Hearts Of Darkness

Started by Satcho9, February 02, 2003, 09:30:37 PM

Satcho9

I rented this documentary on the making of Apocolypse Now. I really enjoyed it alot. The horror of making this movie would drive most people insane. Has anyone seen this? The stuff regarding Brando is fucking hilarious.."Whats wrong?" "I ate a bug"

MacGuffin

Excellent doc. You feel like you were there witnessing the pressures Coppola was under; watching Sheen get piss drunk and cutting himself after breaking a mirror, then be fascinated by his own blood; Coppola worrying not about Sheen after a heartattack, but who to replace him with if he died. Great stuff.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

This is a must see for anyone interested in filmmaking. I'd go so far as to say it's as good as Apocalypse Now itself. I really wish they'd release it on DVD (or have they since I last checked?). I was pissed that the Apocalypse Redux didn't have any extras, btw. They should have a boxed set of that, the original version, and Hearts Of Darkness. That would be great.

RegularKarate

I'd go as far as to say it's BETTER than Appocolypse Now.  I always found that movie to be overrated, but that doc is just fabulous.

rustinglass

A bit off topic.
I havent seen hearts of darkness yet but as far as "making of" documentaries go, I'd like to recommend The Humiliated.

It's the making of The Idiots and it's narrated by lars himself (he had this audio diary when making the film). I think that it is a great example of showing what it means to make a film, the suffering of the director, the responsability , the beauty and horror of it.
You can also see how lars is insane in the membrane and how he brutally tortures his actresses and himself.
I only wish that the making of dancer was as good as this one, I heard that bjork didn't want any footage of her in the documentary, that's why it sucked. The thing I liked the most is a part when the wardrobe lady complaints that bjork bit into and shredded the blouse she was supposed to wear that day and ran off into the woods, and lars shooting the murder scene.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pubrick

Quote from: rustinglassThe thing I liked the most is a part when the wardrobe lady complaints that bjork bit into and shredded the blouse she was supposed to wear that day and ran off into the woods, and lars shooting the murder scene.
hah yeah that was funny. but that second bit was on sum sick S&M shit. lars is one nasty dirty muvufucka i think.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

APOCALYPSE WHEN?
Source: CHUD

One of the all-time great documentaries about the making of a movie is also one of the least seen – Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse. It's filled with unflinching behind the scenes footage of the legendarily difficult Apocalypse Now shoot, and in many ways the documentary is as compelling as the actual film, and it definitely has thematic parallels.

Sadly, you just can't get the damn thing on DVD. I saw it on video tape about a decade ago, but have never seen it again since. Last year there was a very nice Apocalypse Now DVD set, which included the original cut and the longer Redux cut, but the lack of Hearts of Darkness was very obvious.

Today I had a chance to ask George Hickenlooper, who directed the documentary, about what the film's future might be. Sadly, it sounds like it's still quite up in the air. "I talked to Francis about it three years ago, and at the time he said he wasn't ready for it to go out," Hickenlooper said. "I think he's uncomfortable with certain aspects of the film."

It's not surprising that Coppola is a little uncomfortable – the film in many ways documents his meltdown during production. But Hickenlooper says that Coppola doesn't want some of the more colorful moments removed. "It's not that he wants me to cut something out, I think he might want to add additional footage," the director explained. "What bothers him the most is when he says, 'Martin Sheen's not dead until I say he's dead.' He wants that clip put in context. He's embarrassed, but the thing is that he looks heroic in it, in my opinion. He did promise me that he would put it out at some point... but not yet."

So what can be done to get Hearts of Darkness into your DVD collection? "Send Francis asking letters to put it out," Hickenlooper says.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 30, 2007, 02:29:40 PM
So what can be done to get Hearts of Darkness into your DVD collection? "Send Francis asking letters to put it out," Hickenlooper says.

and while your at it ask him for a free copy of the outsiders that he started giving away 2 years ago, which Pozer should have received by now.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/hearts-of-darkness.html

Title: Hearts of Darkness
Starring: N/A (Documentary)
Released: 20th November 2007
SRP: Price TBC

Further Details:
Paramount Home Entertainment has announced Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse which is an engrossing, unwavering look back at Francis Ford Coppola's chaotic, catastrophe-plagued Vietnam production, Apocalypse Now. The feature length documentary (1 Hr. 35 Min. 55 Sec) was released theatrically in 1991, and will be available to own from the 20th November. Extra material will include a commentary by Francis and Eleanor Coppola, a CODA: Thirty Years Later follow-up documentary, and a Eleanor Coppola introduces CODA: Thirty Years Later feature. We've attached the official artwork below:

grand theft sparrow

Seriously... they couldn't wait a fucking YEAR to put out the Complete Dossier???!!!!!

cine

ive read comments elsewhere about this dvd release and my only question is: why is everyone mad that it wasn't released with the dossier?

Pubrick

Quote from: Cinephile on October 19, 2007, 09:16:08 AM
ive read comments elsewhere about this dvd release and my only question is: why is everyone mad that it wasn't released with the dossier?

i don't understand the question. isn't it obvious? i mean why wouldn't everyone be mad? the complete dossier should've included this doco.. and EVERYONE knows this. is this some kind of riddle? here's a better one:

FLIP FLOP
who's there?
john kerry.
hahahahha
under the paving stones.

cine

oh late night drunk posts, i get it.  :therethere:

Alexandro

On this thread

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archives/2007/10/hearts_of_darkn.php

Hickenlooper complains about not being involved in the release of this DVD and i think that, a he says, this story will get interesting. Check it out.

MacGuffin

Apocalypse Cash Cow! Coppola Takes Doc About His Magnum Opus to DVD; Its Director Pouts
by Spencer Morgan; The New York Observer

Legendary director Francis Ford Coppola is being accused of hypocrisy and "corporation"-like behavior by fellow filmmaker George Hickenlooper (Factory Girl).

For the past four years, Mr. Hickenlooper—who along with his partner, Fax Bahr, wrote and directed the 1991 Emmy-winning authorized documentary Hearts of Darkness, which chronicled the problematic production process of Mr. Coppola's Apocalypse Now—has been urging its subject, who owns the distribution rights, to collaborate with him on a splashy DVD release. Indeed, Mr. Hickenlooper said, the two directors shook hands over such a project over lunch a few years ago.

Last week, however, Mr. Hickenlooper read on the industry blog hollywood-elsewhere.com that Paramount Home Video had slated Hearts of Darkness for a November release.

"This is a real slap in the face to me and to filmmakers in general," Mr. Hickenlooper, who had hoped to participate in commentary and presentation of the DVD, told the Transom by phone on Friday, Oct. 19. "It's very disillusioning because I worship Francis," whom he first met at age 16.

He allowed that reissuing the documentary was Mr. Coppola's prerogative not just legally, but personally, since it focuses on the perspective of the latter man's wife, Eleanor, during the famously fraught filming of Apocalypse. But given the corpulent vintner's recent public excoriations of actors Robert De Niro and Jack Nicholson for selling out, the younger director suggested that perhaps his idol might want to practice what he preaches. "He's trying to portray himself as this icon of artistic integrity," Mr. Hickenlooper said. "And yet simultaneously, he's completely burying me and my partner."

Mr. Coppola had not responded to phone calls or e-mails, he added. (The Transom had the same experience.)

"It's heartbreaking because this film made my career," Mr. Hickenlooper said. "It's not like I'm a ghostwriter. I'm a filmmaker."

Skeleton FilmWorks