Okkervil River: The BEST Band You Haven't Had Time To Listen To (So Far)

Started by RegularKarate, August 21, 2006, 01:48:52 PM

RegularKarate

The smart slate is feeding an hour, fifteen minutes, twenty seconds, and some odd frames to the high-def cameras placed around the room.  One of these is sitting on a jib-arm, almost scraping the nicotine-stained ceiling tiles as it twists to get a clear view of the two hundred or so people squeezed shoulder to shoulder inside the Carousel Lounge.
The reason this light is being absorbed and laid to tape and sixteen millimeter film is that it may eventually be displayed on a DVD along with the sounds that are about to be played by the band Okkervil River.

I can only see a microphone from where I stand.  I won't be able to see anything, but the top of singer Will Sheff's head as he jumps around and let's the music send him into mild spasms. 
The band takes the stage and Sheff tells us there is alchohol in the back set up for for us, but to please buy set-ups from the Carousel.  Then, with no opening band, we're brought right into an uninterrupted string of five or six songs that could easily fit onto a mix CD one might title "The absolute best of Okkervil River". 

Throughout the night, we're treated to one of the most enthusiastic performances I've seen from a band.  The crowd enjoys every song, but seems to pick as a group which songs it will sing along with.  The favorites this night appear to be For Real, A Stone, and the always popular closer Westfall.

Every time I've seen this band, I've wanted to share with another fan how great the show was, but there does not appear to be enough fans, especially outside of Austin.  While I might prefer the band stay small enough to play shows like the one at Carousel Lounge, the band deserves more recognition.

This thread is to discuss Okkervil River

I Love a Magician

One of my favorite bands. There's a really good mellow version of No Key No Plan here: http://myspace.com/ornag

I don't really have anything to add but my favorite album of theirs is Black Sheep Boy. Don't Fall in Love with Everyone You See is close though.

imawombat

:yabbse-grin: agreed...okkervil is one of the most amazing bands ever! 

and, they are incredible live!
these things do happen

modage

September 3rd. The Now Playing thread.

Quote from: modage on September 03, 2007, 12:04:08 PM

wow.  i'm pretty sure RK and a few others were all over their last lp, which i gave a listen or two and couldn't get into.  but this one has been instantaneous.

That's how it began.  A day later.

Quote from: modage on September 04, 2007, 01:55:50 PM
just to follow up i practically have not stopped listening to the Okkervil River album since i posted it here.  i am OBSESSED.

That is almost true today.  35 days later and i have listened to almost nothing but Okkervil River.  I have collected their entire discography and began my trip backwards. 

The Stage Names i have heard upwards of 60 times by now.  It's fantastic, huge, their most accessible.  After hearing the lead song Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe a handful of times I decided to try the album which struck me instantly.  It required no effort and with the exception of Savannah Smiles, every song on the album is the best song on the album. 

Black Sheep Boy took a bit longer.  For Real stood out right away but the rest of the album took some time to grow on me.  It's less bombastic, sadder, a little rougher around the edges and with the Definitive Edition much longer.  Now, I love it.  Black Sheep Boy reminds me of Her Majesty, its a pretty little song about a minute long.  For Real is still the most anthemic song on the album.  Black and No Key No Plan are both great.  Today I have not been able to stop playing The Next Four Months.  Another few weeks and I may actually prefer this album to The Stage Names. 

I've been sneaking listens to The Presidents Dead, For Real, Overboard & Down, Sleep And Wake-Up Songs EP's but am hesitant to dig into the other albums until I need to.  I don't want to use them up too soon, especially while the newest ones still have so much to offer. 

Everyone must listen to this band. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

i must admit i have been consistently unimpressed with everything else you've hyped, except maybe the kinks. spoon especially was like "uhhhhhhhhh okay be done now".

but i will steal these albums, i just can't resist a good hype.
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on October 09, 2007, 09:43:34 AM
RK, back me up on this.  now is the time for a groundswell!

The band has gotten much bigger since the new album has come out.  I stand by this being my favorite Austin band and one of my favorite bands playing today.

P, I don't know if this is your thing, but Spoon is also from Austin and I'm not nearly as impressed by them as I am with OR.  Spoon seems more focused on having a "cool" sound than really singing with emotion.  Get Black Sheep Boy first though.. that's the most impressive.  I guess I understand Mod loving Stage Names the most since that's when he started liking them, but BSB is, to me, at least twice as good.

Mod, as far as full albums go, a lot of people really like Down the River of Golden Dreams, but I think the next best (next to BSB) is Don't Fall in Love...  it's short and sweet and you have to listen to it before you see them live just so you can be prepared for Westfall (which they almost always close with).

Stefen

They're nothing great. Some of their songs are kind of cheezy (our life is not a movie, I'm looking at you) but their fun. I wouldn't go Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga over them. But that's just me.

EDIT: Okay, I listened to Black Sheep Boy again and it is pretty good. I take back their nothing great. That was a bit harsh. Their not better than Spoon though. Their emo music for ironic people who scoff at people who listen to emo music.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

why do you dislike Savannah Smiles?
that's probably my favorite track on the album.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 09, 2007, 12:21:45 PM
Spoon seems more focused on having a "cool" sound than really singing with emotion.  Get Black Sheep Boy first though.. that's the most impressive.

sunday morning wednesday night
advance cassette
metal detektor
paper tiger
vittorio e

Stefen

I didn't get the Spoon trying to sound cool comment. More like trying to sound nerdy. Trying to sound cool would be some meathead band like Disturbed, Godsmack, or Guns N Roses.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Stefen on October 09, 2007, 10:54:53 PM
I didn't get the Spoon trying to sound cool comment. More like trying to sound nerdy. Trying to sound cool would be some meathead band like Disturbed, Godsmack, or Guns N Roses.

you don't understand what I'm saying... not "cool" like a popular kid, but a cool sound... it's a character singing to me... not a person.

Stefen

Stefen

Fucking shit.

So I ended up on a short notice road trip to Denver for a business presentation and the only CD I had (since I forgot my iPod) was The Stage Names since I had thrown it into the backseat a few months ago because it was trash.

Wow. It's actually really, really good. I listened to it the whole way there and then bought a copy of Black Sheep Boy in Denver and listened to that on the way back (it was the only album of theirs I ever gave a chance and liked just a little bit) and it's even better!

I'm gonna revisit their whole catalog this weekend.

I even saw them live and thought they were awful, but now I think it was just that I wasn't into them very much at the time. Same thing happened with Animal Collective the first time I saw them.

My apologies to Mod and RK for the crap I talked, but I have seen the light! Embrace me and let me into your stupid club!

modage

Welcome to the Club!  Now we just need to recruit a few more members.  Now that there is a break in the Radiohead insanity, hopefully people will have a chance to check them out. 

I've still been listening to Okkervil EVERY DAY.  Now I am onto Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See and Down The River Of Golden Dreams.   Favorite tracks are It Ends With A Fall, Song About A Star, Seas Too Far Too Reach, Red, Lady Liberty and Westfall. 

This is one of my Top 5 Favorite Bands now making music today.  I'm DYING to see them live.  Darjeewho?