Apple is the best thing ever

Started by Kal, October 12, 2005, 02:59:39 PM

Stefen

It's pretty awesome but a part of me was kind of hoping for something more than a big iPhone without the phone. I'm sure there are still some surprises under the hood.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

It's kind of a disappointment, but the price is lower than it could have been.

Really, it's a jazzed-up iPhone without the phone.  I'll just take a laptop, thanks.

modage

Not into it.  Reaaaally wanted a new iPhone, but figured it wasn't going to happen since it would've been overshadowed by the Pad.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

At that price, I will probably get one as long as I can use my existing 3G data plan and now have to get an additional one.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Hmm.  I already have an iPhone, and it both makes phone calls and fits in my pocket, so I'm gonna call it good.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

Pubrick

^hahah

this is the most stupid product i've ever seen hyped this much. so you won't hav to squint as badly when you watch movies on your little screen? so you can read newspapers ALMOST the same size as on a very small laptop? so you can not break the screen in less than a month?

i guess i'm to remain apple-free for yet another year.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

I've had the iphone for a few years now, to the point where typing on it has become second nature.  Normally the auto-correct feature works flawlessly, picking up on the little moments when your fingers miss the target and figuring out what you're actually trying to write.  Occasionally, though, it suffers from a serious case of whatthefuck.  Case in point, I was writing a text to my girlfriend in which I used the word "might".  I get through "mig" before the little auto-correct balloon pops up and offers what was clearly the most obvious choice for what I was trying to type: "niggardly".  To recap, I typed "mig" and the iphone jumped all over itself to suggest "niggardly".  Iphone, I love you like a cute cousin, but seriously, that was weird.

Neil

Are you implying that there was another situation where "niggardly" was necessary to use?  Or did it just come out of nowhere?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

The phone came up with it out of nowhere. I can envision situations where one would use the word, for example if one were a financial reporter from the 1910s. But for the phone to presume that it was the most likely word that I might have been trying to type is nothing short of bizarre.

Stefen

I think the iPhone learns words you've previously used, racist.

polkablues

I can guarantee that I've never once typed the word niggardly into my phone before today.  Also, that's not what niggardly means, logophobe.

squints

nig·gard·ly
   /ˈnɪgərdli/
–adjective
reluctant to give or spend; stingy; miserly.
meanly or ungenerously small or scanty: a niggardly tip to a waiter.

so, like a niggardly jew. nothing racist at all.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

Steve Jobs hates Jews. The evidence is incontrovertible. You heard it here first.

modage

whenever I go to type "now" and end up typing "noe" it ends up capitalizing it "Noe" instead of "now".  Gaspar Noe is the only reason i can think of for this.  but I can't have typed that more than like, once.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.