Downsizing

Started by wilder, September 12, 2017, 11:35:26 AM

wilder

When scientists discover how to shrink humans to five inches tall as a solution to over-population, Paul (Matt Damon) and his wife Audrey (Kristen Wiig) decide to abandon their stressed lives in order to get small and move to a new downsized community — a choice that triggers life-changing adventures.

Directed by Alexander Payne
Written by Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor
Starring Matt Damon, Laura Dern, Christoph Waltz and Kristen Wiig
Release Date - December 22, 2017

tpfkabi

This film reminded me of the kind of films Charlie Kaufman and Michel Gondry were making 10 years ago. They usually had an odd sci-fi idea, but really they were still movies about normal things like love, etc. I can see why a lot of people didn't like it, but at the same time I can enjoy the ideas it brings forward. People are expecting an all out Honey I Shrunk the Kids comedy, but it is really more of a thought-provoking, poignant movie, though there are some funny bits.

I don't expect it to be the favorite movie of the year for anybody, but I'm really surprised that so many seemed to just write it off due to the negative reviews.

SPOILERS

Most of the trailer is from about the 1/3rd to 1/2 way through. There is a shift and one character that does not even speak in the trailer above, talks more than anybody. Whether or not you will like it will probably depend on if you go along with the shift and that character or not.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Something Spanish

This dealt with similar themes of societal responsibilities as The Square, only much better. I found aforementioned shift to take the film in an interesting direction and it's grown a lot on me since seeing it last night.

wilberfan

I wonder if this film would have worked better for me with a more consistent tone?  (This from the guy that loves the film with one one of the biggest tonal-shifts in filmdom.)

Something Spanish

Watched this again on Blu. For a movie with such lofty ambitions, including discovering purpose in life, improving financial status, controlling earth's population, environmental/societal responsibilities, not to mention the whole shrinking gimmick, Payne manages to hold it all together nicely in a running time that is not nearly long enough for all the material he and Jim Taylor crammed into the script. A lot happens in the movie, it's constantly turning and I think that's what turned a lot of people off. Not that it didn't have a consistent tone, its tone is very much like Sideways or About Schmidt, a melancholy comedy, albeit with a fantasy element, rather it didn't have a consistent supporting cast. (SPOILERS) No one sticks around for a long time until Hong Chau shows up more than halfway through, taking the story where it was supposed to go all along.

Matt Damon is disappointed in his life, leaving med school prematurely to care for his sick mother, and is looking for something more than his current career can afford him, both monetarily and spiritually. What that something is, he does not know. Preparing an injection, he tells his mom after she complaints about her constant pains that a lot of people are in pain, in more ways than she can imagine. My peeve is the third act, feeling forced. If Payne had additional time, maybe 10-15 minutes more, the third act, the traditional Payne road trip, where they go to the original small colony, wouldn't feel as forced and awkward. Under Waltz's auspices, Damon is given the opportunity to visit the original colony in Norway, the trip acting as guise to free him from Chau's clutch, but it's just a murky excuse to get them there.