INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

P Heat

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 20, 2014, 10:49:48 PM
She's just Krolling us.

Someone delete this post.

Yep. she is... with the workaholics guy.
Found on reddit lol. It was one of you wasn't it?
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Pozer

mogwai

Quote from: Larry Doc Sportello on June 20, 2014, 03:04:30 PM
YES, ITS REAL

FROM C & RV

Warner Bros' Sue Kroll Says "Inherent Vice" Is A Masterpiece

In keeping with the early buzz Inherent Vice has received from industry insiders -- and perhaps not all that surprising given she is a representative of the company bankrolling the film -- Warner Bros' President of Marketing and Worldwide Distribution, Sue Kroll, has spoken to Deadline about the company's suite of upcoming projects and included some highly complimentary words about PTA's next:
Warners has a pretty full Academy slate after two very successful years in a row with 2012 Best Picture winner Argo and 2013's Gravity which picked up seven Oscars, along with an Original Screenplay win for Her and two other Oscars for The Great Gatsby. Kroll says the year looks good, including Paul Thomas Anderson's much-anticipated Inherent Vice.
"You're gonna love it. It's the most wonderful movie," says Kroll. "So entertaining, so smart, so fun. I think [it's] different for him but it's a masterpiece. I love it - I think it's my favorite movie of his except Magnolia."

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.ca/2014/06/warner-bros-sue-kroll-says-inherent.html

I love how she claims that its "different" for him...PTA always taking left turns; Joaquin goes from Drifter to fucking Private eye

So this means Paul will finally win an Oscar for Best adapted screenplay? That's like him compared to Kubrick who only won an Oscar for best special effects.

Drenk

Hey, guys, finally a real thing!

The framing chart during production, from Cigarettes & Red Vines.

Ascension.

max from fearless

MORE FRIEND OF A FRIEND OF A FRIEND WATCHED "INHERENT VICE" CHATTER, WHICH I CANNOT HELP BUT EAT UP IN SPADES...

FROM HOLLYWOOD ELSEWHERE

"Last night I spoke to a friend who knows a woman who recently saw Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice (Warner Bros., 12.12). Her initial nutshell reaction was that she "didn't get it" because...well, how could I know? But one of the apparent blockages was that it doesn't adhere to a precise narrative through-line that led anywhere in particular (i.e., no third-act payoff). But then she started to understand it a bit more when she began to think about it the next day. A film that's more about the journey than the destination. I told this guy that three months ago an industry friend who'd seen Vice had described it in a similar way, calling it "brilliant and mesmerizing in an atmospheric, non-linear sort of way" as well as "Lebowski-esque."

As reported on 7.2, I've heard "convincing chatter" that Vice will debut at the New York Film Festival."

greenberryhill

Two years ago, today, "The Master" trailer was released! I can feel "Inherent Vice" trailer is closer.

max from fearless

New York Film Festival Director and Selection Committee Chair, Kent Jones said:

"Every new Paul Thomas Anderson movie is an event, an experience – when the lights come up, you feel like you've been somewhere, and come back with your mind altered. Inherent Vice is a journey through the past, bringing the texture of the early 70s SoCal counterculture back to full blown life. It's a wildly funny, deeply soulful, richly detailed, and altogether stunning movie."

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: max from fearless on July 19, 2014, 12:00:35 PM
New York Film Festival Director and Selection Committee Chair, Kent Jones said:

"Every new Paul Thomas Anderson movie is an event, an experience – when the lights come up, you feel like you've been somewhere, and come back with your mind altered."

I've never known it to be put any better

Lottery

QuotePaul Thomas Anderson's film There Will Be Blood opens with barren mountains and what sounds like a swarm of bees. It's Greenwood's "microtonal string music", and it unsettles before, for six minutes, we watch Daniel Day-Lewis prospecting for oil. The opening ends with the same mountains, noise and weirdness. The duo's second collaboration — The Master — is even stranger. Rolling Stone says Greenwood is "redefining what is possible in film scores", but I don't expect him to agree when I tell him so. "Paul just has his music very loud in his films," he says. "It's a dream job for a composer. I was sending him music that was too long, and he was extending the scenes to fit the music. Which is insanity."

Next month, There Will Be Blood is being screened at London's Roundhouse, with a live score by the LCO. Bring an expanded mind. Next year, Inherent Vice — the third film this quietly eccentric duo have made — hits cinemas. How does it work? "Back and forth for months," Greenwood says. He misses it when they don't work together. The new film is based on a Thomas Pynchon novel. "I was sending him this 1960s pop thing I did, because the film is set then, asking, 'Is this of any use?' Then I flood him with different approaches until we find the right one." One bonus is that he gets to see eagerly anticipated cult films early. "Inherent Vice is funny," he says. "But there's a strange, dark seriousness going on throughout."

Full interview/article here:
http://the-king-of-ponytails.tumblr.com/post/92333715524/ten-minutes-out-of-didcot-parkway-in-a-leafy
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/culture/music/article1434796.ece

"Inherent Vice is funny...But there's a strange, dark seriousness going on throughout."
Similar to the book in that regard at least.

Benjyosos

QuoteFriend who saw Inherent Vice: "It's BONKERS. For reals, it tips into like Zucker Bros. level gags and broad humor. Strange, beguiling tone."

Source:
https://twitter.com/kristapley/status/491991693646782464

Lottery

Also:

QuoteIt's also completely finished. Credits and all. Has been for a hot minute.

https://twitter.com/kristapley/status/491992107419049984

Jeremy Blackman

"It's BONKERS — weird, weird, weird" and "stylistically somewhat more restrained than his other films." I understand how that can work, but still... strange.

So, definitely not PDL.

Lottery

His camera moves even less but people do wackier shit on-screen than usual. One of the cool things about the camera work in The Master was that there was this sort of stateliness to it (if that makes sense).

The music is more all-over-the-place than usual, and he uses a few songs of the era. The score is much more Radiohead-sounding, just by way of having actual guitar and drums thrown in. There's some atmospheric electronic stuff in there, too.

This is a rather odd way of describing the music, really confuses things. Jonny G's interviews have him saying it's 'romantic' sounding and that he first tried like a 60s pop approach and then kept sending stuff until it matched. There was a sense of consistency on the last two films in terms of music- hopefully that will remain. I'm totally psyched to hear how Jonny G's style has evolved and I'd be a little disappointed if it actually is 'all-over-the-place'. But I have faith in the dude. I was/am expecting IV to have a Greenwoodified Bernard Herrmann approach- supported by wonky, creepy psychedelia (similar to the contrast of the grandness of Back Beyond and the wonky, unsettling jazz of Able-Bodied Seaman). That just makes sense in my head. Also, The Master's score is still very, very awesome.

Reel

Moving the camera is overrated