NYMPH()MANIAC

Started by Ravi, August 02, 2011, 12:35:10 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

Character posters.

http://imgur.com/a/OgtFN

The Skarsgard one is best.

Cloudy

This is fucking amazing. Also, LOVED that last teaser trailer. Wow.

Drenk

New clip.

http://vimeo.com/78330045

No YouTube, of course, for obvious reasons.
Ascension.

Ravi

Nymphomaniac to be hardcore only as Lars von Trier gives up final cut
Unable to cut his sexually explicit film down from five hours, Danish director opts to let someone else cut the movie down to two, two-hour chunks – both including explicit footage
Ben Child
theguardian.com, Tuesday 12 November 2013 05.01 EST

Lars Von Trier has abandoned plans to release a softcore version of his sex epic Nymphomaniac. The film's two-part four-hour cut, which is due to debut in Copenhagen on Christmas Day, will now contain explicit scenes.

The release of Nymphomaniac will see the Danish director give up final cut for the first time in his career. The decision was apparently taken after Von Trier said he was unwilling to trim the two-part film's current five and a half hour running time himself. Nymphomaniac's strange fate is detailed in an extended making-of feature in the Danish film magazine Filmmagasinet Ekko which was picked up by the Hollywood Reporter.

"The short version is against Lars' own will, but he accepts it because he understands market mechanisms," says Von Trier's long-term producing partner Peter Aalbaek Jensen in the magazine article. "You cannot make a film for more than 60 million kroners (about $11 million or £6.9 million) that is so lengthy. Five and a half hours is so extreme that it reduces market value so radically that investors would have felt they had bought a pig in a poke."

It is extremely unusual a director of the artistic clout of Von Trier to allow somebody else to complete their vision, particularly on such a singular project as Nymphomaniac. It is not known if the longer five-and-a-half-hour cut will ever be released, and Jensen refused to confirm if Von Trier would take it to next year's Cannes film festival.

Nymphomaniac, which stars the film-maker's regular muse Charlotte Gainsbourg in the lead, has been billed as an exploration of the erotic life of a woman from infancy to middle age. Digital trickery and body doubles have reportedly been used to portray famous stars such as Uma Thurman, Stellan Skarsgård, Christian Slater, Jamie Bell and Shia LaBeouf having sex.

A teaser trailer for the much anticipated film was briefly removed from YouTube earlier this month after apparently falling foul of the site's rules on nudity and sexual content.

Pubrick

who's cutting it though?

ghostboy?
under the paving stones.

Drenk

Charlotte Gainsbourg is cutting it.

Trailer.

Ascension.

Pubrick

that's it.

the thing is, to be excited about the effects of this film is to be skarsgardy.. the reality is that we know we're all gainsbourgy.. except for JB or whatever. i'm interested in the asexual reading of this film, or even the homosexual reading, or the female reading, actually anything but the male reading.

because it's obviously made from the male perspective. it seems completely committed to it. at this point we can't just look at von trier films and think he's just trying to be shocking. i don't think he's ever solely been interested in that. he learned his lesson when Tarkovsky told him his first films were shit.

i think he's reflecting a certain ideology and playing with it. he is well aware of the potential reactions he can get from his work and while to the half-awake public it might just vaguely register as "outrage" or "sex ass dick cunt art" whatever, the REALLY interesting part is what the fuck is he doing this for? easy.. because it gets a reaction. haha.

but not just that. there's nothing cheap about starting with a cheap reaction if the content actually merits more sophisticated thought. this is the kind of thing Jack Horner dreamed about but without the ejaculate. why will this still merit a reaction beyond simply outrage? is a woman being a sex maniac really that outrageous? we KNOW it's not. but generally the consensus seems to be that it is.

it goes back to the bullshit i said when i first saw the brilliant use of () in the title. specifically:

Quote from: Pubrick on March 29, 2012, 09:49:35 PM
...  the inexpressible and inaccessible nature that man assigns to women. The closed brackets exclude the reader  (paralleled in the film by the male listener, whom the synopsis wants us to identify as the "reader" of the woman's life which she recounts in chapters -- a common Von Trier trope) from cohesion but it also grants a sanctuary within the greater context of the word, a safe house, a complete and open world inside a defined one. ...

if gainsbourg is really editing this then it only adds, inadvertently yet perfectly, to distorted veil through which we see the direct telling of her words. due to our twisted understanding of female sexuality we misconstrue her behaviour as unreasonably perverse or even amusing -- as skarsgard displays in the trailer and which gainsbourg reprimands.

von trier is the danish PTA as tarkovsky was the russian kubrick. what a time to be alive.
under the paving stones.

Robyn

eh, I am pretty disappointed to be honest.

i'm the complete opposite of disappointed.
all of these little teasers we've been given have been really nice and cool;
but THIS is genuinely exciting.

Jeremy Blackman

Edited a working link into the above post.

I am definitely not disappointed.

I never thought I'd hear Rammstein in a Lars von Trier trailer, but I'm buying it.

Jeremy Blackman

I might as well just upload this now. Seems unlikely that it will stay on YouTube.

Cloudy

What's happening with the two versions of Nymphomaniac: Interview with Producer
http://www.screendaily.com/territories/europe/whats-happening-with-the-two-versions-of-nymphomaniac/5063877.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

Important bit:

As planned from the project's inception, both versions of the project are in two parts — the four-hour version is 2 x 2 hours, the 5.5-hour version is likely to be about 2.5 hours for part one and then three hours for part two.

"We decided the short version would go into distribution first so we can send the same film out to the whole world and then, after that, we will prepare the long version for distribution," she continued.

"We don't know how and where that one will be distributed. It will be later in 2014."

While the shorter version is edited to be less explicit with close-up, don't expect a Disney movie. "There is a lot of nudity and sex in the short version," Vesth reassured. "It's not like we put in other scenes or its suddenly telling another story or it's cutting up the scenes in a different way."

In Denmark, the film will receive the 15+ (highest) age rating when Nordisk launches it; even the short version is likely to be unrated or get an NC-17 in the US, where Magnolia will release. TrustNordisk has nearly sold out the world on the film.

Longer version

Plans are still being decided for the launch of the longer version. "All the distributors have to decide for themselves how they will put the uncensored one out," she said.

Editing on both versions was led by Melancholia editor Molly Marlene Stensgaard, from late 2012 through summer 2013 and with final touches happening now.

Von Trier didn't work directly on the edit of the shorter version but only for practical reasons.

"For him it was important not to be confused," Vesth added. "It was important to have a clear vision of one of the versions... We are not sending out anything that he would not agree on."

Jeremy Blackman

Well... someone got that story very wrong.

Tictacbk

They should release an edit that's just the 90 minutes cut for the "less explicit" version.