NYMPH()MANIAC

Started by Ravi, August 02, 2011, 12:35:10 AM

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on April 05, 2014, 04:25:22 PM
Despite Volume II's inconsistencies, the film as a whole has too many good things about it to be dismissed. Any film that inspires this much contemplation for me is worth seeing (repeatedly).
you're so adorable. enjoyed the whole post and you're becoming like my jared leto spirit animal, what i think jared letos and spirit animals could be like. you tickled me for a future day when i wanna 1/2 the nymphos

Cloudy

For a few days I've been trying to summon the reasons for why I thought this didn't work for me...and I blame the film for not making me hate it enough or like it enough, which is very unlike Trier. I'd disagree with Wilder in saying that I don't really crave to watch this again at all. I don't recall scenes that I find myself itching to dive back into. Each image felt like an overwritten representation rather than truth......if you're into Godard you'll dig it.

Pubrick

Quote from: Cloudy on April 10, 2014, 03:04:15 AM
....if you're into Godard you'll dig it.

Single handedly made me lose hope for this film.
under the paving stones.

wilder

I don't recall scenes that I find myself itching to dive back into. Each image felt like an overwritten representation rather than truth

I get what you mean in a way. I found Vol. 1 immensely entertaining, though. To be honest I was completely disinterested in the trailers, and not having liked Melancholia or Antichrist, wasn't sure if I was going to bother seeing it at all. So glad I did. For me the strength of the film lies in its construction. Though obviously very different stories, the closest thing it reminded me of was Eyes Wide Shut, where you have all these episodic adventures that in combination add up to something much larger, an exploration of a subject so fundamental and in some ways endless that the tip of the iceberg shown leaves your mind to wonder deeper about the events you've seen and their implication on everything else you know about relationships, or in the case of Nymphomaniac, on carnal desire and the possible groundlessness of some psychological truths we accept so readily (I don't think I'm even hitting on it exactly with that description).

......if you're into Godard you'll dig it.

I'm not much of a fan of Godard at all, and don't see the connection aside from the numerical graphics overlaid in some scenes. Can you elaborate?

Cloudy

Just to be clear, I really like and agree with both of your posts on the film. But a lot of those good qualities are in an allegorical sphere rather than just plain simple cinematic feelings (Godard). Part 1 was really entertaining, but in a TV entertainment way. I regret waiting to see this in theaters because it's his least cinematic film. It's as if he made it to be seen on your laptop. The script was probably a way more enjoyable experience to read than the film itself.
To know where I'm coming from: I love Breaking the waves, Dancer, antichrist, melancholia

Thought (Part 1) was a good time at the movies, just not LVT.

ElPandaRoyal

SPOILERS MAYBE!! I Dunno, whatever, it's just me rambling.

This didn't help me improve my relationship with von Trier at all. Quite the contrary. To me it just read as a collection of banalities interweaved with some inane philosophical/historical/artistic conversations. I tried to watch it as drama, I tried to see it as comedy, it didn't work either way. The narrative structure felt like I was watching a hardcore version of Slumdog Millionaire. And I'm almost forced to use one of my least favorite things one can say about a movie: pretentious. Either that or downright insulting, the ending felt like what eating a big pile of shit must feel like. And this time there aren't even great performances to make it at least mildly interesting. As for the hardcore sex scenes, I actually felt like the first one (a blowjob on the train that shows you these girls are not just talking shit, they're there to go all the way) was strong enough to be there, as was the whole pedophile penis shot (which is probably the only great scene in the two parts and what it's really all about, sex as a strong indicative of your personality, something you can't run away from, something that encapsultes what you are, but is immediately followed by a cringe worthy dialogue about pedofilia - it's what I call a cliched politically incorrect speech, just like the dialogue about the N word for instance, so on the nose you can actually see booger. Not that what's being said isn't rightly put, it's just that it seems like its being shout by an annoying 15 year old. As for the rest of the hardcore shots, they're there for shock value, nothing else. I'm sorry von Trier fans, but I just can't get into this or any of his stuff from the past 10 years.

/END RAMBLING.
Si

Alexandro

yeah, I gotta admit (sadly) that JB's review is spot on, and wilder's is pretty much so too, except for the part that the film has too many good things to dismiss. four hours is a long time to not come up with good things, and the film manages that, but in the end it just chokes itself with exposition and over explanations.

wilder

Blu-ray from Magnolia on July 8, 2014

jenkins

really delighted by how conversational this thread is

the ending is like someone punches a baby and the 2nd part is less vibrant as a whole. group agreement i think

thought the first part had more luscious story textures, except my personal emotions hum surprising sexual tensions as i vividly remember my s&m; hands roped and bottom-half leather-strapped to the couch, you know, my naked ass a hotspot, those sequences i felt past the screen and i remember them as my own weird strange stories but lars can we talk about your ending. you're blowing it

saw this is as a theatrical 1/2. an elderly couple sat behind us, in the third back row, which i selected for anxiety-safety reasons. i forgot about the news, interviews, responses, expectations, etc. and movies like the nymphos are for sure why i want to be in a theater. omitted part about all the scenes that made me laugh

wilder

wilder

Three clips from the director's cut of Vol. II

Lottery

Damn man, the teaser for the Director's Cut is seriously NSFW for real.

Bethie

I agree with yall about this movie being laaaame. I think I invested too much time to be given that ending.
who likes movies anyway

wilder

Directors Cut will be available VOD on October 2, 2014

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks