official Fiona Apple thread

Started by neatahwanta, November 29, 2003, 05:24:09 PM

tpfkabi

I have no idea. Has she ever been asked in interviews why there was such a long space between albums? Surely it would have come up and that is your answer.

I don't know how someone would define prolific by her standards. I don't remember ever reading about her songwriting process. She may be similar to Trish Keenan of Broadcast. In one of her last interviews she said they had tons of unreleased material that the public would never hear. Their last 'real' sole Broadcast album came out in 2005, too, and was said to be close to finished before her death.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Reel

Quote from: bigideas on June 18, 2011, 01:57:16 AM
I have no idea. Has she ever been asked in interviews why there was such a long space between albums? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NmPLNsx_v8&feature=related

23:00-26:15, good shit...

tpfkabi

Quote from: Reelist on June 18, 2011, 03:58:31 AM
Quote from: bigideas on June 18, 2011, 01:57:16 AM
I have no idea. Has she ever been asked in interviews why there was such a long space between albums? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NmPLNsx_v8&feature=related

23:00-26:15, good shit...

There's the answer right there. Good one.

What's puzzling is why wouldn't they want to write songs or movies for that long? I had forgotten about that long gap between Jackie Brown and Kill Bill probably because of him having films coming out pretty quickly afterwards - granted that is a little fudged by Kill Bill's staggered release.

Ryan Adams would be a good case study, too. He released tons of albums, 3 in one year with one being a double, and then he's just become really sparse. I don't know. Some may stop or slow down because they feel like they've reached the point of repeating themselves.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Your username hardly fits you.  Some artists are blessed with free time to actually pursue their art, but even then, they aren't any luckier than artists who tap into inspiration when it strikes them as opposed to continuously honing their craft.  Lots of personal issues arise that you simply don't have time to make art during, in fact, these personal issues usually lead to art being made once one finishes enduring them, but to force yourself to make art during it when you should otherwise be handling it could be irresponsible.

It all depends on how the artist works and how involved they allow themselves to be with the process.  In your case, if you feel you must always place your artform above all else and keep working no matter what, that's fine.  Do that.  Stay productive.  But for some artists, they simply operate in a different way and if Fiona Apple worked in any other way, she wouldn't produce music of the quality she's proven to reach when she feels the inclination.  Patience is a virtue.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

Quote from: walrus, the on June 20, 2011, 11:51:27 AM
Your username hardly fits you.

No one has done this in a while, but it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with an unreleased at the time Radiohead song I loved from their movie, Meeting People is Easy.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I didn't mean for you to change your username, I was just making a joke, but your new one clears everything up.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

RegularKarate

Pubrick

Yeah what's the new one about? Some reference I don't know? It kinda freaks me out a little. Also Torgo freaks me out.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

New Fiona Apple Music Imminent
"Coming in the next few weeks," says Epic Records chair L.A. Reid
Source: Pitchfork

It's been over six years since Fiona Apple released a new studio album, and in November, it seemed uncertain that her Extraordinary Machine followup would be issued anytime soon. But on Sunday, Epic Records CEO L.A. Reid posted a Tweet confirming that new material from Fiona will be released soon, as Perez Hilton notes.

"Lots of good music coming from @Epic_Records in the next few weeks. Stay tuned music fans. Welcome back Fiona!" Clarifying to a Twitter follower, he said, "YES Fiona Apple!"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

ono

Meant to post this a week or so ago when I first came across it, but it slipped my mind.  Pretty good cover she did a while ago.  Better than nothing to tide you over, right?  

MacGuffin

Fiona Apple Reveals Album Title
It's 23 words long
Source: Pitchfork

For her new album, Fiona Apple is harkening back to her When the Pawn... days (if you recall, the full title of that album is an eight-line poem). The title of the new record is a mouthful:

The Idler Wheel is wiser than the Driver of the Screw, and Whipping Cords will serve you more than Ropes will ever do.

Epic is aiming to release the record in late June. In the meanwhile, she'll play a series of U.S. live dates, including a stop at Pitchfork's Official SXSW Showcase on March 15.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Fi is back.  Wake da frak up.  :D]  Lots of videos, three new songs played.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Damn, I kinda regret not even trying to go to this even though I most likely wouldn't have gotten in.