Joss Stone or Why 3 Year Old Songs Shouldn't Have Remakes

Started by Raikus, February 07, 2004, 08:52:26 AM

Raikus

Has anyone heard this? Some new female singer who's single is a remake of "Fell In Love with a Girl." She drastically changes the pronouns and releases "Fell In Love with a Boy." Why? It's a crappy, popish remake of a great song and shouldn't there be a rule about not remaking songs under 10 years old?

What is wrong with the world?!  :x
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pedro

Sleuth

Covers of recent songs can be fun at live concerts, but not as singles.  I've never heard this song and I don't want to (the cover).
I like to hug dogs

Audioslave- Seven nation army.

that is one cool cover, sounds like an hymn.
context, context, context.

Pas

Quote from: chuckhimselfoAudioslave- Seven nation army.

that is one cool cover, sounds like an hymn.

I can't find it on IRC :-(

Gloria

Quote from: RaikusHas anyone heard this? Some new female singer who's single is a remake of "Fell In Love with a Girl." She drastically changes the pronouns and releases "Fell In Love with a Boy." Why? It's a crappy, popish remake of a great song and shouldn't there be a rule about not remaking songs under 10 years old?

I really, really like that song "Fell in love with a boy" and Joss Stone deserves all kinds of attention because of her vocal talent.  While most pop stars are too busy working on their image that they fail to develop any talent, Joss Stone can sing with the best of the best.  I can understand frustration with remakes....but if you want to hear her not sing a remake, try "The Chokin Kind."  She is really talented.

Pubrick

it's inexcusable to release such a recent song as a cover-single, her first no less.

unless of course u are a soul-less techno remake bullshit group that is big in germany.

flaming lips did a good Seven Nation Army i heard once..
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: chuckhimselfoAudioslave- Seven nation army. that is one cool cover, sounds like an hymn.
I can't find it on IRC :-(
you can find it at soulseek. especially the version that says "live from hultsfred". 8)

Raikus

Quote from: Gloria
Quote from: RaikusHas anyone heard this? Some new female singer who's single is a remake of "Fell In Love with a Girl." She drastically changes the pronouns and releases "Fell In Love with a Boy." Why? It's a crappy, popish remake of a great song and shouldn't there be a rule about not remaking songs under 10 years old?

I really, really like that song "Fell in love with a boy" and Joss Stone deserves all kinds of attention because of her vocal talent.  While most pop stars are too busy working on their image that they fail to develop any talent, Joss Stone can sing with the best of the best.  I can understand frustration with remakes....but if you want to hear her not sing a remake, try "The Chokin Kind."  She is really talented.
Well I have to disagree with the quality of her remake. It's to free form and has no structure. It's popish; basically that's not something I normally like.

It's a really dumb move all around because now she's made a bad first impression. If she wants to appeal to the hardcore music fans and the indy masses (which it seems is her goal from her marketing) she needed to structure herself as a singer/songwriter. Now it doesn't matter what song she writes, performs and releases because she'll always be the girl who started with an unnecessary remake and not an original work.

She may be a good singer, but now that's the only statement for the pinnacle of her career.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gloria

Quote from: RaikusWell I have to disagree with the quality of her remake. It's to free form and has no structure. It's popish; basically that's not something I normally like.

It's a really dumb move all around because now she's made a bad first impression. If she wants to appeal to the hardcore music fans and the indy masses (which it seems is her goal from her marketing) she needed to structure herself as a singer/songwriter. Now it doesn't matter what song she writes, performs and releases because she'll always be the girl who started with an unnecessary remake and not an original work.

She may be a good singer, but now that's the only statement for the pinnacle of her career.

I don't think the longevity of her career rests with that one song.  I think in order to appeal to the masses and catch people's attention, she had to do something to set her apart from all the other blonde, female vocalists.   I mean, it got your attention, didn't it?  She has more to offer than just one song.  Its unfortunate if people immediately judge her talent and abilities because she did something unique with a familiar song and offered it as her first single. If you think about it, that was a really gutsy move that will hopefully pay off for her.

I just don't believe that her type of music is your cup of tea.  She has a very strong old school soul vibe that added a new flavor to "Fell in Love with a Boy."  It is not better or worse than the original...just different.

Pas

Try to understand what we mean ... covering really recent songs as singles is really euro-trash/lame, no matter how good the cover supposedly is

Gloria

Quote from: Pas RapportTry to understand what we mean ... covering really recent songs as singles is really euro-trash/lame, no matter how good the cover supposedly is

Understand what I mean...I like the cover (it is not lame) and I believe Joss Stone is talented.  I would normally agree with you and be against remaking recent songs, but this one was different. Feel free to hate the song....but my opinion stands.

grand theft sparrow

What is wrong with the world?!  :x

Don't knock it.  At least the drum machine on the cover can keep time.  Meg White can't say the same.   :?

context, context, context.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: chuckhimselfoBut she's very , very, cute.

True.  

When I saw them with the Strokes at Radio City, my friends and I were trying to determine if we thought she was hot simply because she was a drummer, albeit a bad (IMHO) drummer.  The jury's still out on that one.