Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

polkablues

I agree completely with Tyler.

God, that felt weird to say.
My house, my rules, my coffee

InTylerWeTrust

Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Neil

Thought I'd given Dylan's new rasp a listen.

It's funny that Tom Waits has had a much more abrasive and intense growl for years and that's totally cool with folks but dylan catches so much heat for his voice with his last four or five realeases.  I don't mind this new album though.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Neil on September 15, 2012, 02:31:52 PMIt's funny that Tom Waits has had a much more abrasive and intense growl for years and that's totally cool with folks but dylan catches so much heat for his voice with his last four or five realeases.

I guess it's a matter of taste, but here's my defense of that position. Tom Waits is not for everyone, and I'm not a massive fan or anything, but at least he's consistent and controlled. Dylan's voice these days oscillates between a choking rasp and an ear-piercing whine. It's sort of inlistenable to me.

diggler

Not quite as good as Innerspeaker, but there's some great songs nonetheless. Their singer sounds so much like John Lennon it's creepy.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

mogwai

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

DocSportello

Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city

Neil

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 15, 2012, 03:53:34 PM
I guess it's a matter of taste, but here's my defense of that position. Tom Waits is not for everyone, and I'm not a massive fan or anything, but at least he's consistent and controlled. Dylan's voice these days oscillates between a choking rasp and an ear-piercing whine. It's sort of inlistenable to me.

To me, Dylan has focused his efforts on being inconsistent over and over again throughout his career.  To doubt that dylan has control over what he's doing is pretty bold. But, I do understand your issues.  It took me a while to warm up to them, but i've since found modern times very listenable, and even the newest record, "Tempest," isn't as harsh as, "together through life." The only dylan phase i've yet to connect with is his saved years, and i dig some of those tunes too.

But anyhow i've been on a huge nada surf kick,  and thought i'd post a song of theirs that cinephiles may find fun.

It's not one of my favorites of theirs but thought it was appropriate for sick sacks.

mogwai

mogwai

Continuing with my Mogwai trend:

Neil

It's great to know the bassist for MMW plays in stuff like this, and the fact that it's his brother makes it even more neat.

Fantastic honest songwriting.

Frederico Fellini

A girl from work introduced me to Lana del rey's music very recently... I never touch "new music", because it all sucks dick. But being a David Lynch fan, this cover caught my attention:

So mellow and beautiful.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Neil

Quote from: Freddie on December 20, 2012, 10:43:49 PM
I never touch "new music", because it all sucks dick.

See post above yours.

jenkins

This song makes me think of kissing the girl who likes this song

You know how after kisses you still want the song to make you think of the kisses. You know?

Reel

you're not gonna be weird too, are you?