My Local Film Festival is not big enuff to have its own thread

Started by Weird. Oh, April 01, 2004, 01:25:57 AM

Weird. Oh

I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about any of these films http://www.phillyfests.com/pff/templates/by_date.cfm playing. I'm new to film festivals and just really got into cinema less than a year ago. I really like most of what people suggest on this board. I looked through and saw a few that sounded interesting but I dont' want to waste 9 bucks on a some crap. The one i'm definitely seeing is Super Size Me. Any suggestions would be great...
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

modage

the Toronto Film Festival line-up makes me want to commit suicide...

Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee)
Bubble (Steven Soderbergh)
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan (Martin Scorsese)
Tideland (Terry Gilliam)
Hostel (Eli Roth)
Dave Chapelle's Block Party (Michel Gondry)
Oliver Twist (Roman Polanski)
Romance & Cigarettes (John Tuturro)
Corpse Bride (Tim Burton)
Elizabethtown (Cameron Crowe)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Shane Black)
A History Of Violence (David Cronenberg)
Revolver (Guy Ritchie)
Wallace & Gromit: Curse Of The Were-Rabbit (Nick Park, Steve Box)
Walk The Line (James Mangold)
Where The Truth Lies (Atom Egoyan)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Tommy Lee Jones)
Proof (John Madden)
North Country (Niki Caro)
In Her Shoes (Curtis Hanson)
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (Chan-Wook Park)
The Squid & The Whale (Noah Baumbach)
Shopgirl (Anand Tucker)
The Notorious Bettie Page (Mary Harron)
Capote (Bennett Miller)
The Great Yokai War (Takashi Miike)
Manderlay (Lars Von Trier)

and more...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

I have access only to the weakest mainstream can offer, so I think you need to appreciate the set up you have right now.

Also, considering I've never been to a film festival but also have never been able to watch 3 films in one day with a good stomach afterword, I also wonder if anyone else has drawbacks to the idea of film festivals. Too many movies on too many consecutive days? Someone once said film festivals should be eradicated and a run of art films set up for colleges around the country before official release. Of course that destroys the idea of any worthwhile publicity.

RegularKarate

Film festivals energize me, really.  
I love being able to see four or five films in one day and when they're all at different theaters, it makes it all the more exciting.

I think it does certainly affect your opinion on a certain film, but not necessarily in a bad way.  It heightens your sensativity to film too... it makes you an ultra-critic... especially if you're watching a lot of really GOOD films.

Ghostboy

It's totally exhausting, but oh-so-worthwhile. If you were doing it on a regular basis, it might get detrimental...but the occasional week of non-stop filmgoing becomes a sort of dream like reverie, and those times when you don't make it to the theater on time or you have to pass up one film for another are rather tragic (although once the disappointment has passed, the free two hours are sort of a blessing).

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modagethe Toronto Film Festival line-up makes me want to commit suicide...

Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee)
Bubble (Steven Soderbergh)
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan (Martin Scorsese)
Tideland (Terry Gilliam)
Hostel (Eli Roth)
Dave Chapelle's Block Party (Michel Gondry)
Oliver Twist (Roman Polanski)
Romance & Cigarettes (John Tuturro)
Corpse Bride (Tim Burton)
Elizabethtown (Cameron Crowe)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Shane Black)
A History Of Violence (David Cronenberg)
Revolver (Guy Ritchie)
Wallace & Gromit: Curse Of The Were-Rabbit (Nick Park, Steve Box)
Walk The Line (James Mangold)
Where The Truth Lies (Atom Egoyan)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Tommy Lee Jones)
Proof (John Madden)
North Country (Niki Caro)
In Her Shoes (Curtis Hanson)
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (Chan-Wook Park)
The Squid & The Whale (Noah Baumbach)
Shopgirl (Anand Tucker)
The Notorious Bettie Page (Mary Harron)
Capote (Bennett Miller)
The Great Yokai War (Takashi Miike)
Manderlay (Lars Von Trier)

and more...

When is this???
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ghostboy

Next week.

Two of the films there that I'd be most excited about if I was going would be Abel Farerra's Mary and (especially) Matthew Barney's Drawing Restraint 9/

Sal

Quote from: GhostboyNext week.

Two of the films there that I'd be most excited about if I was going would be Abel Farerra's Mary and (especially) Matthew Barney's Drawing Restraint 9/

Bjork's OST is already available for that movie if one is so inclined to 'seek' it out. :violin:

Ghostboy

Yeah, it's been discussed at length in the Bjork thread - where news of the film first emerged. I don't have it yet, though - I keep forgetting to order it (I could just get it from iTunes, but I like to have the CD on my shefl).

Cinephile, if you read this, and are you planning on seeing anything this year?

Pubrick

Quote from: Sal
Quote from: GhostboyNext week.

Bjork's OST is already available for that movie if one is so inclined to 'seek' it out. :violin:
it was already posted in the bjork thread and it's one of those soundtracks that will work better with the movie. at least i hope so.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: GhostboyCinephile, if you read this, and are you planning on seeing anything this year?

i'll know wednesday what i'm available to get tickets for but for now, this is the ideal list for me.

this thursday:
Sarah Silverman: Jesus Is Magic

friday:
Three Times

sunday:
Elizabethtown

next thursday:
Thumbsucker
Romance & Cigarettes
The Squid & The Whale
The Matador
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
The Great Yokai War

friday:
Drawing Restraint 9

saturday:
Winter Passing

sickfins

i am booking tickets early tomorrow morning
list for the finsss

definetly
bubble (new soda)
block party (new gondry [he's there in the flesh too])
caché (based on advice given to me)
thumbsucka

perhapsss
tideland
romance and cigarettes
the squid and the whale

no thanks
revolver

choices based on what will soon be in wide release and what will never see the light of day again

expect a full report complete with wild salmon and cod

Ghostboy

Thumbsucker's getting wide release soon, sickfins. I'd put Tideland (and a great deal of other material) on higher priority than that.

sickfins

Quote from: GhostboyThumbsucker's getting wide release soon, sickfins. I'd put Tideland (and a great deal of other material) on higher priority than that.

it was my one exception for that kind of thing

should there be a q&a with mike mills i will begin my question by shouting
YEAH chhh SOCK ONE THIS IS SOCK TWO

other than tideland what would you recommend i substitute it with

Ghostboy

I don't think Three Burials has American distribution yet. Manderlay's a must, if you're a Von Trier fan (although that'll be coming out within the next six months). As I mentioned, I wouldn't want to miss Ferrera's Mary or Barney's Drawing Restraint 9. And I'm insanely curious about Romance & Cigarettes. Winter Passing will have Will Ferrell's first dramatic role - it'd be interesting to see how he pulls it off.

Of course, having seen Thumbuscker already, my opinion is weighted. It's a good film, so you're not selling yourself short by seeing it (aside from the whole part about opening soon - within the next two weeks, I think, at least in the US).