and Down, but it still amazes me that the guy that made Undertow and George Washington is now making The Sitter and Your Highness. Did he just get tired of being talented and broke and decide to make some fun movies with people he likes working with?

Any info on interviews that shed light on this professional transition would be appreciated.

On a related note, does this leave only PTA from that 90's wunderkind era that has remained a serious filmmaker? Even Aronofsky has been linked to a Robocop remake.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

O.

Quote from: analogzombie on November 15, 2011, 07:20:25 PM
Does anyone know when/why/how DGG switched from his drama background to semi-raunchy comedies? It just kind of baffles me.

Don't get me wrong, I know there is comedy in All the Real Girls, I just thought that was mostly Danny McBride's input. I also loved East Bound and Down, but it still amazes me that the guy that made Undertow and George Washington is now making The Sitter and Your Highness. Did he just get tired of being talented and broke and decide to make some fun movies with people he likes working with?

Any info on interviews that shed light on this professional transition would be appreciated.

On a related note, does this leave only PTA from that 90's wunderkind era that has remained a serious filmmaker? Even Aronofsky has been linked to a Robocop remake.

More 'serious' filmmakers get less work, which means more sitting around idly. I think it was just a matter of him enjoying being on set goofing around making silly movies that made money and of course, made him money, rather than making low-budgets dramas that got relatively little attention. I don't blame him but it does boggle the mind how huge of a turn it was.
superb

pete

he got really ambitious as soon as he was noticed. He's also been talking about doing genre pictures forever now.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: analogzombie on November 15, 2011, 07:20:25 PM

have you seen the movies he's been making?

to paraphrase Afroman:

"i was gonna be a great director, but then i got high.."
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Sounds like he switched seats with Kevin Smith.

MacGuffin

David Gordon Green Directing 'Suspiria' for Crime Scene Pictures
Wild Bunch will launch the project -- an update of Dario Argento's 1977 Italian horror film -- to foreign buyers at the Cannes film market next month.

Adding another title to its slate, financing and production company Crime Scene Pictures has set David Gordon Green to direct horror pic Suspiria.

Crime Scene's Adam Ripp and Rob Paris are partnering with producers Francesco Melzi d'Eril from Memo Films and Luca Guadagnino from First Sun on the project, which Wild Bunch will introduce to foreign buyers at the Cannes film market next month.

Green wrote the adapted script -- based on Dario Argento's film of the same name -- with Chris Gebert and is set to begin shooting in September. Casting is underway.

Suspiria centers around Suzie, an ambitious and bright American student who arrives abroad to study at a world-famous school. She begins to suspect that the academy may be a front for a more menacing orginization when the once-quiet campus is rocked by a brutal murder and several other cruel and strange homicides.

"We love the style and energy of the original film -- and David's script brilliantly updates the world, presenting a rare opportunity to create an elegant, classic horror film," Ripp and Paris said.

Rizal Risjad, Silvia Fendi and Philip Elway will executive produce, while Lisa Muskat will co-produce.
Crime Scene is currently in pre-production on Kate Hudson action-thriller Everly, which Joe Lynch is directing from a Black Script list by Yale Hannon.

First Sun produced the Golden Globe-nominated I Am Love, starring Tilda Swinton and the upcoming The Landlords.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Robyn

Looking forward to this. Love Suspiria and a remake could be good.

MacGuffin

'Orphan' Star Isabelle Fuhrman To Lead David Gordon Green's 'Suspiria' Remake
Source: Playlist

We're about to move towards yet another act of David Gordon Green's career. The filmmaker started off with "George Washington," "All The Real Girls" and "Undertow" as a possible heir to Terrence Malick's meditative indie throne, but took a severe left-turn about five years back into abrasive stoner comedy, a shift which had both its successes ("Pineapple Express," "Eastbound & Down") and failures ("Your Highness," "The Sitter"). But for now, it seems, the director is about to try something new, and move into the horror world for his long-gestating remake of Dario Argento's horror classic "Suspiria."

And on the back of recent news that the film was financed, and moving towards a shoot in September, it looks like the director has his lead. Back in the day, the project was intended to star Natalie Portman, but between her Oscar victory for the similarly-themed "Black Swan" and her new motherhood, the actress fell out of the film, but according to Variety, she's being replaced by an actress half her age: namely 15-year-old Isabelle Fuhrman.

The actress broke out with an astonishing performance as the title role in the batshit-crazy future-cult-classic "Orphan," and has since cropped up in last year's indie "Salvation Boulevard," with Greg Kinnear and Pierce Brosnan, and, more notably, as one of the murderous teens in the mega-smash "The Hunger Games," in which she played Clove. The actress recently wrapped a role in M. Night Shyamalan's "After Earth," opposite Will and Jaden Smith, but this certainly marks her biggest role to date.

Assuming the remake, which Green has written with his long-time sound mixer Chris Gebart, doesn't stray too far from the source material, the actress would play Suzy Banyon, an American ballet student who transfers to a school in Italy, only to discover it's run by a group of witches. It's an interesting move for Gordon Green to cast the part so much younger (original star Jessica Harper was 28 when she took on the part), but it makes sense, and Fuhrmann has certainly proven her form in earlier work. Filming will get underway in September, so we should see this towards the tail end of 2013.

Skeleton FilmWorks