The Bourne Legacy

Started by MacGuffin, October 19, 2007, 10:50:21 AM

MacGuffin

Bourne Backpedaling
Damon now open to fourth installment.

While promoting the release of The Bourne Ultimatum in Tokyo, series star Matt Damon reversed his earlier position that this entry would be his last time playing the amnesiac assassin and left open the possibility of reprising his role for a fourth installment.

According to Yahoo! News, via AFP, Damon said, "Personally, the character means a lot to me because the character has done so much for my career. You know, it put me in the position where I have a lot more choices of kind of movies I want to make."

Damon's return appears contingent on the involvement of his Bourne Ultimatum and Bourne Supremacy director. "If Paul Greengrass, maybe years down the road, was interested in doing another one, then I would do it, too," the Oscar winner said. "I don't think either of us completely put the character to bed yet."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Universal moves ahead with 'Bourne'
George Nolfi to pen fourth installment of series
Source: Variety

Universal is moving ahead with its fourth installment of "The Bourne Identity" series, setting George Nolfi to write the script.
Nolfi was co-writer of the third film, which was based on a story by Tony Gilroy.

Though the series is based on the Robert Ludlum novels, the new film won't be based on a Ludlum title, but rather an original story.

Studio toppers Marc Shmuger, David Linde and Donna Langley are making the continuation of the Bourne franchise a top priority in their effort to mount tentpoles, and they've secured director Paul Greengrass and star Matt Damon to attach themselves to a new film (Variety, February 22, 2008).

Pic will be produced by Frank Marshall and exec produced by Jeffrey Weiner and Henry Morrison.

The studio intended to stop at the third installment, but the film grossed $227 million domestically and $215 million overseas.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The Bourne Mosaic
Producer drops hints about the fourth film.

During an interview alongside Kathleen Kennedy for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, producer Frank Marshall took a moment to update IGN on his current slate of projects. "We start in March on The Last Airbender with M. Night [Shyamalan]," he said. "That's a long project that'll be out in 2010. And we're developing the script right now for Bourne 4."

When asked about where the story might take the popular super-spy, Marshall played coy, saying only, "We've set the bar pretty high for ourselves as far as the story, but we just don't want to repeat the same movie again...We're gonna plug it back in. I think that's one of the elements that the audience loves – the little tidbits that we bring back in from the previous movies, things that you know about Bourne and what he can do and how that all ties together. And that's all very fun for us to do when creating the story."

But during a different interview, Marshall finally revealed that the fourth Bourne film may not be based on one of Robert Ludlum's Bourne novels at all. He informed Coming Soon that Bourne 4 won't be based on the sequel novel The Bourne Betrayal -- which wasn't authored by Ludlum -- but more likely Ludlum's The Parsifal Mosaic.

Universal Pictures recently signed a deal with Ludlum's estate that grants the studio exclusive rights to the character of Jason Bourne and first look at other Ludlum novels. This would allow Universal to use one of Ludlum's non-Bourne novels, such as The Parsifal Mosaic, as the basis for the plot to a Bourne movie sequel.

Publisher Random House provides the following plot synopsis for the novel: "Michael Havelock's world died on a moonlit beach on the Costa Brava. He watched as his partner and lover, Jenna Karats, double agent, was efficiently gunned down by his own agency. There was nothing left for him but to quit the game, get out. Until, in one frantic moment on a crowded railroad platform in Rome, Havelock saw his Jenna alive. From then on, he was marked for death by both U.S. and Russian assassins, racing around the globe after his beautiful betrayer, trapped in a massive mosaic of treachery created by a top-level mole with the world in his fist—Parsifal." More details can be found here.

Marshall also clarified that, as of now, only he and screenwriter George Nolfi are officially signed for the project. Star Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass will hopefully follow suit once a good script is developed.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Next 'Bourne' lands scribe
Josh Zetumer will write the franchise's fourth pic
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Josh Zetumer has signed on to pen the fourth installment of Universal's "Bourne" movie series, writing what is being described as a parallel script.

George Nolfi, who worked on "The Bourne Ultimatum," initially came back for the fourth entry. He also boarded to write and direct "The Adjustment Bureau," an adaptation of a Philip K. Dick short story that reteams him with "Bourne" star Matt Damon.

But as that movie nears its September start date, Nolfi had to step away from "Bourne." Not wishing to slow development and keen on making "Bourne" part of its 2011 slate, Universal hired Zetumer to write a new script. It is unclear what will occur after Zetumer submits his draft or whether his script will be integrated with Nolfi's.

"Our hope is that Nolfi, a key member of the 'Bourne' team, will return after he is done with 'The Adjustment Bureau,' " a Universal spokesperson said.

Writing two scripts, though rare, is not without precedent in the tentpole movie world. "Star Trek: Generations," "Fantastic Four: The Rise of the Silver Surfer" and "Wolverine" are movies that had parallel scripts commissioned and sometimes had them combined. "Conan," still in development, is another project that falls into that category.

Frank Marshall and Jeffrey Weiner are producing the latest "Bourne" installment.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Director Paul Greengrass Exits Fourth Bourne
Source: ComingSoon

The Playlist is reporting that Paul Greengrass, who directed both The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum, has exited the fourth "Bourne" movie in development at Universal Pictures.

Two scripts were turned in for the project - a first one by George Nolfi and a second by Josh Zemuter. The site says that no one likes Nolfi's version, but that Greengrass was not consulted by the studio in the hiring of Zemuter.

It will be interesting to see how this will affect Matt Damon's involvement. He's close to Greengrass and also starring in the director's upcoming Green Zone. Nolfi also wrote, and is directing, the Damon-starrer The Adjustment Bureau.

The Playlist does add that walking away might be a "typical Paul move" and that he possibly could be back on the project in a few months.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

If true, it's a good departure. Paul Greengrass did all that he can be able to do with his style in Bourne Ultimatum. He made his clunky hand held camera work flow with the story and compliment the action. Considering how Supremacy's editing ate up all of Bourne's best action moments in its chaotic editing bursts, I didn't think he would be able to make his style work well, but in Ultimatum he found a story that had many more elaborate action sequences. Greengrass became a better communicator of the intricacies of those action moments while also expressing his personality in the editing.

Besides, since the Bourne rough shot style has already been copied everywhere, the franchise needs to take a different approach. The appeal of Bourne himself can only last so long.

MacGuffin

Greengrass Makes Exit Statement on Bourne
By: Mike Fleming; Variety

Universal Pictures has acknowledged that Paul Greengrass has departed a fourth installment of "The Bourne Identity."

Studio has issued this statement from the director:

Said Greengrass: "You won't find a more devoted supporter of the Bourne franchise than me. I will always be grateful to have been the caretaker to Jason Bourne over the course of The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum. I'm very proud of those films and feel they express everything I most passionately believe about the possibility of making quality movies in the mainstream. My decision to not return a third time as director is simply about feeling the call for a different challenge. There's been no disagreement with Universal Pictures. The opportunity to work with the Bourne family again is a difficult thing to pass up, but we have discussed this together and they have been incredibly understanding and supportive. I've been lucky enough to have made four films for Universal, and our relationship continues. Jason Bourne existed before me and will continue, and I hope to remain involved in some capacity as the series moves on."

The exit of Greengrass--which first surfaced on The Playlist blog--is certainly a blow to Universal's attempt to put together a fourth installment of one of the studio's most important franchises, but it is not necessarily a fatal one.

Franchise-building is a difficult exercise, particularly here, when "Bourne 3" was intended to be the final installment. It did so much global business that the hit-hungry studio sparked to doing another. Universal's progress has been hamstrung by the fact that the creatives were otherwise engaged in directing other movies for the studio—each with Damon as the star.

For instance, Greengrass—who, like Damon, was never officially attached—has been consumed with "The Green Zone," a big budget film that Universal releases in March.

The development process on "Bourne 4" began with a draft by George Nolfi—who did uncredited writing on the last scene of "Bourne 2" and who wrote "Bourne 3" with Tony Gilroy and Scott Z. Burns. But Nolfi left to make his directing debut on "The Adjustment Bureau," a Nolfi scripted Damon vehicle which Universal acquired from MRC.

The studio then brought in Jason Zetumer to write a parallel script, but the movie hasn't yet taken shape, despite the best efforts of producer Frank Marshall, and Capitivate Entertainment's Jeffrey Weiner and Ben Smith, who control the rights to the novels of the late Robert Ludlum.

Where does Universal go from here on "Bourne 4?" Two possible scenarios: if Damon is happy with the job that Nolfi did on "The Adjustment Bureau," he might back Nolfi's candidacy to return to "Bourne 4," maybe as director.

There is also Gilroy, another writer-turned-director. Gilroy misfired on the Universal film he directed, "Duplicity," but he has been the creative catalyst as screenwriter, the only scribe whose name is on all three films. Gilroy could certainly return to rewrite and direct.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Nevermind. Apparently Damon is married to Greengrass so let's hope Greengrass quitting is just him trying to get some leverage with the studios.

Damon Says Bye Bye Bourne-y?
By Garth Franklin
Source: Dark Horizons

With director Paul Greengrass' very public departure from the Jason Bourne franchise, the question of Matt Damon's involvement was bound to come up at the press junket for "Invictus" the other day.

Damon surprised everyone though when he said that without Greengrass, he wasn't interested in returning to the role during a press conference.

"I'll just wait for him and when he wants to do one, we'll do it...I think it'll happen down the road. We just don't have a script yet" said Damon. Asked by a report to clarify that if it's Greengrass or no 'Bourne'? to which he responded "Yeah, I've always said that" said Damon.

Asked about it later in a video interview by MTV, he confirmed his statements and seems open to another one but it would be at a time of his and Greengrass' choosing from the sounds of it.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on December 07, 2009, 12:54:33 PM
Asked by a report to clarify that if it's Greengrass or no 'Bourne'? to which he responded "Yeah, I've always said that" said Damon.

When asked to expound , Damon replied "During the entire shooting of the first movie, I thought that Doug Liman WAS Paul Greengrass, as I had never met him before.  Turns out the first time I said 'it's Greengrass or no Bourne', the studio tricked me.  Fool me once..."

MacGuffin

Next Bourne to be a Prequel?
Source: Empire

Ever since Universal's The Bourne Ultimatum became a worldwide hit, there's been a lot of talk about whether director Paul Greengrass and actor Matt Damon might return for another go-round. Last year, producer Frank Marshall hinted that Universal were shooting for summer 2011 for another Bourne Sequel, but over the last few months, Greengrass dropped out, and things began to look grim, because Damon only seemed interested if Greengrass returned, as we reported back in December.

While on the red carpet for the premiere of Clint Eastwood's Invictus, Matt Damon was asked by Empire magazine about whether there's been any status change since he was last asked about it, to which the actor responded:

"There'll probably be a prequel of some kind with another actor and another director before we do another one," he said, "just because I think we're probably another five years away from doing it – we've got to get a script..."

So this makes one think Damon hasn't completely ruled out doing another movie, but barring a script for a sequel, Universal is looking into the possibility of creating a stopgap while keeping the franchise going by getting another director and actor to make a prequel to The Bourne Identity.

Universal has regularly produced prequels to their biggest hits, whether it was the "Silence of the Lambs" prequel Red Dragon (which was more or less a remake of Michael Mann's Manhunter), and The Scorpion King, their prequel to the sequel of The Mummy remake. In fact, they're currently working on a prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing, so the thought of Universal putting together a prequel to Robert Ludlum's popular espionage series doesn't sound too far-fetched.

Being that Greengrass and Damon are reunited for Green Zone, which Universal is releasing on March 12, one can expect we'll be hearing more about this story in the weeks to come.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tony Gilroy to Write The Bourne Legacy!
Source: ComingSoon

Universal Pictures announced today that Tony Gilroy is returning to write the script for The Bourne Legacy, the fourth installment in the Jason Bourne franchise. Gilroy is also writing a "franchise bible." He penned The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum.

Frank Marshall and Pat Crowley are also back to produce alongside Captivate Entertainment's Jeffrey Weiner and Ben Smith.

While "The Bourne Legacy" is a book written by Eric Lustabader in Robert Ludlum's "Bourne" series, the film will not be based on it.

Matt Damon has gone on record that he wouldn't reprise the role if director Paul Greengrass is not returning. We'll have to wait and see if this announcement changes Damon's mind.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 09, 2010, 10:29:15 PM
Matt Damon has gone on record that he wouldn't reprise the role if director Paul Greengrass is not returning.

i think the fact the green zone made no money whatsoever will be the deciding factor in greengrass coming back.. for the green.

and damon.. for damoney.
under the paving stones.

Kal

just watched the last episode of entourage again. not a great episode, but matt damon is very funny on it.

and drama: "he jason bourned me!"

MacGuffin

Tony Gilroy To Direct 'The Bourne Legacy'
Source: The Playlist

"Those works were never meant to be filmed," Tony Gilroy once said dismissively about the "The Bourne Identity "script he wrote for director Doug Liman. "They weren't about human behavior. They were about running to airports." Tony Gilroy has never had an easy relationship with the 'Bourne' franchise, but he was paid handsomely to pen the scripts for each installment, but became increasingly frustrated with what ended up on screen (tellingly, he agreed to write "Bourne Ultimatum" under the conditions that he would never have to speak to Paul Greengrass, would only pen one draft --indeed, three writers are credited --get paid, and wash his hands of the entire affair). Well, it looks like Gilroy is finally going to get a chance to tell the story his way. He's been hired by Universal to direct the fourth installment "The Bourne Legacy" after turning in a draft of the screenplay. The troubled project hit the skids last year when director Paul Greengrass walked from the project. Universal, trying to find a direction to the take the fourth film, had two scripts have been written for the project: one by George Nolfi(who co-wrote 'Bourne 3' and who wrote and directed the other Matt Damon vehicle the "The Adjustment Bureau"), and another by scribe, Josh Zetumer in what was described as a "parallel" script. Zetumer has been a Black List favorite for several years, and has "The Infiltrator" in development with Leonard DiCaprio's company, Appian Way, and wrote the latest incarnation of "Dune." The problem? Greengrass, who had been busy toiling away on "Green Zone," was not consulted by Universal in the hiring of a new writer. This obviously did not make him happy, but that was only part of the issue. "Green Zone," which was supposed to be a small film between the two franchise projects, found the budget balloon to nearly $150 million. And Greengrass' tendency to run over schedule and budget went back to "The Bourne Ultimatum"; while Universal looked the other way once the film was a smash hit, even before "Green Zone" hit theaters, the studio was bracing for the worst. Adding even more to the plot is Matt Damon's loyalty to the director, more or less saying that he wouldn't appear in any 'Bourne' films unless Greengrass was behind the camera. As for Gilroy, he's been hinted as a replacement since last winter, was a name we heard as being the top contender months ago and is really, the best and most logical choice for the job. That said, it remains to be seen if Matt Damon will return but earlier this year, it sounded like he had pretty much moved on saying, "You don't have anything more to contribute to a franchise that needs to continue obviously, and in order to continue, a franchise needs to be rebooted and re-energized by new perspectives. I just felt that I'd done it, and there's nothing unnatural about that." In fact the tentative titled, "The Bourne Legacy," pretty much seems like an indication the franchise is moving on from Damon and that Jason Bourne character. While the fourth entry was originally slated for 2012 release, there is no timetable yet in place. But it is easily the studio's biggest franchise and one their eager to get back on screens soon. The question now is: who is the next Jason Bourne or at least the Bourne-like spy who will continue the franchise?

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Love the news. Love the bad blood and history, too. The other Bourne movies are fine, but Ultimatum was a culmination point for Bourne's potential in that mode of storytelling. They can't do anything but recycle its used goods. For better or worse, a change of guard needs to happen. The good news is that a studio is trusting someone who balks at a formula which made them a lot of money. Should make for some interesting results.