Television?

Started by Weak2ndAct, November 01, 2003, 05:28:34 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: MacGuffinOne new forum proposal at a time. We're still working on the Foreign Film one.

How long does it take to "work on" a new forum?  Just go to admin and add the forum!  :)

I think everything on TV sucks, except Queer Eye, The OC, and Lakers Basketball...

godardian

I absolutely love TV. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I just got TiVo and am currently working my way through Roseanne reruns.

Of course, most TV is stupid junk- I despise both the people behind those "reality" shows and the people who claw their way onto them- but the same could be said for most other media. If you pick and choose, TV has some great stuff to offer, much of it better than its cinematic equivalent (i.e., almost no theatrical romantic comedy comes even close to being as smart or funny as  Sex and the City can be).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Weak2ndActPerhaps this is not appropriate for the board (it is for 'cinephiles and those who make movies'), and perhaps this has already been suggested before, but I'd like to see a forum dedicated to TV.  Sure, there's a lot of shit on, but there are a few shows that I adore (almost anything on HBO, 24, The Shield, Nip/Tuck, etc.) and think they're worthy of discussion.  Reality shows aside, there are some interesting, challenging, and very film-like programs out there-- just few and far between.  Just a thought.

After much deliberation, your wish is granted.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

as i mentioned in the BoB thread, i've taken to dvds of entire series instead of watching actual tv because i can watch it when i want to, and from the beginning (since i dont keep up with anything regularly on tv right now).  just finished Twin Peaks, now on Band of Brothers, next i'm going to watch Taken, and then Freaks and Geeks.  exciting times.  

actually a few years ago in college i didnt have cable so i didnt watch any tv for a year or two and then when i got tv again and moved in with my girlfriend we started watching tv EVERY NIGHT and got hooked on just about a show for every night of the week.  it was ridiculous.  we watched Ally McBeal, Boston Public, Undeclared, That 70's Show.  most of them were cancelled or got bad or got bad and then were cancelled, so we grew out of that.  but it was really weird going from polar opposites for awhile.  tv is good sometimes, but often not.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

molly

Have you seen british sitcom You Rang, Milord? It quite old, but i always admired the writers, they made an excellent job.

Weak2ndAct

Wow, I just noticed this new forum.  Cool beans.

Henry Hill

best shows right now, Alias and Deadwood. and i watch a lot of damn tv. if i had to make a list...these are two of my favorite shows EVER!

A Matter Of Chance

There are some good shows... but mostly, to quote Annie Hall:

[In LA]
Annie: It's so clean out hear
Alvy: That's because they don't throw their trash away, they turn it unto TV shows

RegularKarate

Quote from: filmboy70best shows right now, Alias and Deadwood. and i watch a lot of damn tv. if i had to make a list...these are two of my favorite shows EVER!

Wow, two shows I haven't had to watch an entire episode of to realize they suck and they're the best shows ever?

cine

Quote from: filmboy70best shows right now, Alias and Deadwood.  if i had to make a list...these are two of my favorite shows EVER!
. . . .

Quote from: filmboy70and i watch a lot of damn tv.
And it shows. . .

Slick Shoes

Lately, I have been having the same problem ModernAge described a few posts, and nearly half a year, back. That is, in the past year, I've gone from not having cable to having cable and watching 3+ hours of TV every night. It's sad. Sometimes, I just sit there flipping through the channels even though nothing is on. If TV can be considered a roommate, and I think it can, then I'm living with a bitch.