Sitcoms

Started by TenseAndSober, March 31, 2003, 11:12:55 PM

BonBon85

I used to like Greg the bunny

(Before men vs. women paintball game)
Eugene Levy: When I'm out for blood I don't let sex get in the way!
Female puppet: Really? For me it's just the opposite!

fulty

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanCurb Your Enthusiasm is a worthy successor.
Totally agree..!!
This show has cured my Seinfeld withdrawal.  
Larry is like a pure, uncut, concentrated George.
I love it.

Also, anybody remember the "Life is Hell" cartoon strip before the Simpsons started?  Matt had to really tone it down when he went to TV.  
Kind of like Larry had to tone it down for network TV, but now he can let it go on HBO.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

The last great simpsons season was 96-97

after that mike scully and Ian Maxtone-Graham came in and well the show got  sad

now we watch it for a few good jokes thrown into cheesy episodes

but 97 was quite a year, poochie, laddie the dog, frank grimes

the next year the show statrted to go down hill

bonanzataz

the simpsons is not a sitcom. it's a cartoon comedy. not a situation comedy with a laugh track.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ReelHotGames

Anyone remember Flying Blind from... oh a decade ago on Fox, with Tea Leoni? That was a great sitcom.

As for other great TV comedies (see how I phrase that)

SportsNight
Larry Sanders
Simpsons
The Gary Shandling Show

and for me the king of all TV comedies, my hero, my idol...

The Dick Van Dyke Show
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Sleuth

Sports Night was terribly clever
I like to hug dogs

Kev Hoffman

I myself am not much of a TV fan, but used to feed off of The Simpsons.  I agree that quality has gone down drastically over the past 5 years, but can't help but to watch it besides.  I don't know why either, probably just out of habit.  It's sad to see something that was so great, go downhill into a sea of one-liners and 'sitcominess', but I must endure it until, slowly, the forgotten past ( I mean, even syndication has newer episodes running) of The Simpsons reappears on DVD.  Groening better hurry with Seasons 3-9 or I might just go mad!

the problem as i see it the show just changed too much but in a bad way, it went from having multiple plot lines in one episode, too having just one single plot line a episode, and that plot would revolve around how dumb homer is.

homer was always dumb but they made him dumber

And the show just lost its heart.

the show should have a edge, but not a " middle America is stupid and Hollywood rules" kind of vibe .

thats why i love king of the hill, it doesn't have that ultra swarmy quality to it . Daria for example is a cartoon i would call shit , the moral to that show is the only people who matter are ugly and unpopular and anybody with any kind of ambition is so un cool .

i wonder what mike judge thinks of daria, i cant see him being a fan.

mike judge fucking rules, we need more movies from this man

picolas

Quote from: picolasthe simpsons is not a sitcom. it's a cartoon comedy. not a situation comedy with a laugh track.

I beg to differ. Sitcoms don't need laugh tracks or live action to be classified as sitcoms. They need homourous situations that emerge from a given location, group of people (or things) and parameters. Your definition is whacked out of whakydom!

Sigur Rós

I personally think Frasier is the only cool sit-com. Anyone agree?

season 8 was amazing look at these episodes all from the same year

Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious
The Homer They Fall
A Milhouse Divided
Hurricane Neddy
The Twisted World of Marge Simpson
Homer's Phobia
The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
The Brother From Another Series
The Canine Mutiny
The Old Man and the Lisa
Homer's Enemy
The Simpsons Spinoff Showcase

MacGuffin

The highly-anticipated DVD debut of Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete First Season is set to arrive on January 13th. This two-disc set includes 4:3 full screen transfers and Dolby 2.0 stereo tracks, plus audio commentary with the cast including Larry David, Jeff Garlin, Cheryl Hines and Bob Weide, an exclusive interview with Larry David conducted by Bob Costas on HBO's "On the Record," additional interviews and episodic previews. Retail is $39.95.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

I hate curb...it's the worst of all HBO shows.

Sleuth

CYE is one of the best shows ever
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Fave sitcoms (I use this term to mean "half-hour comedy show"):

Simpsons

Friends

Roseanne reruns (the ones from before it imploded)

Golden Girls reruns

My precious Strangers with Candy DVDs

Sex and the City

I'm kinda getting into my Sports Night DVD set, which I got as a gift.

King of the Hill and Futurama are both pretty reliable for laughs, but my most-missed half-hour cartoon is The Critic. THAT was delicious!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.