NYMPH()MANIAC

Started by Ravi, August 02, 2011, 12:35:10 AM

jenkins

Neil

Interesting poster. The use of the apple is AWESOME and so is the use of the single wedding band.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Punch

http://vimeo.com/81500473

Chapter 7: The Mirror
The image you see in a mirror will at first glance seem like an exact replica of the object you're looking at. However, this is in fact false, as the object will always be a mirrored, and thus flawed, version of the original object.
Joe tries to rid herself of her sexuality.

"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Drenk

Ascension.

Robyn

the danish film critics are excited.

Drenk

NYMPH()MANIAC I :

Well. It's weird to say something right now, because it's just half a movie. First, I was surprised; the movie was funnier than what I expected, very entertaining. It's all about style too. The character of Joe isn't very interesting, though. But I've never loved Lars Von Trier; so, it can move people...? It's a weird but coherent object. A lyrical/punk filmmaking. But it feels something like LVT doesn't care about his subject, or doesn't say interesting things about it.

I can't really say anything else, I miss a big part of the movie. I'll watch it next week.
Ascension.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Volume I is available to rent now:

$9.99

Amazon
Flixfling

I'm assuming those are all 1080p. Certainly the YouTube must be.

There are some torrents up of volumes I and II but they all appear to be 480p. Yuck.

See other on-demand options here.

Axolotl

This is his actual masterpiece.
Don't ruin it for yourself by waiting weeks between the two parts, the break-point functions as an intermission at best.

I don't know how I could even address such a huge, throbbing, veiny, engorged film after just having tasted it once, so this post is going to be as loose as the titular character's vagina and try not have any plot leakage.

At the beginning of the film, Skarsgard namedrops One Thousand and One Nights, The Decamaron, and The Canterbury Tales as books that constitute his sexual education.
This is the first of the dozens winking self-reflections in the course of the film, more on that later.
What places this in the pre-novelistic traditions of those book is not only the most traditional framing device that they share, or the episodic self-contained nature of the stories, or the wild erudite digressions into seemingly random topics, or how those stories wear their metaphors on their sleeves, but also one of their main themes- the commingling of sex with violence and death.

Scheherazade and Shahryar's marital bed(the frame story of 1001 Nights) is a scene where the King(Shahryar) has killed dozens of his previous wives after spending one night with them to sate his jealousy, and his latest wife Scheherazade survives night-by-night thanks only to the spell of great storytelling. In the Decameron's frame-tale the storytellers have found refuge in a villa untouched by the Black Death all around it. I haven't read the Canterbury Tales. Skarsgard most tellingly omits 120 Days of Sodom, the most obvious antecedent.
While this sex-violence-death nexus has been thoroughly and directly explored in 20th century art, this film is still fresh,exciting, and punk rock in its exploration of what if anything seperates pleasure and anguish, with its cock shot slide-shows, its Godardian intrusion of text on images, split-screens,  discordant-at-first-then-clearly-appropriate music choices, its blurring of boundaries between the real
and imaginary, and its monologues indicting of political correctness and therapy sessions, and expressing sympathy for pedophiles.

Oh and it's really, uncomfortably funny.

<Mild spoilers>
Few interesting/amusing observations/self-references before I fall asleep.
The first bit of music once the story begins is Shostakovich's Waltz No. 2, you can guess how significant that choice is. This is the film where Nicole Kidman's character makes the choice she only fantasized about.
There's a recreation of the opening scene from Antichrist, complete with lascia ch'io pianga playing.
There's a scene where a collective of young nymphomaniacs who've formulated strict and untenable set of rules and conditions about how to go about having lots of sex.
Most of the films characters have single alphabet names. von Trier only bothers to make up names when there's some meaning behind them.
Joe- short for Joseph/Josephine meaning God Adds/Increases. The fibonacci sequence plays an important part in her story.
Seligman- Famous psychologist. Developed the Learned Helplessness theory for clinical depression
Jerome- I've got nothing, probably Hieronymus?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Axolotl on March 08, 2014, 05:50:39 PMDon't ruin it for yourself by waiting weeks between the two parts, the break-point functions as an intermission at best.

Okay, but where are you finding a good version of Volume 2? The 480p looks like garbage.

Axolotl

Some of the torrents are better quality than others, and the quality improves a bit after the initial dark alley scene but 480p doen't bother me because I've grown up watcing shit quality videos. You might want to wait a few days for a good release.
And I think 03 said he found a 1080p torrent.

Drenk

What did you think about Vol II, Axoliti? I know it shouldn't be cut in two, but I liked Vol I a lot and hated Vol II. It lost all its melancholy and beauty to become stupid provocation and full of shit.
Ascension.

Axolotl

I liked the latter half even more.
Why is it a stupid provocation, what response do you think it tries to provoke?

Drenk

SPOILERS

The discussion about the word "negro", the ending with P. and Jerôme (seriously? they introduce her twenty minutes before the end and she randomly fucks Jerôme in front of Joe?), and the last minute. But ultimately, I thought that the broken narrative - or I don't know how to call it - wasn't as good. That Joe wasn't interesting anymore. The emptiness of her vagina was similar to the emptiness of my implication. The movie makes fun of itself ("It was your least interesting digression"), the running gag of the symbol in the room that is linked to Joe's story, after three hours, isn't a gag anymore.

Vol I showed Joe growing up, her understanding of her sexuality. But I don't buy the message - if there is a message - about the link between death and sexuality; I hated the chapter of her father's death...What did you make of Joe's story?
Ascension.