Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 29, 2012, 02:08:37 PM
"Stop breaking down" (Million times better than the rolling stones version)

no

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: RegularKarate on August 29, 2012, 02:30:12 PM
Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 29, 2012, 02:08:37 PM
"Stop breaking down" (Million times better than the rolling stones version)

no

YES

But you know, that's just like uh... My opinion, man. If you like the Stones version better, then that's cool. I respect that. I like it too but I still think the Stripes version is the best one.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Brando

I've been listening a lot to the new Cory Branan album Mutt. If you've never listened to him, I think he's the best singer songwriter writing songs at the moment. I can't think of anyone right now better lyrically. In a review of one of his previous albums, Rolling Stone said he was one of the best current singer songwriters as well.  He's from Memphis so he's apart of that scene along with Lucero (Jeff Nichols', the director, brother's band).  There's a lot of humor in his lyrics which isn't common with singer songwriters today.  He gets compared to John Prine a lot.

Here's a song off the new album. I'm a huge Bruce Springsteen fan.  There have been a lot of bands that have tried to write a Springsteenesque song.  This is by far the best. 
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

cinemanarchist

Animal Collective - Centipede Hz

Really loving it on first listen. Great summer rock album (at least as much as AC could ever be expected to produce) and it contains the phrase "Bionic Hee-Haw," so what's not to like?
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Neil

I've been listening to The Wood Brothers a lot.

I had no idea that the bassist from Martin, Moeski and Wood (wood) had a brother that's a god damn badass. Well, any how they've put out about 3 down home records that are just great.

Here's a good traditional arrangement that they did

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Robyn

Quote from: cinemanarkissed on August 29, 2012, 05:08:11 PM

Really loving it on first listen. Great summer rock album (at least as much as AC could ever be expected to produce) and it contains the phrase "Bionic Hee-Haw," so what's not to like?

Oh, I don't know. Deakipede Dkz haven't clicked for me yet. I don't know if it's because I just don't like Animal Collective that much any more or if is because it just isn't that good. Amanita is one of the best songs AC have made, tho. That ending slays me everytime.

EDIT: And todays supernatural is great. And Applesauce.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: KJ on August 29, 2012, 07:55:53 PM
Quote from: cinemanarkissed on August 29, 2012, 05:08:11 PM

Oh, I don't know. Deakipede Dkz haven't clicked for me yet. I don't know if it's because I just don't like Animal Collective that much any more or if is because it just isn't that good. Amanita is one of the best songs AC have made, tho. That ending slays me everytime.

EDIT: And todays supernatural is great. And Applesauce.

I agree with you in that it's not amazing across the board, and it's not as good as I wish it was, but I'm still happy with it and it's nice to hear some real drums from them again.

InTylerWeTrust

This album is fucking awesome. Has a Drake/kanye kind of style but his lyrics are clever and fucking hilarious.

For those that don't know, Childish Gambino = Donald Glover (the black dude from Community).

Favorite tracks:

kids
heartbeat
l.e.s
fire fly

cinemanarchist

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on September 10, 2012, 10:00:14 AM

This album is fucking awesome. Has a Drake/kanye kind of style but his lyrics are clever and fucking hilarious.

For those that don't know, Childish Gambino = Donald Glover (the black dude from Community).

Favorite tracks:

kids
heartbeat
l.e.s
fire fly

I like Gambino okay, but I did not enjoy this album very much at all. Way too heavy on the "it's so hard to be a black kid that likes white music," thing. I will say that I listen to his newer mixtape "Royalty," quite a bit and think it delivers. I'd be interested to hear how you think it compares to Camp. Also, Royalty uses the Nightcall sample from Kavinsky, so a few points for that.

Brando

Quote from: cinemanarkissed on September 10, 2012, 01:02:15 PM
Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on September 10, 2012, 10:00:14 AM

Favorite tracks:

kids
heartbeat
l.e.s
fire fly

I like Gambino okay, but I did not enjoy this album very much at all. Way too heavy on the "it's so hard to be a black kid that likes white music," thing. I will say that I listen to his newer mixtape "Royalty," quite a bit and think it delivers. I'd be interested to hear how you think it compares to Camp. Also, Royalty uses the Nightcall sample from Kavinsky, so a few points for that.

I just can't get into this guy.  "Way too heavy on the "it's so hard to be a black kid that likes white music," thing." I totally agree with that and partially has to do with why I can't really get into his music. The Pitchfork review of his album made the same point.  It also mentioned it's no longer true cause Kanye West has Bon Iver on his album and Jay-Z attends Grizzly Bear concerts and rappers/hip hop artist are dressing a lot like hipsters now too.

I don't listen to a lot of rap but it seems that this guy has more references to his dick than any other rapper.

I don't find his lyrics clever at all.  ee cummings on her face, now that's poetry in motion. To me that's your average crappy rap lyric but since he has this geeky persona and someone who might read EE cummings people are calling that clever.

I just keep hearing I should check this out and everybody thinks he's great but I just can't get into it.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: cinemanarkissed on September 10, 2012, 01:02:15 PM

Way too heavy on the "it's so hard to be a black kid that likes white music," thing.

Dude that's why it's so damn funny. He's NOT being serious at all. You have to understand that he is A COMEDIAN first  and THEN a rapper. Most of what he says is sarcastic and overdone for comedic purposes. I see him as a sort of "Black Eminem", Not talent-wise or even content-wise, but I mean in the style: The way that he says the most outlandish shit and never means any of it. Obviously Gambino is a little softer and more "backpack" than Eminem, and I LIKE THAT... because he's being himself. He doesn't pretend to be a gangster or any of that bullshit.

I also love the instrumentals, they sound beast as fuck in my car.

I recently just got into Gambino (my girlfriend started playing it in the car and that's how I discovered it.... She has also introduced me to John Mayer's music, but that's a story for another day) so yeah, I haven't heard "Royalty" yet, but I'll check it out.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: Brando on September 10, 2012, 01:42:12 PM

I just can't get into this guy.  "Way too heavy on the "it's so hard to be a black kid that likes white music," thing." I totally agree with that and partially has to do with why I can't really get into his music. The Pitchfork review of his album made the same point.  It also mentioned it's no longer true cause Kanye West has Bon Iver on his album and Jay-Z attends Grizzly Bear concerts and rappers/hip hop artist are dressing a lot like hipsters now too.

I just keep hearing I should check this out and everybody thinks he's great but I just can't get into it.

Well, I LIKE IT and that's good enough for me...

But I'm curious, what current rappers do you guys like then? 

As for me, I can't really think of many rappers of today that catch my attention (aside from Gambino and a couple others).... I still bump my READY TO DIE album and my REASONABLE DOUBT/THE BLUEPRINT albums (Old school Jay-z is the greatest fucking rapper ever!).

And of course, I still bump MY BEAUTIFUL DARK TWISTED FANTASY... A fucking Masterpiece.

Last Eminem album was kinda disappointing and WATCH THE THRONE was good but not great.

Brando

I don't listen a lot but pretty much a front runner when It comes to rap. Although i don't listen to Jay-z, biggie or 2Pac which are supposed to be the greatest of all time. I just can't get into them.

I listen to
Nas- Illmatic
Kanye West
Tribe called Quest
Wu tang clan
Das Racist
the odd future people
50 Cent- Get rich or die trying (guilty pleasure)

Anyone listening to FRANK OCEAN'S Channel Orange album?  I really like it.

cinemanarchist

Some hip-hop that I never get tired of:

MF Doom
Action Bronson
Ghostface Killah
Aesop Rock
Curren$y
EL-P
Joey Bada$$ (i love $ rappers!)
Gang Starr
Atmosphere
Clipse

HeywoodRFloyd

I've been listening to Arvo Pärt recently, And I am convinced he is the greatest living composer today.