Johnny Cash

Started by bonanzataz, March 26, 2003, 12:17:30 AM

bonanzataz

Everybody go download "Delia's Gone" and tell me you don't think the man is a genius.

I think country music gets unfairly judged these days. Like, you ask everybody, "what type of music do you like?", and everybody goes, "I listen to everything..." then quickly "except for country!" What the fuck is up with that?! The only country that sucks is pop-country. Other country, like Mr. Cash, has major influences on modern music and it also kicks major ass. NO DISSIN' ON THE COUNTRY!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

The problem is that the only country that's really popular these days is of the pop/Dixie Chicks/Faith Hill variety. Or Garth Brooks style or whatever. So when people say they hate country, they're usually referring to that.

Johnny Cash is one of my all time favorites. All of the American records are must-haves. That duet with Fiona on the most recent one is killer.

Willie Nelson is great too, and Emmylou Harris and Gram Parsons.

bonanzataz

Duet? With Fiona?

WHERE WHERE WHERE BEFORE I SHIT MY PANTS!

I didn't even realize the guy was alive.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

Oh, I thought everyone already knew about it! It's on American IV, his latest release. They cover Bridge Over Covered Water. It'll make you cry. I think it was nominated for a Grammy, too.

Also on the album is his new hit single, the cover of NIN's 'Hurt.' And a duet with Nick Cave. All in all, one of the very best albums of the past twelve months.

He's seventy one, and according to a recent interview, looking forward to death.

Pubrick

Quote from: GhostboyHe's seventy one, and according to a recent interview, looking forward to death.
johnny cash money cash money cash is money made is money cash is made money johnny.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Pubes is dead on there.

Cash is Money fo' Sho'

I definately dig on the new, but the old is where it's at.

As far as the country ticket goes, I used to say that too "except country", but that was because all I knew of country was the shitty pop/rock shite.  I've since seen the light that is Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson.  Well shit, since I discovered them (about 6 years ago), I've found there are PLENTY of good country acts out there.  But no one measures up to the Man in Black.

phil marlowe

cash is da man!!!

at folsom prison makes me drink beer.

CollinBullock

Does the video for Hurt make anyone else's hairs stand on end.

Fucking brilliant...
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

Raikus

I was shocked and awed when I saw 'Hurt."

Especially when I saw the songwriting credit go to Trent Reznor. I didn't even recognize the cover.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pedro

Quote from: RaikusI was shocked and awed when I saw 'Hurt."

Especially when I saw the songwriting credit go to Trent Reznor. I didn't even recognize the cover.

¿¿ :shock: ??

Didn't Reznor do the cover?  I thought cash did the original...hmm..

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Raikus

Reznor wrote the original, Cash covered it.

Info here: http://www.leoslyrics.com/listlyrics.php?id=72418
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Duck Sauce

That video is mondo.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Duck SauceThat video is mondo.

The video looks like Johnny has one foot down....he is old, it shows...amen for him to keep putting out tunes...

Lucinda Bryte

Johnny Cash is the only country artist I like. I got his Greatest Hits CD awhile back. Then he came out with his new album... When I saw the video for "Hurt" I cried... It was so amazing and he sang it with such passion. I downloaded the video too.

Gah... I also heard a clip of him singing "In My Life" .. A Beatles cover. One of my favorite Beatles songs actually.

What is his new album called? I want to buy it.