VX2000 shutter speed options (how to look like film SLOWMO)

Started by DigitalFriend, August 14, 2003, 09:54:56 AM

DigitalFriend

Hello,

I was just watching Mean Streets the other day and there are many instances where Scorcese does a slow dolly in and everythings in slow mo.  Or just slow mo in general.  (A lot of Scorcese films do this)

Anyway, I was wondering how I could possibly achieve that on my VX2000.  I know adjusting the time in premiere achieves slow-mo but it doesn't have that fluidity.  If I changed the shutter speed (to something lower) and slowed it in premiere, would that make a difference?  Maybe deinterlace it first?

Let me know,

Bobby
www.riggedproductions.com

mindfuck

If you plan to slow down a scene you need to do what is known as "overcranking" the camera. Basically you speed up the rate at which your camera is capturing frames so you are getting more frames per second (usually around 60 to 80 fps when overcranking I believe). Thats where that lack of fluidity is coming from if you just slow things down in premiere. You need to overcrank the shot to, say, 60 fps and then play it back at the normal 24 fps and you've got instant slowmotion with the same kind of detail as if you shot it "realtime".

Not sure how you do that function on your specific camera though, sorry.

Redlum

Slow down the clip as you would usually in premiere (shortening the duration or however). If you right click on a clip in the timeline, goto video options, frame hold and the enable frame blending - you should get some substantially better (more fluid) results.

As for a slow-mo ramp, I really dont think its going to happen. I believe there is some kind of plugin that can help, but its expensive and I'm sure the results would never be worth it.

After seeing something like Full Frontal and several attempts to achieve what you're after and other film qualities (such as shallow Depth of Field), I think its best to play to DV's strengths. I just dont think its worth faking it.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ReelHotGames

With the VX2000, you are going to be limited on the ability to do a true quality slow motion shot. You know the premiere route, but there is at least one other option I know of. When capturing footage from your VX2000 to your computer you can playback in slow mo, an in camera option and capture it in that mode.

It's smoother, but there is no control over the speed of the image, it is a preset.

Premiere is still your best option for slow motion, but you should also consider using other filters on the clip, maybe a guazian blur set very low to help smooth out the edges etc...
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

jasper_window

Quote from: michael alessandroWith the VX2000, you are going to be limited on the ability to do a true quality slow motion shot. You know the premiere route, but there is at least one other option I know of. When capturing footage from your VX2000 to your computer you can playback in slow mo, an in camera option and capture it in that mode.

It's smoother, but there is no control over the speed of the image, it is a preset.

That's a good idea.  If you're capturing from a deck, and then deck has a shuttle you can have a little more control that way.  Depends on what kind of money you have acause a deck is gonna run you a bit of money.

mutinyco

I don't know about Premiere, but to do a speed ramp effect you need software that has keyframes. Final Cut has 'em. Avid has 'em. You pick points within the shot and type in the speed you want, then the software automatically creates a gradual change from one to the other. The speed is determined by how far apart the keyframes are.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton