The Beatles

Started by cine, October 23, 2003, 10:24:15 AM

Fernando

Quote from: cronopioi think there was a phrase that said "catch up".

There's a radio show here in Mexico called LA HORA DE LOS BEATLES (the beatles hour)  and you get to listen to geniunely rare stuff by them. I listened to it in the morning and  I tried to remind a piece of lyric  from it but  McCartney shouts  a lot.

Edit: It could be Paul McCartney's Monkberry Moon Delight.

IT IS!

I love that song, it's from his second solo effort RAM, which btw is essential if you like old Mac.

Mesh

Quote from: WitkacyWhy were  the Beatles special????  I don't see it or hear it.  They're a fabricated icon within the library of pop music.  Long live Beatles muzak...

This is just ludicrous, I can't even begin to argue with such a moronic opinion.  "Fabricated"?  You're thinking of the Monkees, dork.  Or Ruben Studdard.

Quote from: godardianSeriously, they weren't nearly as special as most people seem to think... still, if you can overlook the suffocating legend, there are a few very good songs.

I guess my response to that would be: "Who better deserves the adoration/respect they've recieved?"  How in the world could you be a Smiths nut and not like The Beatles?

Quote from: classical gasisn't 'strawberry fields forever' two songs together?  aren't they the first to do that?  maybe the last?

No, it's not; no, they weren't; no, a million songs are like that.  See: "Band on the Run" by Wings for a Beatle-related example, it's at least three songs edited together.

Film Student

Must agree with Mesh (minus the name-calling) on this one.  You can't listen to/enjoy much of any latter-half-of-the-20thCentury pop music without giving the Beatles their proper due.  If you can't recognize their brilliance, chances are you haven't listened to much of them.  

On the piecing several songs together topic:

They also did that with "Happiness is a Warm Gun" and "A Day in the Life", among others.  

Trivia note:  Thom Yorke said (regarding "Paranoid Android") that he was inspired by "Happiness is a Warm Gun" to take three half-finished pieces he couldn't grab a hold of and create one epic song.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

bonanzataz

Quote from: Film StudentTrivia note:  Thom Yorke said (regarding "Paranoid Android") that he was inspired by "Happiness is a Warm Gun" to take three half-finished pieces he couldn't grab a hold of and create one epic song.

JUST as i read that, paranoid android starting playing on itunes.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

is it just me or is this beatles thread more popular now than when they were still together?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02is it just me or is this beatles thread more popular now than when they were still together?

Yes, this thread is more popular than it was in the 1960s.

modage

you realize i was making a joke.  but i dont realize if you are.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weird. Oh

Since the quality of popular music today has diminished due to several factors, many people look backwards and find great music that wasn't tainted by today's marketing machines. (The same could be said about film)

Although, to play devil's advocate, the Beatles enjoyed immense success initially because of their image. However, their musicianship equaled anything heard from pop music prior to that era and has obviously affected as discussed before music from the 60's to today.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Ravi

But we have to remember that in the past there were vapid teen idols like Bobby Sherman, Leif Garrett, etc., so it's not like all the music back then was groundbreaking.

tpfkabi

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: Film StudentTrivia note:  Thom Yorke said (regarding "Paranoid Android") that he was inspired by "Happiness is a Warm Gun" to take three half-finished pieces he couldn't grab a hold of and create one epic song.

JUST as i read that, paranoid android starting playing on itunes.

i'm guessing the Beatles got this idea from Good Vibrations which was several pieces of music recorded in different studios and then spliced together.......if you've heard stuff from the Smile sessions, the Beatles ain't got nothing on BW.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Mesh

Quote from: Reformed WeirdoSince the quality of popular music today has diminished due to several factors, many people look backwards and find great music that wasn't tainted by today's marketing machines.

You have to remember, though, that the Beatles phenomenon owed quite a lot to the fledgling pop music marketing machine of that era.  Re-re-packaged songs/albums, promo films, toys, games, magazines...... They're the reason N'Sync is considered a) a mega-success and b) insanely cliche.

edit re: "namecalling":  He called the Beatles "fabricated," I called him a moronic dork.  Quid pro quo.

tpfkabi

i don't quite understand. the Beatles wrote their own songs and did some covers, but they were a pub band for a long time. it wasn't like they were picked out of auditioners, they were a tight band from years of playing long long hours all through the night. the progression they made in around 5 years is hard to comptemplate.

Mesh

Quote from: bigideas.....if you've heard stuff from the Smile sessions, the Beatles ain't got nothing on BW.

Yeah, no.  Both Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney have admitted to being insanely jealous/competitive with/against each other during the Revolver/Pet Sounds/Sgt. Pepper/Smile era.  They fed off of each other, stole/reworked ideas, tried to one-up each other in a "friendly competition" way.

I don't think it's accurate to say "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" is any sort of direct response to "Good Vibrations" though.

Quote from: Some crazy website Wilson has long said he felt a sense of artistic competitiveness
 with the Fab Four. Each group has acknowledged the influence of
 the other.The Beatles' 1965 album "Rubber Soul" inspired Wilson
 to move beyond the teen simplicity of the Beach Boys' early work
 to the musical maturity and emotional expressiveness of 1966's
 "Pet Sounds."The ambitions of "Pet Sounds" helped spur the
 Beatles to new heights in their next album, "Revolver."Wilson
 was determined to top his rivals again with "Smile." He promised
 it would be as much of a progression over "Pet Sounds" as that
 was over its predecessor, "Beach Boys Party!""Smile" was
 expected at the end of 1966 — while the Beatles were working on
 "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

Immediately after "Pet Sounds," Wilson created the band's most
 intricately crafted recording, "Good Vibrations," a song
 intended for "Smile." It became the Beach Boys' biggest hit up
 to that time, proof that there was a market for Wilson's
 increasingly sophisticated music.

So you can see how contemporary Smile and Sgt. Pepper were, both bands combining several songs into one, experimenting in a million ways....

tpfkabi

but Happiness is off of the White Album.
Good Vibrations was released before Pepper. remember, it was the release of Sgt. Pepper that made BW abandon Smile for good............until now of course.
i'm not saying Happiness is copying from GV in any way except that Brian showed what you could do, how you could "cut & paste" fragments together in the pop music world. the Beatles also started using found sound (animals sounds, etc) after falling in love with Pet Sounds (think the ending of CAroline, No).

you're trying to make me sound anti-Beatles but i love them. it's just BW was the first to release a commercial single like that.

MacGuffin

Capitol boxes U.S. versions of first Beatles albums on CD

Capitol Records will issue the first four U.S. albums by the Beatles as a boxed set, "The Capitol Albums Vol. 1," on Nov. 16.

The release marks the first time the Fab Four's evergreen early American catalog is being made available on compact disc. Priced at $69.98 (and undoubtedly a prime target for price-slashing by mass merchants), it will be a slam-dunk sales bonanza for Capitol in the busy preholiday shopping season.

Capitol Records president Andy Slater says, "It's been a personal quest for me over the last three years to get these records released because this is the way I remember them, the way I first heard them."

The band's initial quartet of American albums -- "Meet the Beatles," "The Beatles' Second Album," "Something New" and "Beatles '65," all originally released in 1964 -- contain many of the No. 1 singles that launched the band's career, including "I Want to Hold Your Hand," "She Loves You," "I Feel Fine" and "She's a Woman."

The box, which Slater says will be available for a limited time only, will be the first new product from the band since the Apple/Capitol hits compilation "1" was issued in November 2000. That collection entered the Billboard 200 at No. 1 and has sold 9.7 million units to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan; it remains a fixture near the top of Billboard's top pop catalog chart.

So far, the Beatles have not licensed their catalog to any digital music service.

The upcoming box is the first significant upgrade of the Beatles' earliest music since the commercial dawn of the CD format.

When Capitol debuted the Beatles catalog on CD in 1987, the albums were issued worldwide in their original British configurations from EMI's Parlophone imprint, in mono.

Some American Beatlemaniacs howled in protest when the CDs appeared. While the English versions contained more songs than their American counterparts (which had appeared on LP in retitled formulations, whittled down to address higher music publishing costs, created by EMI's U.S. label Capitol), Stateside fans bemoaned the absence of the albums they grew up with and clamored for stereo versions.

Now, at the end of the year marking the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' "British invasion" (they played their first U.S. dates in February 1964), Capitol is finally releasing the American editions.

"The Capitol Albums Vol. 1" will comprise four discs, with the stereo and mono versions of the individual U.S. titles, mastered from the original tapes, available on each disc.

The stereo versions will be either true stereo or "duophonic." The duophonic sound was created by Capitol in the '60s using two mono channels that were equalized, compressed and reverbed. "It's fairly primitive stereo -- instruments in one channel, vocals in the other channel," Slater says. But, he added, "It creates a sound that your memory tells you is correct."

He said, "When you actually listen to these records and hear them compared to what's (been) available, it's intoxicating."

The CDs in "The Capitol Albums" will be housed in miniature replicas of the original albums, and the set will include a 48-page booklet.

Slater said there are no plans to release the four individual titles separately and that a "Vol. 2" of American albums has not yet been scheduled.

The track list for "The Capitol Albums Vol. 1" follows.

"Meet the Beatles":
"I Want to Hold Your Hand"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"This Boy"
"It Won't Be Long"
"All I've Got to Do"
"All My Loving"
"Don't Bother Me"
"Little Child"
"Till There Was You"
"Hold Me Tight"
"I Wanna Be Your Man"
"Not a Second Time"

"The Beatles Second Album":
"Roll Over Beethoven"
"Thank You Girl"
"You Really Got a Hold on Me"
"Devil in Her Heart"
"Money"
"You Can't Do That"
"Long Tall Sally"
"I Call Your Name"
"Please Mr. Postman"
"I'll Get You"
"She Loves You"

"Something New":
"I'll Cry Instead"
"Things We Said Today"
"Any Time At All"
"When I Get Home"
"Slow Down"
"Matchbox"
"Tell Me Why"
"And I Love Her"
"I'm Happy Just to Dance With You"
"If I Fell"
"Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand"

"Beatles '65":
"No Reply"
"I'm a Loser"
"Baby's in Black
"Rock and Roll Music"
"I'll Follow the Sun"
"Mr. Moonlight"
"Honey Don't"
"I'll Be Back"
"She's a Woman"
"I Feel Fine"
"Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks