Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

mogwai

tpfkabi

Quote from: Christian on May 08, 2011, 02:35:04 PM

This has changed my feeling on the band, and now going back to their debut I think I may have been too hard on them.

A real question I would like some serious music reviewers to debate is why this seems to be so successful while the last Midlake album which draws from very similar influences was generally not well liked, even by myself.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

The new Fleet Foxes has some of the worst songwriting I can ever remember hearing.  :doh:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

mogwai

Ditto. I heard Fleet Foxes is doing the soundtrack for Red Dead Redemption 2. Stoked!

SiliasRuby

Tyler, The Creator-Goblin (Vinyl)
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pedro

Quote from: Stefen on May 08, 2011, 07:57:25 PM
The new Fleet Foxes has some of the worst songwriting I can ever remember hearing.  :doh:
That's nonsense.  I think the new album is much better than the first.  Did you like that?

Srsly, wtf?  Some of the worst you can ever remember hearing?  Are you just referring to the lyrics?  They can certainly be corny sometimes. but I don't listen to them very closely.  To me, songwriting means much more than lyrics, which always come second.  Just focusing on the chord progressions, melodies, and song structures, I think the songs are very, very strong.  When these elements are combined with the arrangements, instrumentation, and production choices, some beautiful music is created. 

Obviously I'm not going to convince you to like the new Fleet Foxes; I just want to know what exactly you mean by "songwriting" and maybe get some specific criticisms on the table. 

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pedro on May 11, 2011, 01:42:54 PMSrsly, wtf?  Some of the worst you can ever remember hearing?  Are you just referring to the lyrics?  They can certainly be corny sometimes. but I don't listen to them very closely.  To me, songwriting means much more than lyrics, which always come second.  Just focusing on the chord progressions, melodies, and song structures, I think the songs are very, very strong.  When these elements are combined with the arrangements, instrumentation, and production choices, some beautiful music is created.

If the singing is just another instrument and the words get lost in the mix, I agree, that's fine, and I usually don't care about the lyrics. But I think if you put lyrics front-and-center, they have to be good. No one is forcing them to sing words, or sing at all. It's their choice to present those lyrics to the world.

Stefen

No, no. I love the new album. Worst songwriting ever was obviously hyperbole, and I didn't mean the music, I meant the lyrics. I love the album and it's the one I've listened to most this year, I just find some of the lyrics corny. Too many me's and I's. Still, like I said a couple pages ago, my beef with the lyrics isn't enough for me to not like the album. I love the production and especially Robin's voice. I just don't like it as much as their last album. Maybe it will end up being better, but it isn't yet.

Did anyone watch their NPR concert last night?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pedro

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 11, 2011, 02:06:16 PM
Quote from: Pedro on May 11, 2011, 01:42:54 PMSrsly, wtf?  Some of the worst you can ever remember hearing?  Are you just referring to the lyrics?  They can certainly be corny sometimes. but I don't listen to them very closely.  To me, songwriting means much more than lyrics, which always come second.  Just focusing on the chord progressions, melodies, and song structures, I think the songs are very, very strong.  When these elements are combined with the arrangements, instrumentation, and production choices, some beautiful music is created.

If the singing is just another instrument and the words get lost in the mix, I agree, that's fine, and I usually don't care about the lyrics. But I think if you put lyrics front-and-center, they have to be good. No one is forcing them to sing words, or sing at all. It's their choice to present those lyrics to the world.

I would agree.  It just takes between 5 and 10 listens of most any album before I even consider paying attention to lyrics.  There are obvious exceptions, but there's something about the way  I listen to music that ignores lyrics at first.  It is similar to listening to music in a foreign language. 

Songwriting is clearly tied up with lyrics, and when they're presented front-and-center they should be evaluated.  They just tend to play second fiddle in my musical cognition. 

mogwai

for petes sake

Quote from: Stefen on May 11, 2011, 02:11:35 PM
Did anyone watch their NPR concert last night?

I did and the sound quality was horrible in all respects.  Like you I think the new album sounds beautiful, but man these guys just do not translate live.

Reel

:yabbse-cry:

RegularKarate

Quote from: Reelist on May 12, 2011, 06:58:52 PM
:yabbse-cry:

I'm confused, are you disappointed in the album?  Did you really think it would be good?  It looks like a bunch of buzz names poured over Norah Jones.  It looks awful.

Or are you sad that it's good?

Or are you sad because the music is sad?

Or are you sad that Norah Jones still does stuff?

cronopio 2

i find danger mouse and his ambitions very boring. also jack white's ambition's, and norah jones'.